General Secretary of the West Region

Nugent4nil

On 4/15/2018 at 08:57, cmontheloknow said:

Maybe thinking of Joe Black?

TJ played for Neilston and I'd assume any loyalty, were there to be any, would be there. No Lok connection at all that I'm aware of.

Yup TJ was a Farmer's Boy from 1969 to 1972 and captained our 1970/71 'C' Division league champions side.  He is still one of only four league championship winning captains at Brig O'Lea along with Charlie Campbell in 1947, Andy Whiteford in 2006 and Martin Hughes in 2014.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alarmingly I’m informed by several delegates that at a west region meeting Kennie stood up and stated he would like to apologise to Scott Robertson for stating a full fixture list should be produced as after a few months Kennie admitted he was unable to see a way to do it. 

Alarmingly I’m informed by several delegates that at a west region meeting Kennie stood up and stated he would like to apologise to Scott Robertson for stating a full fixture list should be produced as after a few months Kennie admitted he was unable to see a way to do it. 

My understanding is that Kennie is not currently connected to any club in an official capacity, so on that basis why would he be at a West Region meeting ? I could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, glensmad said:

My understanding is that Kennie is not currently connected to any club in an official capacity, so on that basis why would he be at a West Region meeting ? I could be wrong.

As a former president, Kennie is a life member of the West Region in his own right and so is entitled to attend any and all meetings

11 minutes ago, TugW said:

Whether that's true story or not, producing a full season's fixture list with all the features clubs want is 100% possible. I know I could do it and there are plenty of other people who are equally capable.

What nobody can do is ensure that games will never need to be postponed & rescheduled - that just has to be done in an intelligent way sympathetic to the situations of the clubs concerned.

A full fixture list is absolutely doable. Every saturday filled with league/cup fixtures. Thereafter assign each fixture an alternative midweek date post season for fixtures after sat october. Then you can also implement cancelled fixtures during cup weekends when both teams are eliminated.
Fixture list sorted.

18 minutes ago, TugW said:

It was one of those votes where everyone knew it would never happen if they're honest about it!!!!

A full fixture list is absolutely doable. Every saturday filled with league/cup fixtures. Thereafter assign each fixture an alternative midweek date post season for fixtures after sat october. Then you can also implement cancelled fixtures during cup weekends when both teams are eliminated.
Fixture list sorted.

Not while the Scottish cup holds precedence you would be lucky if you got 50% of the games played on the date suggested cull the district cups move junior cup forward missing out 3rd week in November til middle March go back to 1 off semis at a senior ground on a Friday night then you have a great chance of a full fixture list. As someone who works on Saturdays they could plan better and see more games with a full fixture list I just think without above changes your pissing in the wind

Not while the Scottish cup holds precedence you would be lucky if you got 50% of the games played on the date suggested cull the district cups move junior cup forward missing out 3rd week in November til middle March go back to 1 off semis at a senior ground on a Friday night then you have a great chance of a full fixture list. As someone who works on Saturdays they could plan better and see more games with a full fixture list I just think without above changes your pissing in the wind

Exactly, change the approach to when the cups are scheduled and dont allow games to rumble on to 5/6 postponements, 2 chances maximum (unless its like snow fall etc) and then on to a suitable neutral venue.
Cull the district and sectional cups as you suggest would free up lots of space, or play the district cup at the start of the season midweek in place of the sectional.

Exactly, change the approach to when the cups are scheduled and dont allow games to rumble on to 5/6 postponements, 2 chances maximum (unless its like snow fall etc) and then on to a suitable neutral venue.
Cull the district and sectional cups as you suggest would free up lots of space, or play the district cup at the start of the season midweek in place of the sectional.

I think get stuck into league straight away with 30 league games we gotta get 30% played before end September to give us a fighting chance of completing 30 league games before July I’ve seen some really good ideas in here we are all junior supporters so let’s get it right next season last chance to save our grade of football imo

I think get stuck into league straight away with 30 league games we gotta get 30% played before end September to give us a fighting chance of completing 30 league games before July I’ve seen some really good ideas in here we are all junior supporters so let’s get it right next season last chance to save our grade of football imo

I dont personally think junior football will die, it just needs to move with the times. You can still get stuck into the league games and play the ayrshire and central cups on a wednesday July-September in place of the sectional and freeing up space at the end of the season. That way those who want to retain the cups make a wee concession and those who want to scrap say the sectional and central/ayrshire also make concessions to something thats quite sensible. There’s no harm in also playing a couple midweek league games in August if clubs are out the central cup etc. All it needs is a common sense approach.

1 hour ago, TugW said:

Not quite true actually. I never had any reason to apologise to Scott Robertson as I'd never at any time said a full fixture list should be produced.

I'm a Life Member of the Region and entitled to attend General meetings and the AGM.

At last years AGM when the Fixture List Proposal was being discussed, I did comment that a full fixture list was going to be very hard to achieve especially under all the current constraints we have. I did however add that we should be exploring ways to make it more achievable.  I have added below a passage taken from my letter to the clubs last year.

"Fixtures and Fixture Lists

I know this is a contentious issue with probably every club in the Region and there is no easy answer to this nor is there a quick fix out there waiting to be used. I fully understand the needs and reasons why a club would want advanced fixtures of more than a couple of weeks at a time. I also fully understand the reasons why this is sometimes hard to achieve. We are hampered by the weather, by postponements, by Scottish Cup replays, Scottish Cup draws, and other reasons, but I do believe with a bit of effort a more workable list can be achieved. Some of the things that would help would be to get the Cups drawn with more than just 1 round at a time, clubs being willing to use floodlights, better planning of fixtures during the worst months of weather related problems, provisional fixtures for clubs facing Cup postponements. I would make it my promise that I would look at ways to make it better."

11 minutes ago, Kennie said:

Not quite true actually. I never had any reason to apologise to Scott Robertson as I'd never at any time said a full fixture list should be produced.

I'm a Life Member of the Region and entitled to attend General meetings and the AGM.

At last years AGM when the Fixture List Proposal was being discussed, I did comment that a full fixture list was going to be very hard to achieve especially under all the current constraints we have. I did however add that we should be exploring ways to make it more achievable.  I have added below a passage taken from my letter to the clubs last year.

"Fixtures and Fixture Lists

I know this is a contentious issue with probably every club in the Region and there is no easy answer to this nor is there a quick fix out there waiting to be used. I fully understand the needs and reasons why a club would want advanced fixtures of more than a couple of weeks at a time. I also fully understand the reasons why this is sometimes hard to achieve. We are hampered by the weather, by postponements, by Scottish Cup replays, Scottish Cup draws, and other reasons, but I do believe with a bit of effort a more workable list can be achieved. Some of the things that would help would be to get the Cups drawn with more than just 1 round at a time, clubs being willing to use floodlights, better planning of fixtures during the worst months of weather related problems, provisional fixtures for clubs facing Cup postponements. I would make it my promise that I would look at ways to make it better."

Thanks for clearing that up. 

16 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Would you still communicate through P&B if you felt it was appropriate ?

100%  - Yes.

For a start I'd be happy to start a thread for questions to the secretary, and as long as they were relevant and respectful, I'd do my best to provide an answer.

I'd also start a Facebook Group page for all club delegates and secretaries that would be constantly live where information could be quickly put out. I'd be active on Twitter also.

I believe information and communication is key to a better future for the Clubs and the Region.

39 minutes ago, Kennie said:

100%  - Yes.

For a start I'd be happy to start a thread for questions to the secretary, and as long as they were relevant and respectful, I'd do my best to provide an answer.

I'd also start a Facebook Group page for all club delegates and secretaries that would be constantly live where information could be quickly put out. I'd be active on Twitter also.

I believe information and communication is key to a better future for the Clubs and the Region.

Excellent. Always believed a more open , approachable and flexible secretary would go a long long way in solving many issues ....that and the Scottish Cup not being scheduled during winter months.

Archived