Recycling

At the risk of upsetting the flatearthers, what is the best way to go about this problem? Are we pishing into a very strong wind or can we make a difference?

On a micro level I think we are one of two  households in our street who actually use / put out our recycling bins.  On a more positive note Scotland appear to be ahead of the game within the UK and certainly the most committed of the four nations to the wider picture of getting us out of this environmental cesspit we have created. We are , however, a nation of 5 million people - miniscule even in Europe, certainly the continent making most of the effort on this planet. 

To paraphrase Renton in Trainspotting, it's a shit state of affairs...    

I haven’t checked my whole street, but I recycle and most of my street do too. 4 weekly collections for the plastic (it’s green in Fife) bin seems a week too far going by my bin. I have to get a garden chair, climb in the bin and use myself as a human compactor at least a couple of times, so I can see why packaging is one of the current hot eco topics.

If you have a city centre flat, I can see recycling being difficult. Even if you have communal recycling bins, there’ll probably be stupid or ignorant b*****ds who will just dump stuff in the nearest bin.

If you have a house it’s a piece of piss and you’re just a lazy b*****d who can’t be bothered. It’s easy to split up your waste.

8 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

If you have a city centre flat, I can see recycling being difficult. Even if you have communal recycling bins, there’ll probably be stupid or ignorant b*****ds who will just dump stuff in the nearest bin.

If you have a house it’s a piece of piss and you’re just a lazy b*****d who can’t be bothered. It’s easy to split up your waste.

Correct. We've 3 bins - black for rubbish, blue for recyclables and brown for garden waste/food waste and ashes.

It's quite simple to rinse out the tins whenever you're doing the washing up. (Unless, of course, you use a dishwasher.)

On 21/04/2018 at 05:09, Alert Mongoose said:

Recycling isn't the sustainable answer. Not using as much of it is. Packaging is an utter disgrace but people (those with the opportunity to fix it) make money through the companies who make this utter shite.

I saw a shop selling shrink wrapped fruit the other day. If only fruit came in it's own protective layer of skin. 

On 20/04/2018 at 19:58, Bairnardo said:

When I was younger I probably would have made some misguided bullshit arguement against having to do recycling. 

Now with the passage of time it is blindingly obvious that the way we abuse our planet and environment is one of, if not the most shameful aspects of modern life. At least since the frankly godlike David Attenborough highlighted it, it has gotten a bit of staying power in the news and media. 

Sometimes human arrogance is breathtaking and failure to even try and reverse the tide of our wastefulness is a shining example of it. 

If more people appreciated the true age of the earth and just how perilous an evolutionary journey it has been just for our species to be here today, then maybe we wouldn't be in so much shit. 

The arrogance probably comes from thinking we were created especially by a god and are somehow above nature.

Having just humphed the blue box rammed full of this weekend’s bottles out to the kerb for tomorrow’s collection I contend that I am doing far more than any of my neighbours. They really should try harder. I can’t continue to be responsible for recycling a street’s worth of glass on my own!

The glass recycling bins is a good way of spotting the closet alkies. A wee glimpse into folks’ private hell behind closed doors. 

Edinburgh seems pretty good in general with recycling, to the point that general use bins as you get at bus stops etc are a bit outdated. 

2 minutes ago, LorneGreen said:

I'm in live webcasts chat rooms from the USA a lot and they can't believe I have four bins for seperating out trash.
I had to take a photo to prove it and they said there's nothing like that there. :o 

You know how to live.

26 minutes ago, LorneGreen said:

I'm in live webcasts chat rooms from the USA a lot and they can't believe I have four bins for seperating out trash.
I had to take a photo to prove it and they said there's nothing like that there. :o 

These live webcasts have fairly changed over the years. I would find that quite difficult to masturbate to. 

9 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Yeah, just like we all celebrate the way the Victorian generation looked after the planet. 

Coal, how selfish, greedy and ignorant.

Not sure the two situations are comparable tbh.

The era you refer to was less enlightened.  People were less well educated, there was greater priority on simply dealing with day to day issues.

We really don’t have that excuse any more.  We know the effects of what we are doing with scarce resources and how the impact can be minimised.  We also have the technology to consider alternatives.

Not sure the two situations are comparable tbh.
The era you refer to was less enlightened.  People were less well educated, there was greater priority on simply dealing with day to day issues.
We really don’t have that excuse any more.  We know the effects of what we are doing with scarce resources and how the impact can be minimised.  We also have the technology to consider alternatives.

A time which is referred to as The Scottish Enlightenment was less enlighted?

24 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

A time which is referred to as The Scottish Enlightenment was less enlighted?

I think it is possible to be enlightened about certain things and not others.  It is difficult to make progress on all issues at the same time, and as can be seen in social and political terms progress is not always linear.

If local councils would make recycling a less unpleasant experience, I reckon more people would do it. For some reason our local recycling centre will only let you in if you come in a car. Which means if you live within walking distance, as I do, you can't just carry in a bag of recyclable stuff on foot. Also for some reason the gentlemen employed by our local recycling centre are disturbingly hostile individuals.

Archived