Stranraer Vs Raith Rovers

It's a continuation from last season after Hughes took over where we were unbeaten at home but lost every single away match in the league under him.

It is infuriating that we haven't been able to sort it this season considering the standard of opposition but we are where we are now.

As much as Raith fans don’t like Hughes would he have done a better job than Smith this season?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as Raith fans don’t like Hughes would he have done a better job than Smith this season?
Possibly, if he had been able to clear the decks and bring in the type of player that responds to his, shall we say, unique style of man management. And if we weren't derailed by him applying for the Scotland job midway through the season.

Possibly, if he had been able to clear the decks and bring in the type of player that responds to his, shall we say, unique style of man management. And if we weren't derailed by him applying for the Scotland job midway through the season.

It seems strange to me that the board (who knew they were going to be in League 1) had the option of keeping a manager who had years of experience in the Premiership, getting teams into Europe and winning the Scottish Cup or sacking him and keeping hold of a squad of players that had underperformed and weren’t good enough and they chose the latter and then appointed a manager who’s greatest achievements are getting to the final of the challenge cup and getting Dundee promoted by default.

Still, I’ll not be laughing in two weeks time if it turns out we throw away the league and have to go through the play offs again.

2 minutes ago, somerset_lad said:

It seems strange to me that the board (who knew they were going to be in League 1) had the option of keeping a manager who had years of experience in the Premiership, getting teams into Europe and winning the Scottish Cup or sacking him and keeping hold of a squad of players that had underperformed and weren’t good enough and they chose the latter and then appointed a manager who’s greatest achievements are getting to the final of the challenge cup and getting Dundee promoted by default.

Still, I’ll not be laughing in two weeks time if it turns out we throw away the league and have to go through the play offs again.

The long and the short of it regarding Hughes is despite his previous triumphs, he showed himself to be a 24 carat James Hunt and was never going to see his tenure last to the close season.

Hughes completely demotivated the squad and basically used his media appearances to shift attention away from his own shortcomings and onto a group of players who he completely flattened mentally. That squad should’ve been good enough to beat Brechin over two legs, but he sapped every last bit of mental strength from them and ultimately, whilst he wasn’t entirely at fault for our relegation, did nothing to put the brakes on.

Hughes completely demotivated the squad and basically used his media appearances to shift attention away from his own shortcomings and onto a group of players who he completely flattened mentally. That squad should’ve been good enough to beat Brechin over two legs, but he sapped every last bit of mental strength from them and ultimately, whilst he wasn’t entirely at fault for our relegation, did nothing to put the brakes on.

Much as I do agree with a lot of the gist of that, you can’t completely absolve certain players of blame and put it all on the manager. His methods didn’t work but I would argue at least one or two players really let him down, and at least one or two performed way below their capabilities. Basically it’s a combination.

Hughes would have been left with a fair chunk of players from last season, who all absolutely fucking hated him. If Hughes had stayed on we would have needed a total clear out.

Hughes was actually correct with a lot of what he said.  Problem was he made everything about Hughes and how this wasn't his fault.

He thought he could come on, sprinkle his gold dust, get us to safety and then ride off into the sunset to a Premiership job.  Once he realised the severity of the situation he has no idea how to sort it.

Smith is a relatively steady pair of hands to be honest.  Not exactly exciting, and ultimately might not get us promotion this season, but I can see why the board went down that route. Hughes was absolutely insane and any previous success should not hide away from the fact he absolutely fucked it up.

That's before you look at the fact that we were relegated by a side with 4 points this season. 

I was really pleased when Hughes agreed to manage us but he was a bit of a disaster. Possibly if he’d had time to build a team he’d have been okay, but at ICT didn’t he take Butcher’s team and make them winners? When he had to sign players they became a bit unremarkable and mid-table again.

Saying that, if I ever win the Euro Lottery he’s the manager for me. He has a good record of getting diddy teams to Scottish Cup Finals and of getting performances from them in the finals.

Hmmm, thinking about it, I’d probably just get a foreign manager in. I’d tell Yogi he was our second choice just to wind him up and try and get a classic TV interview out of the whole affair.

Our away record is disgusting. With even more pressure on us now logic says we will shite the bed again and lose or draw.  Hoping that this is the time we turn it around - but the hope is blind. 1-1.

Also, IF we were to win another major factor is that we could do with QP getting something and Albion Rovers getting beat meaning that they have to get a point at least on the last day at Ayr. Otherwise even an Ayr draw on Sunday would likely see them champions as guaranteed 9th Albion will be concentrating on the play off games in the midweek and will likely roll over. 

5 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Our away record is disgusting. With even more pressure on us now logic says we will shite the bed again and lose or draw.  Hoping that this is the time we turn it around - but the hope is blind. 1-1.

Also, IF we were to win another major factor is that we could do with QP getting something and Albion Rovers getting beat meaning that they have to get a point at least on the last day at Ayr. Otherwise even an Ayr draw on Sunday would likely see them champions as guaranteed 9th Albion will be concentrating on the play off games in the midweek and will likely roll over. 

I don’t have much faith in us winning the league but looking at it, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Ayr suffer a narrow defeat at Alloa. It wouldn’t be a huge stretch to see us win at Stranraer. If that happens we’re a point clear with one game to go.

Really hope faz starts the under 20 lads who have been brillaint since january for us. The likes of Elliot gray and young gavin scott. Give them some experience and game time. 

Full pressure on raith on Saturday who a fully expect to put in a better performance than they put in on the rearranged game down here. Wasnt inpressed with them that day. 

Think we will still be competitive agaisnt raith and east fife away next season as faz wont let the team take the foot off the gas. Hes not that kind of manager. He will want as many points as possible with it being his first full season as a manager. 

Should be a good game on Saturday. 

Mon blue

Massively quiet thread here, I’m presuming every Rovers fan is the same and just shiting it.
Won’t be going to this, but will be listening on RaithTV.
Just please f’n win Rovers, I don’t care who plays or how it unfolds for the 90, just win.

Refusing to get my hopes up unless we win here. Stats suggest we won’t - one win from seven away from home against the rest of the top half, two away wins against teams that aren’t East Fife or Queen’s Park from thirteen.

Just fucking win, Rovers. Benedictus back fit, apparently. Interesting to see who’ll play in defence.

The respective post count between this thread and the Ayr v Alloa thread probably says a lot about the lack of optimism amongst Rovers fans, even after last week's events.

Or Ayr fans are repeatedly wanking themselves off about how many buses they’ll take.

Massively quiet thread here, I’m presuming every Rovers fan is the same and just shiting it.
Won’t be going to this, but will be listening on RaithTV.
Just please f’n win Rovers, I don’t care who plays or how it unfolds for the 90, just win.

Personally, I’m still getting prepared for the play-offs but still with the hope that we’ll win here and Ayr will lose at Alloa. First things first, we need to win here.

Do I want to do the 7 hour round trip to see us huff and puff to a 2-1 win. No, I don’t. Even if I did I am doing work on a loft conversion at the moment which takes precedence.

Anyway, hopefully we can get the win and put all that pressure on Ayr for the Sunday game.

Archived