Auld People

16 hours ago, BawWatchin said:

So I went for an appointment at my GPs today and once I came out of the office and entered the reception area, there was some old lady (must have been in her 80s). She seen her doctor standing at the desk and tapped him on the shoulder and said, "I take it you have more important patients to see than me then?" This was because she waited over half an hour to see him. However, the reason for this was because she turned up late and her doctor was forced to move on to the next patient who's appointment happened to be half an hour long. He explained this to her and after throwing a big strop, she stormed out of the door. She sounded like the typical poshed up, self righteous, tory type.

It got me thinking. What is it with old people in this country and their sense of entitlement over others? Where does this mentality come from? They're quick to attack millennials and other younger generations about their own attitudes while failing to see the hypocrisy.

Whoever said age brings wisdom needs a boot in the baws.

I knew someone who went to the dentist and was told he needed a filling and would need to book another appointment to get that done.
He was very angry and wanted to know why he could not have it done then and there.
He wasn't old unless you regard 26 as old.

People who are complete arseholes when they are 80 have probably been complete arseholes all their lives.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

There are old c***s and young c***s, but in general I find older folks ( in their 80's +) to be really great to chat with.  Sure there are some miserable old b*****ds but in my experience most are really great and a) are too old to have a filter and b) just love talking to people in general.  

Only the really hardcore miserable c***s make it into their 80s.  Being miserable and depressed shortens your lifespan.

18 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I knew someone who went to the dentist and was told he needed a filling and would need to book another appointment to get that done.
He was very angry and wanted to know why he could not have it done then and there.
He wasn't old unless you regard 26 as old.

People who are complete arseholes when they are 80 have probably been complete arseholes all their lives.

Toothache makes people grumpy too.

At what point does the passage of time and experience change from being massively beneficial to you as a person, to leaving you out of touch?

As I age I would say I am becoming a better and more tolerant person on a lot of levels, but if it works like that all the way to old age, how come loads of old people (not all) are selfish, ignorant to the struggles faced by younger generations, and very intolerant.

When and why does the change occur? Is there points in the evolution of the human mind where it becomes more open or more closed to new ideas?

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

At what point does the passage of time and experience change from being massively beneficial to you as a person, to leaving you out of touch?

As I age I would say I am becoming a better and more tolerant person on a lot of levels, but if it works like that all the way to old age, how come loads of old people (not all) are selfish, ignorant to the struggles faced by younger generations, and very intolerant.

When and why does the change occur? Is there points in the evolution of the human mind where it becomes more open or more closed to new ideas?

Maybe it's only you that thinks you're becoming more tolerant.  Maybe everyone else hates you but you're just too selfish and self-centred to realise it.

Just a thought.

Maybe it's only you that thinks you're becoming more tolerant.  Maybe everyone else hates you but you're just too selfish and self-centred to realise it.
Just a thought.
Na I can feel it happening. To give an example.... A new guy started at my work last week. This is one of these guys who would be classed as morbidly obese. Now younger me would probably ridicule this guy, but also would judge him and wax lyrical about how theres "no excuse" for being in that shape. This type of attitude seems common among older people too.

I was looking at the guy, and it occured to me that despite his shape, and how I would previously have reacted, all I now see is a man, no different to me. And where once I would have been judgemental, I found myself wondering a wee bit about whether his physical shape is maybe the result of some unseen mental problems and how utterly disgusted I would be to see someone having digs at him.

Perhaps its me overanalysing in my head, but there is no doubt that my attitude to a lot of things have changed, and IMO it is only with time and a greater experience of life that it has happened. So my question is, why arent older people generally seen as even more thoughtful, even more wise and even more tolerant than everyone else.

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Na I can feel it happening. To give an example.... A new guy started at my work last week. This is one of these guys who would be classed as morbidly obese. Now younger me would probably ridicule this guy, but also would judge him and wax lyrical about how theres "no excuse" for being in that shape. This type of attitude seems common among older people too.

I was looking at the guy, and it occured to me that despite his shape, and how I would previously have reacted, all I now see is a man, no different to me. And where once I would have been judgemental, I found myself wondering a wee bit about whether his physical shape is maybe the result of some unseen mental problems and how utterly disgusted I would be to see someone having digs at him.

Perhaps its me overanalysing in my head, but there is no doubt that my attitude to a lot of things have changed, and IMO it is only with time and a greater experience of life that it has happened. So my question is, why arent older people generally seen as even more thoughtful, even more wise and even more tolerant than everyone else.

Good post.

I don’t have the answer to your question however.

I love young(er) folk who think that all older folk are arseholes and have somehow convinced themselves that they won’t end up the same.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Good post.

I love young(er) folk who think that all older folk are arseholes and have somehow convinced themselves that they won’t end up the same.

Or that they're also arseholes but don't have the excuse of being old.

Good post.

There is no doubt that younger folk thinking they have all the answers is just as prevalent and just as valid a stereotype (appreciate that "valid sterotype" isnt right but not sure of the correct words to use) as old folk being selfish and intolerant IMO.

Thats why I mentioned that it seems like there is a time where your mind opens up to become more receptive to change and a time where it closes off again.

Maybe closed mindedness goes hand in hand with increasing risk-aversion as you get older.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

There is no doubt that younger folk thinking they have all the answers is just as prevalent and just as valid a stereotype (appreciate that "valid sterotype" isnt right but not sure of the correct words to use) as old folk being selfish and intolerant IMO.

Thats why I mentioned that it seems like there is a time where your mind opens up to become more receptive to change and a time where it closes off again.

Maybe closed mindedness goes hand in hand with increasing risk-aversion as you get older.

That’s a tad simplistic but may contain an element of truth.

On a side note, I think many young people may struggle to understand the concept of increased risk-aversion amongst many people of a certain age.  This has been discussed on the politics forum in relation to the Independence issue.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think the old are just more brazen about their selfishness, the young tend to give their own selfishness more bells and whistles pretending there's some sort of nobility about it but ultimately they are still jumping up and down screaming "notice me, I'm relevant".

That’s a tad simplistic but may contain an element of truth.
On a side note, I think many young people may struggle to understand the concept of increased risk-aversion amongst many people of a certain age.  This has been discussed on the politics forum in relation to the Independence issue.

Aye no doubt. It hard not to be simplistic though, when in order to discuss the topic at hand you have to accept that you are going to be using some pretty broad strokes.

55 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This is a good question. With a lot of general, vague things like “life experience”  then really the younger generations should absolutely be paying close attention to the views of older people as they undoubtedly have plenty of useful advice to give. 

For specific, technical things (unless they have kept up with it and continued learning after retirement - but in my experience that can be rare) like medicine, engineering etc then the older generation really should be willing to accept they’ve been left behind (through no fault of their own, I wouldn’t expect them to keep up to date, I certainly wouldn’t be arsed when I’m retired). There is definitely an issue though, in my experience, with older people often retiring but then still chipping in with exactly what you need to do, despite it being 10 years out of date.

My work requires me to interact with older people and I can confirm that most of them are self-entitled, bitter assholes.

I have also come into contact with younger people who are wankers.

Maybe people are just wankers in general? Best to avoid them all.

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

This is a good question. With a lot of general, vague things like “life experience”  then really the younger generations should absolutely be paying close attention to the views of older people as they undoubtedly have plenty of useful advice to give. 

For specific, technical things (unless they have kept up with it and continued learning after retirement - but in my experience that can be rare) like medicine, engineering etc then the older generation really should be willing to accept they’ve been left behind (through no fault of their own, I wouldn’t expect them to keep up to date, I certainly wouldn’t be arsed when I’m retired). There is definitely an issue though, in my experience, with older people often retiring but then still chipping in with exactly what you need to do, despite it being 10 years out of date.

I wrote a paper on this that might be of interest to you.  If you give me your fax number I can send it to you.  

Archived