Is this a scam

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Message on my answering machine recorded voice saying HMRC have a claim against me and arrest warrant has been issued in my name.  Press one to speak to your case officer.

You seem like a dodgy c**t so I wouldn’t be surprised if it was legit.

Just now, Peppino Impastato said:

Cheers

No worries, if it is a scam, which is probably is they want to speak to you while in a panic and its always worth changing phones from the one they called you on in case its been compromised. Don't delete the message as if its fake HMRC or the police will want to investigate.

3 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Sorry... That link takes forever to open. This is the gist of it :

Scam Warning: Phone message threatens HMRC lawsuit

HMRC has asked us to alert our users to a scam which targets taxpayers and seems to be aimed at the elderly in particular. We have been asked to share the following information:

There is currently a telephone scam where a recorded message is left, allegedly from HMRC, stating that HMRC are bringing a lawsuit against the individual and is going to sue them. The recipient is asked to phone 0161 8508494 and press “1” to speak to the officer dealing with the case. This scam is becoming widely reported and seems to be targeting older people. Please do not reply to the message.

HMRC takes security very seriously but you need to be alert. If you cannot verify the identity of the person making the call you should not disclose your personal details. You should report these incidents on the Action Fraud website, or you can call them on 0300 123 2040 (Please note this number will be charged at your normal network rate). They are open Monday to Friday 09:00 - 18:00.

To learn more about dealing with phishing and scams visit GOV.UK

1 hour ago, philpy said:

Fucksakes, any c**t Should be well aware of the fact that the HMRC ONLY CONTACT YOU BY LETTER.

No they don't, I used to work for them and regularly made outgoing calls as part of my job.

things like this are very clearly scams but they work because of People's lack of self awareness

I actually quite enjoy when they work because its a more honest robbery than most out the shite out there

A lot of the time you hear about the victims getting their cash back from the bank.

Personally, I’d like that cash to instead be distributed as a bonus to people who weren’t stupid enough to fall for them in the first place.

Archived