Inverness vs Dunfermline

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe this game is over hyped. It would be good if we won it but not a disaster if we lose or draw. I just think this run of form has come too late anyway and its just too much to ask to win our remaining three games. Even if we did the hard work and beat the Pars in this so called (yes another) 'cup final' we will surely drop points to Livi so it will be for nothing anyway.

Realistically our players are working their socks off to remain in JR's plans for next season that is far more important and if we don't make the playoffs it wouldn't be a disaster. It would give the players a couple more weeks to rest and would give the club more time to prepare for next season (like bringing in new players) in what we would hope would be a serious attempt at winning this league.

On 19/04/2018 at 17:12, Stephen Malkmus said:

Vigurs is far less effective in high intensity games where he's pressed, as would be the case here, so we'll not miss him as much as people here seem to think.

That's a fair point but we just don't have another midfielder with any composure. Trafford will come in and he'll be awful on the ball. I assume we'll therefore play more long balls up to Oakley and Austin which won't work if Dunfermline sit deep. 

1 hour ago, CityDave said:

I believe this game is over hyped. It would be good if we won it but not a disaster if we lose or draw. I just think this run of form has come too late anyway and its just too much to ask to win our remaining three games. Even if we did the hard work and beat the Pars in this so called (yes another) 'cup final' we will surely drop points to Livi so it will be for nothing anyway.

Realistically our players are working their socks off to remain in JR's plans for next season that is far more important and if we don't make the playoffs it wouldn't be a disaster. It would give the players a couple more weeks to rest and would give the club more time to prepare for next season (like bringing in new players) in what we would hope would be a serious attempt at winning this league.

I think we've got f**k all chance of getting into the playoffs but while it remains a possiblity it makes these games really exciting. Obviously tomorrow is the biggest game of the season and if we don't win it I certainly won't be  consoled by the fact that players will get an extra week or two for their summer holidays. 

9 hours ago, CityDave said:

This attitude is what leads to Falkirk/Dunfermline situations where teams spend years in this league. We can't keep looking to the promise of the next season and there is no reason why we can't beat Livi if we win today.

18 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

This attitude is what leads to Falkirk/Dunfermline situations where teams spend years in this league. We can't keep looking to the promise of the next season and there is no reason why we can't beat Livi if we win today.

St. Johnstone, Hamilton, Ross County, Partick Thistle..........Inverness Caledonian Thistle and this season St. Mirren all spent a bit of time in this league before going up. I'd rather see us build a team with the right players so that this club when it is ready to go back up not just go up but hold its own again in the top flight. If we reach the playoffs we have to be serious about getting promoted, finances for example, do we have the financial backing now that can help the club find a footing in the top flight and push on? Can we afford the wages that will surely come with that leap forward?

And no its not that attitude that has lead both those teams to spend years in this league its how the people in charge of these clubs have managed their clubs and how those teams as a result of that have performed on the pitch.

If anything if the run continues and we make the playoffs it should help financially in at least an extra gate plus prize money for league placing which might be worth a couple of new players in the summer.

Erm this is our 2nd consecutive season in this league.

If your talking about us being out the top league, we had some small off field troubles that hampered our progress

13 minutes ago, CityDave said:

St. Johnstone, Hamilton, Ross County, Partick Thistle..........Inverness Caledonian Thistle and this season St. Mirren all spent a bit of time in this league before going up. I'd rather see us build a team with the right players so that this club when it is ready to go back up not just go up but hold its own again in the top flight. If we reach the playoffs we have to be serious about getting promoted, finances for example, do we have the financial backing now that can help the club find a footing in the top flight and push on? Can we afford the wages that will surely come with that leap forward?

And no its not that attitude that has lead both those teams to spend years in this league its how the people in charge of these clubs have managed their clubs and how those teams as a result of that have performed on the pitch.

If anything if the run continues and we make the playoffs it should help financially in at least an extra gate plus prize money for league placing which might be worth a couple of new players in the summer.

If we don’t have the finances to be in the Premiership next season if we somehow did get promoted, what makes you think we have the money to push for promotion next season?

We’ve already been told the budget is getting cut drastically next season. We have to take any opportunity we get to be promoted as soon as possible no matter how slim the chances actually are.

Our fans have spent years slating the club for not promoting big games for people to come along. Now they actually have they are still getting a hard time for it.

Its by far our biggest game of the season and should not be down played at all.

4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

If we don’t have the finances to be in the Premiership next season if we somehow did get promoted, what makes you think we have the money to push for promotion next season?

We’ve already been told the budget is getting cut drastically next season. We have to take any opportunity we get to be promoted as soon as possible no matter how slim the chances actually are.

Our fans have spent years slating the club for not promoting big games for people to come along. Now they actually have they are still getting a hard time for it.

Its by far our biggest game of the season and should not be down played at all.

So would you rather see us Gretna the Premiership (short term) or build a very good team on the small budget we have (long term) as we have been well known for doing for much of the history of the club?

btw I never mentioned anything about having the money to push for promotion for next season, as always its about getting that blend of team right and beating the opposition. Its our way and its been successful up until almost everyone started to took our place in the top flight for granted and we got delusions of grandeur. This is still a small club and we maybe have to go about achieving success differently from our rivals. A chip on our shoulders about no one likes us nor wants us in the top flight wouldn't hurt, ...central belt club bias etc....get the fire back that had been missing for a few years now. We've been too nice and polite to everyone ever since the 'honest' Yogi years.

51 minutes ago, CityDave said:

So would you rather see us Gretna the Premiership (short term) or build a very good team on the small budget we have (long term) as we have been well known for doing for much of the history of the club?

btw I never mentioned anything about having the money to push for promotion for next season, as always its about getting that blend of team right and beating the opposition. Its our way and its been successful up until almost everyone started to took our place in the top flight for granted and we got delusions of grandeur. This is still a small club and we maybe have to go about achieving success differently from our rivals. A chip on our shoulders about no one likes us nor wants us in the top flight wouldn't hurt, ...central belt club bias etc....get the fire back that had been missing for a few years now. We've been too nice and polite to everyone ever since the 'honest' Yogi years.

There's no reason to present the potential outcomes in binary terms - if we do go up, we'll have beaten a number of the best Championship teams and a Premiership team over two legs over the course of a few weeks with a tired squad. If the team were to somehow achieve that, it would not lead me to believe that we were likely to "do a Gretna" next season. It would also suggest that the blend of our team is currently far better than you seem to think.

Likewise, if we are waiting around to assemble a mythical perfect squad, we could be down here for years as our best players are poached, other teams have great seasons etc. 

There is no downside to getting promoted now.

55 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

There's no reason to present the potential outcomes in binary terms - if we do go up, we'll have beaten a number of the best Championship teams and a Premiership team over two legs over the course of a few weeks with a tired squad. If the team were to somehow achieve that, it would not lead me to believe that we were likely to "do a Gretna" next season. It would also suggest that the blend of our team is currently far better than you seem to think.

Likewise, if we are waiting around to assemble a mythical perfect squad, we could be down here for years as our best players are poached, other teams have great seasons etc. 

There is no downside to getting promoted now.

Its perfectly fine to live in the moment that's what fans do but I don't understand why you say 'waiting around', if we are good enough then the results will reflect that and if we gain promotion it will be on merit. I'm perfectly entitled to give my opinion of the team right now of which I think we have the beginnings of a good framework for Robbo to build a team around. I just don't think we are ready yet. 

Its all very well going on a great run of wins in a row, going on a run like that in this league is hard but our run of wins didn't include any teams that are currently in the top half of the league. 

On the plus side the poor start we had and likely the poor run preceding this current good run of form has probably shown which players are capable of being tough enough mentally to deal with when the results aren't going for us, but do we have enough quality here to go up with this squad, I have my doubts. Getting into this situation in the first place where we have to chase down 3rd or 4th this late on in the season  backs this up, today and the two remaining fixtures will be the real test, I hope we do it but I think too little too late.

2 hours ago, CityDave said:

I would absolutely rather see us in the Premiership next season rather than the Championship. Gretna were a bankrupt team that season. You couldn’t compare us with them at all. If we ended up so be it, would rather be attempting to avoid relegation the top league than scrap in a promotion battle in the Championship with no guarantee of being promoted again without a doubt.

Anyone suggesting that we would be better off not getting promoted needs their head checked.

Even if say, we went up and didn't increase budgets etc and Gretna' d the league we'd be in a better financial position than we are now. Mind boggling anyone would think another year in the championship would somehow be better.

Archived