Recycling

At the risk of upsetting the flatearthers, what is the best way to go about this problem? Are we pishing into a very strong wind or can we make a difference?

On a micro level I think we are one of two  households in our street who actually use / put out our recycling bins.  On a more positive note Scotland appear to be ahead of the game within the UK and certainly the most committed of the four nations to the wider picture of getting us out of this environmental cesspit we have created. We are , however, a nation of 5 million people - miniscule even in Europe, certainly the continent making most of the effort on this planet. 

To paraphrase Renton in Trainspotting, it's a shit state of affairs...    

My personal experience of this in living up a close in Glasgow is that people are ignorant arseholes and the council are useless. I'd happily recycle everything I could if I thought anyone else living nearby knew what they were doing, or if I thought it would be picked up regularly.

When I was younger I probably would have made some misguided bullshit arguement against having to do recycling. 

Now with the passage of time it is blindingly obvious that the way we abuse our planet and environment is one of, if not the most shameful aspects of modern life. At least since the frankly godlike David Attenborough highlighted it, it has gotten a bit of staying power in the news and media. 

Sometimes human arrogance is breathtaking and failure to even try and reverse the tide of our wastefulness is a shining example of it. 

Now that the Chinese have refused to take our contaminated recycling because we can't be arsed cleaning it or putting the right stuff in the right bin, the only option is turning Fife into a big landfill site. 

A massive problem. In 50 years time we will look back at the way we use plastics currently (straws, bags, unnecessary excessive plastic packaging on everything etc) the way we currently look back at how they used to just dump oil and chemicals into the rivers etc.

4 minutes ago, EH75 said:

A massive problem. In 50 years time we will look back at the way we use plastics currently (straws, bags, unnecessary excessive plastic packaging on everything etc) the way we currently look back at how they used to just dump oil and chemicals into the rivers etc.

I won't.

I've been recycling for years now and I'll always do it but really what is the point. Fly tipping is really getting out of control where I am as you now pay for your bins by weight .ditches along country roads are just full of binbags. People are disgusting animals. I think the human race could do with being properly wiped out. 

There is talk now about charging for recycling bins being taken. 

Just for an example I had 2x12 packs of washing up liquid tablets. I was able to fit the 24 tablets easily into one of the boxes.

The annoying thing for me is having a one bedroom flat in Edinburgh there isn't much room to segregate recycling stuff within my flat itself, and the only bins on my street are the big black communal ones and no recycling. I guess you could call it laziness, but I'm not hoarding all my plastic, glass, food waste etc in my wee hoose for days on end and then loading it into the car to the nearest recycling point. If the council wanted folk in central Edinburgh to recycle more needs to be done to make it easier, when I go back to visit my parents having 5 bins outside is perfect.

Archived