Alloa vs Ayr

I'd like to think we'll be resting some key men over the final two league games. Really doesn't matter if we finish 3rd or 4th so no point in going all out with the play-offs to come. As long  as we don't lose both games 5-0 at the same time as Stranraer are crushing their opponents. 

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd like to think we'll be resting some key men over the final two league games. Really doesn't matter if we finish 3rd or 4th so no point in going all out with the play-offs to come. As long  as we don't lose both games 5-0 at the same time as Stranraer are crushing their opponents. 

Surely it does matter as 4th place will have to play Dumbarton and 3rd place will have to play Raith.

Anyways it would be super if you rested some players. Preferably all of them and just put out a reserve team.

1 minute ago, somerset_lad said:

Surely it does matter as 4th place will have to play Dumbarton and 3rd place will have to play Raith.

Anyways it would be super if you rested some players. Preferably all of them and just put out a reserve team.

I don't think there is a significant difference between any of the potential semi-final opponents this season.

We don't have the depth to make lots of changes but I'd certainly use the squad as much as possible at this stage, and most certainly for the Raith game. I think our manager has at times been prone to too many changes, but in this scenario it makes sense. Doesn't mean we are chucking the games either, Alloa fans will recall fondly playing a fringe team in the same situation against another side still chasing a play-off spot and a 15 year old getting the winner for the Wasps :thumsup2.

45 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I don't think there is a significant difference between any of the potential semi-final opponents this season.

We don't have the depth to make lots of changes but I'd certainly use the squad as much as possible at this stage, and most certainly for the Raith game. I think our manager has at times been prone to too many changes, but in this scenario it makes sense. Doesn't mean we are chucking the games either, Alloa fans will recall fondly playing a fringe team in the same situation against another side still chasing a play-off spot and a 15 year old getting the winner for the Wasps :thumsup2.

We're not chasing a play-off spot.

Fans of midweek football may also recall a decent cup performance, with an under strength side, against an emerging giant a few years back.

I’d like to see us go near enough full strength in the final two games. Maybe with Raith away we could rest some guys as the first leg would be a few days later, however.

Last year, we had so many games that meant nothing and I think by the time the play-offs came round with all the first gear performances and changing the team we weren’t raring to go. Would be good to go in with a bit of momentum, especially if we’re playing Dumbarton as they’ll be going in with a losing run hopefully.

Be interesting to see who fills in for Jamie. Robbo and Taggart more than capable of playing ‘out of position’ but saw against Stranraer last week that we miss something when we don’t have Tagg’s runs up that end. Would quite like to see Meggatt alongside Andy. Would give him two high paced games to get fitness back and maybe get him ready if he is to play a part in the play-offs.

Don't know why but this is a no brainier for me, put either mcguffie or mcdaid to left back they are both out and out left sided players mcdaid particularly does really well defensively when he is playing left mid, both players will probably finish up playing there in the future anyway.

this will keep the balance of the team right and then good options for right back, a must is bell and rose through the middle as they have a lot of height in there team. We then just have to get on with it my team would be presuming shanklands appeal fails.

Hart

Ferguson, Rose, Bell, Mcdade

Forrest, Kerr, Adams, Mcguffie

Moffat, Moore

Subs

Geggan (half fit for second half) and youngsters

On the assumption that Geggan doesn't make it and Shankland is suspended then I'd go for the following next week:

Hart

Ferguson Rose Bell Crawford

McDaid Adams Kerr Forrest

Moore Moffat

Subs: anyone else who is fit

Key thing for me is we need to get as many of our better and experienced players in to the line-up and we play as few players out of position (i.e. only Crawford in this case). We also we need to change our approach.  Since we signed Shakland we've played the ball forward quicker as he's been a more able target.  Without him we need to go back to playing a bit more football and getting the ball wider to Forrest and McDaid.  It was working pre-Shankland but on Saturday we just kept on firing it up to Moore and that's just not his strength.

I suspect McCall will go with McGuffie over McDaid,  but on Saturday he looked like he just didn't have the heart for it and we can't carry passengers two weeks running.

48 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Don't know why but this is a no brainier for me, put either mcguffie or mcdaid to left back they are both out and out left sided players mcdaid particularly does really well defensively when he is playing left mid, both players will probably finish up playing there in the future anyway.

this will keep the balance of the team right and then good options for right back, a must is bell and rose through the middle as they have a lot of height in there team. We then just have to get on with it my team would be presuming shanklands appeal fails.

Hart

Moffat, Moore

Subs

Why have you dropped Crawford? 

On the assumption that Geggan doesn't make it and Shankland is suspended then I'd go for the following next week:
Hart
Ferguson Rose Bell Crawford
McDaid Adams Kerr Forrest
Moore Moffat
Subs: anyone else who is fit
Key thing for me is we need to get as many of our better and experienced players in to the line-up and we play as few players out of position (i.e. only Crawford in this case). We also we need to change our approach.  Since we signed Shakland we've played the ball forward quicker as he's been a more able target.  Without him we need to go back to playing a bit more football and getting the ball wider to Forrest and McDaid.  It was working pre-Shankland but on Saturday we just kept on firing it up to Moore and that's just not his strength.
I suspect McCall will go with McGuffie over McDaid,  but on Saturday he looked like he just didn't have the heart for it and we can't carry passengers two weeks running.

Would be surprised if he played McGuffie over McDaid. McGuffie has shown he is probably our best impact sub but has been pretty awful every time he’s had decent game time.

Would be surprised if he played McGuffie over McDaid. McGuffie has shown he is probably our best impact sub but has been pretty awful every time he’s had decent game time.
Let's hope you're right. He took an awful long time to take him off on Saturday when he clearly wasn't in the game.

3 hours ago, Lochwood said:

Hart

Moffat, Moore

Subs

No even got Crawford on the bench, absolutely radge :1eye

Was that us?

That wee blonde headed shite at Gayfield? Worst goal I’ve ever seen but was very annoyed with it. [emoji23]

Archived