Rating your team's signings

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Jason Kerr - Formed an excellent partnership with Fordyce and chipped in with a number of goals as well.  I'd be keen for him to return next season as it sounds like he's not quite ready for the step up to the Premiership 7/10

He's started every available game for us and looked more than comfortable. Only way he's not playing for us next season is if one of the numerous interesting Championship clubs down South make a move. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

We paid money for him and is a first team signing, he’s failed to have a significant impact, he undoubtedly has ability but scoring in the challenge cup and at home to Brechin doesn’t constitute a good signing to me.

Lochhead was signed as “one for the future” and looked bright when he’s played, which suggests he’s going to turn into a good player, therefore justifying his signing.

ETA - Should have looked at the poster before replying, minter.

How has he failed? He's scored six goals from nineteen appearences, most of which has been a few minutes from the bench.

He was backup to Clark who at the time went for an operation and has had to sit out as he can't play with Clark because they are the same type of player. I'm willing to state without looking it up that goals per minute he's our best striker in terms of impact.

Lochhead, I think he came on twice as a sub and looked pretty lightweight and average. Decent driving forward but I would rate him as seventh choice midfielder. Despite being desperate for midfielders he wasn't even considered. 

I would rate Ryan 8/10 and Lochhead 2/10. He's not even a new singing though.

Ryan hasn't done very much but what he has done, he's done well. It's not really his fault he's behind Nicky Clark, who's one of the best strikers in the league.

I'm a big fan of Beadling though. Would be excellent if we could get him next season but I'd imagine there's a decent chance he'll get into Sunderland's first team in League 1.

He's started every available game for us and looked more than comfortable. Only way he's not playing for us next season is if one of the numerous interesting Championship clubs down South make a move. 

Fair enough.

I’m sure a few of your fellow Saintees popped into our thread and commented that he’d looked a bit shaky. He’s obviously finding his feet if there is interest from down South.

Cammy Smith - Our first signing of pre season and one of our most important and most consistent performers. The fact we managed to snare him more or less directly out of contract a day after he left Aberdeen was seen as a coup by not only our fans but others in the league. What a shift the lad puts in week in, week out. Creative, full of spark, excels both with the ball his feet and running the channels. 9/10 

Ross Stewart (GK) - Seen as a project and didn't get that much game time. Hard to judge apart from a couple of league cup games including the 5-0 doing at Firhill that put us all in absoulte meltdown. Able enough deputy without ever actually troubling Sammy for the jersey. Jury is out on whether he'll be here or not next season. 4/10

Jordan Kirkpatrick - Signed by Jack as one of the lads he'd been with at Alloa and could depend on. He didn't get that much of a shot but everytime he did he looked quite out of his depth and shot of confidence. Loaned back out in January and will probably gone in the summer. 2/10

Greg Buchanan - Came in from Dumbarton and started plenty at first due to injuries to Gary Mac and Davis. Once both were back his time was up though. A lot of decent enough performances until his January departure but was never going to handle the step up in league. 6/10

Ross Stewart (FW) - I rate big Ross. He's very much a marmite player with the fans though. Most don't like him at all. I reckon he's got a lot of instinct that you see in a good centre forward but nowhere near the finished article. Can see him staying next season but going to a championship club on loan. 4/10

Craig Samson - Well, here's a bonafide club legend. One of those rarities like Van Zanten who just seems to fit at St. Mirren and not exactly be as accepted anywhere else. You wouldn't know it by the reaction of some fans though who decided after 3 minutes of his debut against Dundee that he should never have returned. :lol: All things said, you don't keep 8 clean sheets on the spin at home very often and Sammy will always be remembered for his performances over both stints. He'll get one more crack at the Premiership and there are few more deserving of it given his past with the club. It amazes me to think some St. Mirren fans can be down on the guy but they are. Inspired stuff to bring him back. 8.5/10

Gavin Reilly - Derided. Mocked. Scorn poured upon. The general consensus when we signed Gav Reilly was that we hadn't signed a mere dud but a guy who would add absolutely nothing to the cause. That he was a fucking massive downgrade on Rory Loy and we were prepping ourselves for more turmoil with him as the main guy. Fair to say then, he came with the bit between the considerable gap in his teeth and he was an absolute revelation. 20 goals before Santa. Energy, link up play. A rarity in a St. mirren forward in that he possessed both an extremely high workrate and was intelligent enough that he didn't run about like a headless chicken doing so. He always knew where he had to be and has a great knack of bringing the flair of Morgan and endeavour of Cammy into games. A tremendous signing who has brought so, so much more than the 11 league goals some opposition fans still try to use to justify him 'not being that good'. - 9/10

Dale Hilson - Desperately unlucky with injuries but will be remembered for scoring a vital goal in a 2-1 home victory we scarcely deserved against Brechin - 5/10

Ian McShane - Dependable for the most part. Displaced by the returning Kyle Magennis and the signing of Ryan Flynn. On his game he's been excellent, off his game he's been anonymous. Thankfully there's been more on days than off. Also proved he can hit a sweet dig from outside the box. Suffered a bit from being too similar to Stephen McGinn and not quite as good as him. 7/10

Harry Davis - Fantastic signing but then we knew he would be. Defenders at the end of everything are judged on their clean sheets over the piece.  St. Mirren without Harry Davis in the side this season have kept clean sheets in 4 of 14 games - 29% and 20 goals conceded in those matches - 1.43 per game 

St .Mirren with Harry Davis have kept clean sheets in 11 of 19 games -  58% and 11 goals conceded - 0.58 per game. Simply put, he's the best central defender in this league and his presence, quite literally, makes our defence twice as good. Those stats don't lie. 9/10

Daryl Duffy - Erm.....aye. That happened. 1/10

Liam Smith - A vastly underrated signing and one that really allowed us to kick on at a time where suspension and injury were booting our balls in the full back areas. He's came in, made the spot his own and no-one has realistically came close to disposing him all season. A top quality signing who'll go on to have a good career, hopefully with ourselves if we can somehow wangle keeping him. 7.5/10

Jamie McCart - Came in to cover injury, played twice, looked....decent I suppose? Never seen again. 3/10

Danny Mullen - Started a bit slowly but has shown since what he's capable of. Every bit as hard working as Reilly if not as intelligent in his play. He puts it about though and can be a nasty wee shit. The sort of player I'd probably fucking hate if he wasn't at St. Mirren but delighted to have him. Hopefully he kicks on further next season and shows what he can do. Scored a couple of very important goals as well in the run in. 7/10

Lewis Morgan - I'm classing him as a signing, so piss off. Obviously we got him back from Celtic the same day as selling him in January and at that point, our season may well have buckled without insisting that he comes and finished the season with us. Don't think there's a lot needs to be added except he's an absolutely tremendous talent. It's been a pleasure watching close up, some pretty decent full backs being nothing short of terrified of this boy running directly at them. The skill with the ball at his feet is mesmerising at times and he's got a hell of a tidy dig on him. Player of the season in the Championship quite comfortably for me. 10/10

Ryan Flynn - A signing of intent really. Bringing guys in with an eye on the Premier League in January was a bit of a gamble to some but it showed Jack Ross' ambition. Flynn is a guy who wouldn't have been out of place signing for a club like Dundee, Partick Thistle or St. Johnstone so it was a bit of a coup to get him. His vision at times it ridiculous. Especially in the Dunferline game where he player the box to box midfield role to perfection. He's not just as effective out wide and I'd gladly swap him into that role and give Kyle Magennis a wider role but it's good that a guy with this experience is with us for next season. He'll be a massive player for us. 7.5/10

Mark Hill - Signed as cover. Always got the impression that Jack wasn't really bothered about him and it has showed with his lack of game time. Hard to judge based on the limited time he had. 2/10

Myles Hippolyte - Not had a lot of time yet but what he's shown in flashes would suggest that he can become a big impact player. That long shy is a fucking weapon and with a bigger, more physically imposing team next season, something that can catch a lot of teams out. 4/10

Massimo Donati - Came in for cover when Buchanan left. Nearly got on at Queen of the South but didn't. Suppose he's provided some cover when needed and probably does a bit of coaching as well. N/A

Declan McManus - Fantastic first half to the season. Still tries hard but think has struggled since Jan.  - 7

Fraser Aird - Understandable due to cardles early season form why didn' t play much. Has made left mid spot his own in recent weeks. 7/10

Dean Shiels - Defo got ability and kept things ticking over. once out the team though our options were better. Was he played in his best position. Did his best but at best solid.  5

Jean-Yves M'voto - Similar to aird. When got chance has taken it.  Better than expected...makes Big Nat look like .. wee Nat. 7

Aaron Splaine. Sadly injury finished season. Didn' see much of him but overall didn' see much to excite me - 2

Andy Ryan - Surprised not played more. Has done OK when played and hope we see more of him  - 5

Scott Lochhead - Few times seen him thought looked a long way off first team. Maybe callum Smith clouded judgment. Hope to see more - 4

Lee Robinson - Been excellent. Made some great saves in first game v falkirk and ten clean sheels is some record. Fluffed one goal v qos otherwise very good.  9

James Craigen - Solid. 6

James Vincent - Getting better bit not offered a huge amount  5

Daniel Armstrong - Looked good v morton and certainly works hard. Overall not seen ough - 3

Tom Beadling - THink taken over shiels role from earlier in season. Think be nice to keep him on. 8/10

2 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Christ, they've won the league with games to spare and still spitting with rage :lol:

:lol:

Gav Reilly being an overwhelming success and some Pars fans' lack of being able to take it is one of the most satisfying stories of the season.

Raging? I'm fucking ecstatic!

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

How has he failed? He's scored six goals from nineteen appearences, most of which has been a few minutes from the bench.

He was backup to Clark who at the time went for an operation and has had to sit out as he can't play with Clark because they are the same type of player. I'm willing to state without looking it up that goals per minute he's our best striker in terms of impact.

Lochhead, I think he came on twice as a sub and looked pretty lightweight and average. Decent driving forward but I would rate him as seventh choice midfielder. Despite being desperate for midfielders he wasn't even considered. 

I would rate Ryan 8/10 and Lochhead 2/10. He's not even a new singing though.

3 of those 6 were in the challenge cup against Arbroath and Buckie Thistle

1 came in the scottish cup against Queen's Park

His 2 league goals have come against Brechin at home and a injury time goal in a 4-0 win at Dumbarton.

The fact that you would rate a first-team signing 8/10 off of that shows how much of a gibbering moron your truly are.

Lochhead was never meant to be a first team player, he was meant to be promising, he has shown promise, therefor he has achieved, or is at least showing signs of achieving the object of his signing. Ryan has not yet shown that he is anything more than a decent league 1 striker.

Reilly was an overwhelming success, until January. 

Since then he's scored as many league goals as Lee Ashcroft. 

Best of luck to St Mirren in the Premier but I still think they'll need a better striker, might that be Mullen? He's looked better against us than Reilly but going by the ratings he's maybe not succeeding in other games. It's always interesting to see how promoted championship squads get on and how much they need to change. 

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

:lol:

Gav Reilly being an overwhelming success and some Pars fans' lack of being able to take it is one of the most satisfying stories of the season.!

You won the league having escaped relegation on the final day of last season, and that's one of your most satisfying stories? Fucking hell. 

6 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

3 of those 6 were in the challenge cup against Arbroath and Buckie Thistle

1 came in the scottish cup against Queen's Park

His 2 league goals have come against Brechin at home and a injury time goal in a 4-0 win at Dumbarton.

The fact that you would rate a first-team signing 8/10 off of that shows how much of a gibbering moron your truly are.

Lochhead was never meant to be a first team player, he was meant to be promising, he has shown promise, therefor he has achieved, or is at least showing signs of achieving the object of his signing. Ryan has not yet shown that he is anything more than a decent league 1 striker.

And going by his loan spell Lochhead hasn't even shown himself to be decent in league 1, all of Lochheads appearances that your building him up came against that level of side! he's 21 years old and barely played. He's barely younger than Lewis Martin and Ryan Williamson. You're making out that he's a teenager, he's a couple of years older than Callum Smith ffs. 

He was also brought in last season, and while he may have been signed to show promise I think his time has run out. Very harsh post towards D. A. F. C. 

Just now, Grant228 said:

And going by his loan spell Lochhead hasn't even shown himself to be decent in league 1, he's 21 years old and barely played. He's barely younger than Lewis Martin and Ryan Williamson. You're making out that he's a teenager, he's a couple of years older than Callum Smith ffs. 

He was also brought in last season, and while he may have been signed to show promise I think his time has run out. Very harsh post towards D. A. F. C. 

95% of the footballing world is older than Callum Smith, given that he turned 18 in November.

I forgot we'd had him 2 seasons, that's fair enough then.

Andy Ryan, at this moment, still hasn't been a good signing however.

Ryan scored against Morton and on Saturday. How many starts has he had in the league? Three maybe?

Hes certainly done well in my opinion, his transfer fee is maybe clouding the judgement of some perhaps? I think he's in the top ten strikers in the championship.

What exactly could he have done differently? Clark is going to play every week unless he is suspended or injured and fortunately he hasn't been. I think Ryan was bought in case Clark didn't recover from the operation.

Having a go at Ryan is like saying M'Voto has been poor. They've both made the most of limited chances and you can't really say they are poor signings. They would be welcome additions to most teams in the league. He needs a run of games, Faissal was in the same boat a few years back.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Ryan scored against Morton and on Saturday. How many starts has he had in the league? Three maybe?

Hes certainly done well in my opinion, his transfer fee is maybe clouding the judgement of some perhaps? I think he's in the top ten strikers in the championship.

What exactly could he have done differently? Clark is going to play every week unless he is suspended or injured and fortunately he hasn't been. I think Ryan was bought in case Clark didn't recover from the operation.

Having a go at Ryan is like saying M'Voto has been poor. They've both made the most of limited chances and you can't really say they are poor signings. They would be welcome additions to most teams in the league. He needs a run of games, Faissal was in the same boat a few years back.

:lol: He's not even in the top 3 at Dunfermline.

I never said that he was a poor player, in fact I said quite the opposite.

How good a signing is is down to the manager as well as the player.

Ryan is a decent player, but we don't really need him and thus, he's had limited chances this season, he's clearly not good enough to push McManus or Clark out of the team and wasn't good enough to push Smith out of it at the start of the season either. This means he has not been a worthwhile signing, so far. He might start every game next season and bang in 40 goals, however, so far, he has been an ineffectual at best signing.

On yet another occasion you have had to have the very basics of football explained very slowly and clearly to you.

8 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Christ, they've won the league with games to spare and still spitting with rage :lol:

7 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Reilly was an overwhelming success, until January. 

Since then he's scored as many league goals as Lee Ashcroft. 

Best of luck to St Mirren in the Premier but I still think they'll need a better striker, might that be Mullen? He's looked better against us than Reilly but going by the ratings he's maybe not succeeding in other games. It's always interesting to see how promoted championship squads get on and how much they need to change. 

You won the league having escaped relegation on the final day of last season, and that's one of your most satisfying stories? Fucking hell. 

Let it go guys, the jealousy is eating you up. Just grow a pair and accept it, by all accounts the guys had a terrific season and contributed well for the champions.

[emoji38] He's not even in the top 3 at Dunfermline.
I never said that he was a poor player, in fact I said quite the opposite.
How good a signing is is down to the manager as well as the player.
Ryan is a decent player, but we don't really need him and thus, he's had limited chances this season, he's clearly not good enough to push McManus or Clark out of the team and wasn't good enough to push Smith out of it at the start of the season either. This means he has not been a worthwhile signing, so far. He might start every game next season and bang in 40 goals, however, so far, he has been an ineffectual at best signing.
On yet another occasion you have had to have the very basics of football explained very slowly and clearly to you.

He's now worse than a striker who can't get off the bench at alloa?
Slowly and clearly.

As per other posts by me, I've not been to that many games this season so I defer to posters who've seen more of the team than me, but here are my thoughts.

Mark Ridgers – Started very poorly but has improved significantly as the season has gone on.  It's been a real transformation tbh.  As well as being more reliable and making superb individual saves (see the St Mirren game for examples of the latter) he has one of the longest kicks in the division, hopefully we build a dogs of war, hatchet man long ball team around him.  7/10

Collin Seedorf – I think he's absolute garbage.  He can't do anything particularly well, he looks like a decent player but doesn't contribute and is capable of turning in absolute stinkers.  Was destroyed in the Dunfermline game and was missing for months afterwards.  2/10

Matty Elsdon – Absolutely terrible player, signed I assume to fill the team, which is the case with quite a few of our signings this season.  1/10

Riccardo Calder – He's improved from early season showings and is a threat going forward while not always being solid defensively.  I quite like him and think he could grow into the team.  6/10

Coll Donaldson – Signed to a fanfare of shrugs and 'mehs' he's been our player of the season.  Good in the air, quick, good with the ball at his feet, solid, disciplined.  He's been a revelation and the best thing we've done is sign him on a longer deal.  9/10

Joe Chalmers – For some reason we played him as a full-back and wide midfielder early on and he was abysmal but since moving inside he's found a role.  He's not an exciting player, he's a grinder who doesn't do anything superbly but when he plays well he doesn't make mistakes and allows better midfielders (Vigurs and Polworth) room to do their thing.  6/10

Alex Cooper – Again, signed because he was available and filled a jersey.  Not good enough for this level.  3/10

Zak Elbouzedi – I don't think he's played a first team game so na/10.

Charlie Trafford – Interesting signing, an international who has played in the top leagues of some European countries, he's a physical presence and is obviously a capable player.  He's maybe suffered from not being able to get a run of starts but I think he could improve next season.  He did have a couple of poor games (Dundee in the cup being one) so 5/10.

John Baird – He's not a great finisher and he missed quite a few improtant chances but he was an improtant player for us in our run of form that pulled us out of the horrorshow start to the season we had.  The work he and Bell did in pressing from the front and making runs into channels to free up space was vital and underappreciated.  Strange stuff to see him freed, I understand he fell out with the management team.  5/10

Felicitano Zschusschen – I thought signing a massive targetman might be good.  He was not good.  He was bad.  1/10

George Oakley – If you need someone to score goals against Brechin, Oakely's your man.  He's done well to carve out a place in the starting XI but he's still pretty raw.  He has ability though, I'm not sure how he far he can develop.  5/10

Connor Bell – He was probably our most dangerous forward early in the season, a nippy pressing forward who could finish and did a good job in pressing from the front alongside Baird.  However, he's really slipped back since the turn of the year and is much further down the pecking order.   He's still young (21) and I think he's got potential, similar to Oakely.  5/10

Nathan Austin – Looked like a complete farce of a signing, subbed off after a couple of minutes of his debut and with a long history of injury we looked like we'd been mugged off.  Since he's back to fitness though he's looked better and now has four goals in three games.  Difficult to give him a rating but certainly one who is on the up - we've really lacked decent forwards this season.  5/10.

Archived