Is this a scam

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Sorry... That link takes forever to open. This is the gist of it :

Scam Warning: Phone message threatens HMRC lawsuit

HMRC has asked us to alert our users to a scam which targets taxpayers and seems to be aimed at the elderly in particular. We have been asked to share the following information:

There is currently a telephone scam where a recorded message is left, allegedly from HMRC, stating that HMRC are bringing a lawsuit against the individual and is going to sue them. The recipient is asked to phone 0161 8508494 and press “1” to speak to the officer dealing with the case. This scam is becoming widely reported and seems to be targeting older people. Please do not reply to the message.

HMRC takes security very seriously but you need to be alert. If you cannot verify the identity of the person making the call you should not disclose your personal details. You should report these incidents on the Action Fraud website, or you can call them on 0300 123 2040 (Please note this number will be charged at your normal network rate). They are open Monday to Friday 09:00 - 18:00.

To learn more about dealing with phishing and scams visit GOV.UK

Is Peppino very, very old then?

1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Would be nice but I've seen an older gentlemen who got scammed for 8 thousand who use to live next door to my parents.
Aye call him stupid and all the rest of it but it was a lot of money.
It's not nice what these scammers do.

Have a heart and don't be a c**t :-)

I've trained my 90 year old Mother well, after her trusting everyone who phoned, as used to be normal. She tells them to write a letter if they want an answer and hangs up.

On 4/20/2018 at 18:01, welshbairn said:
I've trained my 90 year old Mother well, after her trusting everyone who phoned, as used to be normal. She tells them to write a letter if they want an answer and hangs up.

Must be a c**t if your phoning to see what she wants from the shop

4 hours ago, philpy said:

Fucksakes, any c**t Should be well aware of the fact that the HMRC ONLY CONTACT YOU BY LETTER.

In the same way paramedics don't use the siren in an ambulance dependant on the condition of the patient? I.e. utter bullshit. 

2 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

You like when an elderly person may have money taken off of them as they have been unaware of this scam?

Says more about you as a person.

c**t

My Dad when in earlyish stages of Alzheimer's got freaked out by a normal letter from HMRC  just  saying his tax had been paid normally through PAYE for the year. He panicked thinking he would be jailed and his wife left destitute and wandered around Inverness withdrawing his ISA accounts etc and sending a huge amount to HMRC. Of course it was all returned but it could easily have been one of those utter vermin who prey on the elderly or vulnerable. 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

My Dad when in earlyish stages of Alzheimer's got freaked out by a normal letter from HMRC  just  saying his tax had been paid normally through PAYE for the year. He panicked thinking he would be jailed and his wife left destitute and wandered around Inverness withdrawing his ISA accounts etc and sending a huge amount to HMRC. Of course it was all returned but it could easily have been one of those utter vermin who prey on the elderly or vulnerable. 

This what Power of Attorney is for, taking control and spending your parents money, while you're young enough to enjoy it.

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

This what Power of Attorney is for, taking control and spending your parents money, while you're young enough to enjoy it.

Got that but I don't think it takes away their right to be conned by c***s out their money, if you don't intervene in time. Giving POA away doesn't stop you from writing cheques or blowing your pension at the bookies, you'll be glad to hear.

9 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Message on my answering machine recorded voice saying HMRC have a claim against me and arrest warrant has been issued in my name.  Press one to speak to your case officer.

I got a scam e-mail claiming to be the HMRC saying I had a tax return due? Flip side was I had to pay an administration charge before I got it. Duly sent to the HMRC's forwarding site for bogus or fraudulent HMRC correspondence. 

Archived