Are Celtic Killing Scottish Football?

This was mentioned in the terrible journalism thread and I think that the title and premise is horribly clickbaity.  It's really about asking people (including our overlord Div) about their opinion on the state of Scottish football but the way it's being asked is completely misleading in an attempt to try to insult Scottish Football and blame Celtic for something that's not actually happening.  

Credit to Div and the others who stood up for the Scottish game which is healthier than it has been for decades with attendances up and financially stable clubs but I find the title and leading nature of the questions being asked in this video to be insulting to fans of Scottish football.

Killing it?  We gave Dons Christie and a mill for Hayes.  Gave Dundee a mill for Hendry.  Gave United Ralston.  We've given Hibs half a dozen players and a passport to Europe.  For good measure weve slapped Sevco senseless.  We're saving Scottish fitba

Personally, I'm looking forward to Celtic winning the league every year then getting papped out of Europe shortly afterwards. 

That alongside 'the gift that keeps on giving' will provide hilarity for years to come.

Meanwhile, the rest will just carry on playing football. Win some, lose some. No harm done. 

The old firm killed it decades ago and still continue to leach off the corpse and are allowed to do so by the rest in the hopes of some scraps

The minute we let the rangers back in the leagues was the beginning of the end for me, everything is screed so two teams prosper. Scottish football is pointless and I am increasingly less interested as the years go on. 

If the other half of the hideous hybrid was in good shape the media and particularly media like SKY would be telling us and earnestly believing that Scottish football is in splendid condition, no-one would even be asking the question.

Their symbiotic relationship is  not so much a distraction as a complete blind spot for the rest of Scottish football. Look at our Championship this season - the stories that could have been told & sold; St. Mirren winning the whole thing? Dundee United's stumbling, Inverness coming back from the dead. Livingston's season for f**k sake!: the race for League 1 and League 2 titles going to the last weekend of the season: the playoffs still to come that will not get any MSMTV coverage.

All of these blanked because these teams don't attract 50,000 fans, ignored by our own public service broadcaster (other than a pretendy sub-version which ironically uses the 'too wee for BBC Scotland' football to boost their audience figures). Maybe if the fuckers gave these leagues the coverage they deserve they could help sell them to their fans and improve the numbers showing up. 

The English super-hype their own big clubs too, of course, but they also cover clubs averaging 1,500 - 4,000 fans and every game  and every goal is covered and previewed and implications for league titles and playoff spots hyped and hyped again. Here it's like the rest don't exist.  Even the rest of the premiership are paid lip service only in relationship to the ugly sisters.

Cover them, by all means, they're our biggest clubs but the media are disgusting in their utter ignorance and disrespect of the Rest of Scottish football.

If the other half of the hideous hybrid was in good shape the media and particularly media like SKY would be telling us and earnestly believing that Scottish football is in splendid condition, no-one would even be asking the question.
Their symbiotic relationship is  not so much a distraction as a complete blind spot for the rest of Scottish football. Look at our Championship this season - the stories that could have been told & sold; St. Mirren winning the whole thing? Dundee United's stumbling, Inverness coming back from the dead. Livingston's season for f**k sake!: the race for League 1 and League 2 titles going to the last weekend of the season: the playoffs still to come that will not get any MSMTV coverage.
All of these blanked because these teams don't attract 50,000 fans, ignored by our own public service broadcaster (other than a pretendy sub-version which ironically uses the 'too wee for BBC Scotland' football to boost their audience figures). Maybe if the fuckers gave these leagues the coverage they deserve they could help sell them to their fans and improve the numbers showing up. 
The English super-hype their own big clubs too, of course, but they also cover clubs averaging 1,500 - 4,000 fans and every game  and every goal is covered and previewed and implications for league titles and playoff spots hyped and hyped again. Here it's like the rest don't exist.  Even the rest of the premiership are paid lip service only in relationship to the ugly sisters.
Cover them, by all means, they're our biggest clubs but the media are disgusting in their utter ignorance and disrespect of the Rest of Scottish football.

Good post, totally agree.

There’s nothing wrong with talking up any aspect of our game and I include the OF in that. But exactly as you say, they should fee a responsibility to talk up and promote the entire game.

Sky sports have decreed that the OF is the only thing Scottish football has going and the rest of the media have just accepted it. The obsession with attendances and not the actual fucking football is something that just baffles me.

WE ARE NEVER GOING TO BE ENGLAND, embrace the many many brilliant stories going on throughout Scottish football.

4 hours ago, HAMLISCH said:

Killing it?  We gave Dons Christie and a mill for Hayes.  Gave Dundee a mill for Hendry.  Gave United Ralston.  We've given Hibs half a dozen players and a passport to Europe.  For good measure weve slapped Sevco senseless.  We're saving Scottish fitba

How much are you going to give us for McGinn

2 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

You're spot on but let's never forget that the Rest of Scottish football seems to be quite happy with the situation.  2012 onwards has shown the shortsightedness of those running the non-OF clubs and that milking the bigot pound directly or indirectly is all that matters to them. They're getting what they deserve much to the detriment of most of their fans. 

We are often criticised from outside, but why the f**k do we need to go prove ourselves to them? Nobody who loves watching Man City and considers anything else as beneath them is going to understand our game. We shouldn't be defending ourselves against that.

Yes there's improvements to be made, but if you look at clubs engagement on social media as an example our marketing has improved significantly, we are seeing attitudes to standing improve, wether that's by introducing standing areas like Celtic have done or where clubs are deliberately not enforcing sitting in certain areas of their grounds.

It's not the fault of Celtic or Rangers that they get double the attendances they got in the 80s, that most of the rest get less than they got then, and that money is a much bigger factor than it was.

It's not the fault of Sky Sports, whose job it is to sell subscriptions and advertising in a media market that overwhelmingly couldn't care less about Kilmarnock or St Mirren.

It IS Rangers' fault that it's a one-horse-race instead of a two-horse-race, through terrible choices and allowing a succession of chancers to preside unchallenged and uncriticised.

Is IS the fault of Old Firm fans all over the country, many of whom only follow those clubs because they're glory-hunters or bigots or neds or so lacking in more meaningful ways of boosting their self-esteem that they feel compelled to associate with something the perceive as successful.

It IS the fault of the Scottish media that they wildly under-report Scottish football's stories, thereby undermining the whole product as reducing it to the Old Firm is obviously a recipe for long-term failure.

And it IS the fault of the football authorities, which are only associations of the clubs after all, who have singularly failed to sell their media in a way that would grow long-term interest (eg highlights on a Saturday night).

This is the most interesting and enjoyable domestic Scottish football has been since the 1980s, clubs are generally in good financial health, after some ugly inflation ticket prices have stabilised for a number of years and there are great stories everywhere. We can't do anything about Celtic's dominance but we can do something to talk our own game up.

Let's get Brechin's last game of the season on the telly, I say!

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

You're spot on but let's never forget that the Rest of Scottish football seems to be quite happy with the situation.  2012 onwards has shown the shortsightedness of those running the non-OF clubs and that milking the bigot pound directly or indirectly is all that matters to them. They're getting what they deserve much to the detriment of most of their fans. 

You got that right. The comments by one chairman in the not too distant past was the perfect example of the ‘we know our place’ mentality that pervades our game.

It is, of course, easier to mooch than it is to be a go-getter and our game is riddled with moochers.

Disappointed they didn't go for the panning shot past a burst mitre ball in a public park. 

Crowds are up at most clubs. The debt levels have been brought down almost across the board. 

A one horse race or a two horse race for the title? It doesn't matter much to me. If you finish best of the rest then you're basically unofficial champions anyway - nobody cares about the boasts from the gloryhunters. 

Nope.

Even in a shitey season our game can still throw up moments like the above. Or Hibs getting pelters for hibsing it constantly and then beating Rangers* in the cup final.

edit: I think I can narrow down why I love this video so much to two things:

i) the one "YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS" scream when it goes in that rings out clearly against all the other noise from the guy filming it, which I always adore in the vids by the guy that films these

ii) this wee still frame at about 6 seconds in:

image.png.975b375b34bfaa8e1d5b720d687745a8.png

Archived