United (Reserves)? V Livi Reserves

2 hours ago, MacArab said:

Not meaning to sound like a sour pussed dick here, bit given you got less that 1000, at home, at 3 o 'clock  on a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon, against a team that had to date amassed a mighty 4 points and shipped about 90 goals, and you had the chance to nail 2nd place to the wall.... I reckon we won't need to either open the JMFP nor order extra pehs.

Singing to the choir eh ken but your team;deserves better given what they have achieved this season....

Not sure that's really relevant to what I posted tbh. 

Falkirk style post. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The marketing at Livi leaves a lot to be desired, that's about the only area that hasn't improved the last two years, don't envy them the job of trying to attract more fans though, once fans bugger off and do something else with their time it's hard to get them back. 

The marketing at Livi leaves a lot to be desired, that's about the only area that hasn't improved the last two years, don't envy them the job of trying to attract more fans though, once fans bugger off and do something else with their time it's hard to get them back. 

Surely if a club like Motherwell can get their crowds up through innovative community projects and clever use of social media, we can do something similar? I agree it leaves a lot to be desired but sometimes the club just don’t help themselves on that front.

Getting a bit carried away from the topic at hand, like most Livi fans I’m glad we can just enjoy the game without any real pressure. Not sure what to expect from United, but I’d say coming through the next two unbeaten would be a good way to prepare for the play-offs

6 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Not sure that's really relevant to what I posted tbh. 

Falkirk style post. 

Hmm, let me translate my post for you, as I feel that it directly responds to your point, and them expands on the topic, but possibly I have not made my opinion clear.

My response to your thought...’Interested to see what kind of support we’ll bring through’, is that you will not bring many, and I have deduced that from the fact that there were less than  1000 at a home game, where the conditions were talior made for maximum turnout.

It then stands to reason that significantly fewer will come to a meaningless away match where there is a fair to middling chance that 2 reserve teams will be playing, thus United will not need to make extra facilities available for an expected large away (or home for that matter) support.

I then took the opportunity to compliment your team on their overachievement this season, and pointed out that for a town the size of Livingston, there is a shocking lack of local support given this accomplishment.

I also pointed out that I am aware that given you were in a likelihood one of the 943 people who bothered to go and support your team on Saturday, that I am not telling you anything you don’t already know.

As for the Falkirk style post comment, I expect that you feel that way due to Falkirk fans’ tendency to crowdwank. This is no such post. You mentioned crowds and I responded with my opinion.

No Livi fan should be embarrassed by their shite crowd sizes.

Every Arab should be embarrassed that we are finishing behind a club that attracts less than 1,000 supporters to a home game.

Think United will need to rest a few, Flood and Mickleson have both had a lot of game time recently. I’d like to see Smith get a start too.. others who have been playing well and fit enough could probably play: Mohsni, Ralston and Gillespie will probably need a start..

Just now, Socceroony said:

Not sure if United will play many reserves tomorrow as they've arranged a reserve game at teatime against St Johnstone tonight 

Who are United playing tomorrow night? I assume this will be a friendly seeing as how they don't have a league game until Saturday

20 minutes ago, Socceroony said:

Sorry lost the plot !!

Understandable - it must be the first time in about eight weeks that United aren't playing on a Tuesday. Arabs will have to find something else to entertain themselves on a wet Tuesday night

(Note to self - check 24/01/19 for unexplained population explosion in Dundee).

1 hour ago, MacArab said:

Hmm, let me translate my post for you, as I feel that it directly responds to your point, and them expands on the topic, but possibly I have not made my opinion clear.

My response to your thought...’Interested to see what kind of support we’ll bring through’, is that you will not bring many, and I have deduced that from the fact that there were less than  1000 at a home game, where the conditions were talior made for maximum turnout.

It then stands to reason that significantly fewer will come to a meaningless away match where there is a fair to middling chance that 2 reserve teams will be playing, thus United will not need to make extra facilities available for an expected large away (or home for that matter) support.

I then took the opportunity to compliment your team on their overachievement this season, and pointed out that for a town the size of Livingston, there is a shocking lack of local support given this accomplishment.

I also pointed out that I am aware that given you were in a likelihood one of the 943 people who bothered to go and support your team on Saturday, that I am not telling you anything you don’t already know.

As for the Falkirk style post comment, I expect that you feel that way due to Falkirk fans’ tendency to crowdwank. This is no such post. You mentioned crowds and I responded with my opinion.

Hey, that was us having a maximum turn out, earlier in the season we had just over 650 at a home game.

Unfortunately we're stuck between the Edin & Glasgow teams and Livingston/West Lothian is a hot bed for Celtic & Sevco fans., there is even a Celtic club shop in the Centre. But our past troubles are well documented and that hasn't helped, we've lost a few thousand fans over the years with having arseholes and crooks like Flynn & Massone in charge.

As Afro has said, we've wandered slightly off topic going on about our shite crowd, we get enough of that chat from Falkirk fans although I do appreciate that you weren't meaning it in a crowd w**k type way.

It's not really shocking that we have small crowds. Before Livingston FC came to the town most football fans were already committed to the teams their fathers/grandfather's had followed. In the early days we got new fans and a few who decided to follow their local team. When things were going well for the club they turned up which was good. However when the shit hit the fan and we had a series of dodgy folk running things as well as multiple court cases etc, a lot of these folk decided not to continue supporting the club. There was not the loyalty the likes of Hearts and Dunfermline got when they were in trouble after generations their families had been with them.

There is still a loyal hardcore of around 500 and the last couple of seasons has seen a small increase. If we continue to do well and the club has decent folk running things then we might attract back some of those who fell away.

Those of us who have followed the club through thick and thin are just a might touchy and a bit weary of continual crowd comments. And we are the only ones who actually see the comments. 

Hope that helps.

Slightly off topic I remember Livingston did used to have a Dundee United Supporters club that met in the Copper Tun before it burned down. Don't know if it still exists but believe John Cardiff (Deasel) was a member at one stage.

The fact that around 20-25% of our core support follow the team away every week is a pretty impressive feat too. A shame that it’s remained around that regardless of whether we’ve been facing relegation from this league, promotion from League 1 or going for top four this season; I’m sure even the United fans will admit they’re not carrying 1000 to away matches every week, especially now.

I really think if we can engage with the community again as we did before, in a structured manner, that we’d see a healthy increase in comparison with what we’ve got. Maybe promotion will provide that push.

7 hours ago, MacArab said:

I was interested if we'd have our usual away figure; less because people will be saving their money for a play off piss up; or more because it's the last game before the playoffs so last chance to try and get the team up for it. A pretty pointless post in the first place, but not really related to our home attendance. Understand your post wasn't meant as a dig but ultimately my point wasn't about our home attendance(s). And the Falkirk-y part was the bringing up our poor home turnout despite it not really being relevant to what I was saying.

Anyway, misunderstandings all round I think :lol:

13 minutes ago, Afro said:

I really think if we can engage with the community again as we did before, in a structured manner, that we’d see a healthy increase in comparison with what we’ve got. Maybe promotion will provide that push.

We got over 2,000 a couple years ago when we finished the 'great escape' against Queens and stayed up on the last day. Maybe it was excitement to see Livi relegated that brought people out for that one, unless they'll all be showing up for the play offs. 

Looking forward to the wee trip up to tannadice, no pressure and a chance to give a few players a rest, and give a few fringe players a run out.

Also the chance to thank the team and Hoppy for their efforts cannot be missed.

Who cares how irrelevant the match is now.

Mind the Gap Szaba !

Archived