General Secretary of the West Region

Nugent4nil

6 hours ago, Troon Portland said:

Pretty much what happened, yep.

After Scott was voted in again, Kennie congratulated him and said that he agreed with him that a fixture list couldn’t be done after all. Which I found quite incredulous at the time, as that was (and still is) the main talking point of the election & the apparently main differentiation between the candidates.

Sounds like self sabotage from kennie bizarre 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was told by a few people from other clubs who were there that kennie didnt put a good case across at all for himself when being asked questions in front of lots of people .

My own view is that Kennie made too many comments that could be viewed as not very professional on here last year. Nothing wrong with using the internet to keep communication up but there was definitely a bit of added dig to some things he said on here.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 21:03, TugW said:

Alarmingly I’m informed by several delegates that at a west region meeting Kennie stood up and stated he would like to apologise to Scott Robertson for stating a full fixture list should be produced as after a few months Kennie admitted he was unable to see a way to do it. 

9 hours ago, Troon Portland said:

Pretty much what happened, yep.

After Scott was voted in again, Kennie congratulated him and said that he agreed with him that a fixture list couldn’t be done after all. Which I found quite incredulous at the time, as that was (and still is) the main talking point of the election & the apparently main differentiation between the candidates.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 22:40, Kennie said:

Not quite true actually. I never had any reason to apologise to Scott Robertson as I'd never at any time said a full fixture list should be produced.

I'm a Life Member of the Region and entitled to attend General meetings and the AGM.

At last years AGM when the Fixture List Proposal was being discussed, I did comment that a full fixture list was going to be very hard to achieve especially under all the current constraints we have. I did however add that we should be exploring ways to make it more achievable.  I have added below a passage taken from my letter to the clubs last year.

"Fixtures and Fixture Lists

I know this is a contentious issue with probably every club in the Region and there is no easy answer to this nor is there a quick fix out there waiting to be used. I fully understand the needs and reasons why a club would want advanced fixtures of more than a couple of weeks at a time. I also fully understand the reasons why this is sometimes hard to achieve. We are hampered by the weather, by postponements, by Scottish Cup replays, Scottish Cup draws, and other reasons, but I do believe with a bit of effort a more workable list can be achieved. Some of the things that would help would be to get the Cups drawn with more than just 1 round at a time, clubs being willing to use floodlights, better planning of fixtures during the worst months of weather related problems, provisional fixtures for clubs facing Cup postponements. I would make it my promise that I would look at ways to make it better."

Please see the above and allow me to put my defence across once again.

Following the result of the election being declared, (Item 8 on the agenda) I did indeed congratulate Scott on his win and I wished him well for the future. That was all that was said at that time. Item 9 was the re-election of the Management Committee.

Item 10 was the Rule book changes recommendations from the Management Committee

Item 11 was the League Reconstruction Proposal

Item 12 was the Fixtures Proposal. A few delegates spoke for and against this motion and I did make a comment that a full fixture list was going to be hard to achieve. What I did say was that it would probably sound strange coming from someone that has just stood in an election against Scott Robertson but there are many reasons why a fixture list is currently unworkable. What we need to concentrate on is ways to make fixture setting better than what it currently is.

There was no apology from me to Scott, why would there be?  I have never at any time claimed that a Fixture List should be produced and therefore I had nothing to apologise for. Again I refer you to the above paragraph from my 'manifesto' letter to the clubs. 

I understand that this may be regarded as 'shooting myself in the foot' but I was merely trying to point out how problematic a fixed fixture list would be. That being said, with the proposal going through, I would have regarded it as my duty, however problematic, to produce the lists as required by the Constitution and Rules.

As it stands now, if successful this time around, I will produce a Fixture list according to those rules, but a lot of work still needs to be done to make sure that the schedule faces as little disruption as possible. 

Correct, as the only way to prove it wouldn't work is to try it. You can't prove something doesn't work which has never been tried. There has been no attempt whatsoever this season to even try to implement what the clubs voted for last summer.

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

Correct, as the only way to prove it wouldn't work is to try it. You can't prove something doesn't work which has never been tried. There has been no attempt whatsoever this season to even try to implement what the clubs voted for last summer.

When it wouldn't have worked Scott or any secretary would had received criticism that they should have not did it this way or that way. In another topic today a poster points out that this is the first Saturday since August that a full fixture card has been played. Clubs have to take more responsibility to ensure that the playing surfaces they have are fit for purpose.  It has been a poor winter and any fixture scheduling would have been disrupted with the weather and Scottish ties taking precedence.

Delighted for Wishaw to reach the Semi's finals but they lost 13 Saturdays through various postponements to play their ties in the Scottish. This gives them a horrendous run in to the end of the season. The game I'm going today at Dalry has seen Merksworth suffer on going issues that has seen their sponsor investing in the pitch. Even your own pitch in Rutherglen struggles in the wet weather.

When it wouldn't have worked Scott or any secretary would had received criticism that they should have not did it this way or that way. In another topic today a poster points out that this is the first Saturday since August that a full fixture card has been played. Clubs have to take more responsibility to ensure that the playing surfaces they have are fit for purpose.  It has been a poor winter and any fixture scheduling would have been disrupted with the weather and Scottish ties taking precedence.
Delighted for Wishaw to reach the Semi's finals but they lost 13 Saturdays through various postponements to play their ties in the Scottish. This gives them a horrendous run in to the end of the season. The game I'm going today at Dalry has seen Merksworth suffer on going issues that has seen their sponsor investing in the pitch. Even your own pitch in Rutherglen struggles in the wet weather.

"When it wouldn't have worked"

So, you're agreeing with Kennie then.
I'm sure he'll be relieved that someone is on his side.

5 hours ago, Kennie said:

Please see the above and allow me to put my defence across once again.

Following the result of the election being declared, (Item 8 on the agenda) I did indeed congratulate Scott on his win and I wished him well for the future. That was all that was said at that time. Item 9 was the re-election of the Management Committee.

Item 10 was the Rule book changes recommendations from the Management Committee

Item 11 was the League Reconstruction Proposal

Item 12 was the Fixtures Proposal. A few delegates spoke for and against this motion and I did make a comment that a full fixture list was going to be hard to achieve. What I did say was that it would probably sound strange coming from someone that has just stood in an election against Scott Robertson but there are many reasons why a fixture list is currently unworkable. What we need to concentrate on is ways to make fixture setting better than what it currently is.

There was no apology from me to Scott, why would there be?  I have never at any time claimed that a Fixture List should be produced and therefore I had nothing to apologise for. Again I refer you to the above paragraph from my 'manifesto' letter to the clubs. 

I understand that this may be regarded as 'shooting myself in the foot' but I was merely trying to point out how problematic a fixed fixture list would be. That being said, with the proposal going through, I would have regarded it as my duty, however problematic, to produce the lists as required by the Constitution and Rules.

As it stands now, if successful this time around, I will produce a Fixture list according to those rules, but a lot of work still needs to be done to make sure that the schedule faces as little disruption as possible. 

Even in the pro ranks a fixture list is given fine well knowing those dates given is not achievable due to postpone and cup games tv schedule etc..........but there given anyway as a starting platform those that get cancelled are really arranged around the list what's difficult about that 

Even in the pro ranks a fixture list is given fine well knowing those dates given is not achievable due to postpone and cup games tv schedule etc..........but there given anyway as a starting platform those that get cancelled are really arranged around the list what's difficult about that 

Absolutely nothing difficult about that, your point is excellent, even if Scottish cup games are called off they can be worked into the next week. Giving clubs the chance to work to a fixture list gives evert club, especially smaller ones the chance to market their games and attract new fans which given the downward trend is why many people turn away from junior football.

There will always be games called off, and genuine reasons why they are called off, and I don’t think I’ve spoken to anyone who would argue with that point - it is a fact of football no matter what level you are involved at, just at varying degrees. It’s how you deal with postponements that is the issue.

But to use the poor winter we’ve had as an excuse for ignoring this years constitution would be wrong - get the right fixtures issued in September & October did we? No.

For me personally, I would find it impossible to support anyone to compile a fixture list whose starting point is that a fixture list is impossible/unworkable. If you don’t agree or are fully behind the principle then please stand aside.

It’s just a scatter gun approach to issuing fixtures at the moment.There isn’t a plan or any consideration given to sporting integrity.

Sitting with sheets of paper a pencil and a rubber is straight out of the 1950s.

There was never any chance he would stick to the rule book and for that he should be asked to step aside.

It’s just a scatter gun approach to issuing fixtures at the moment.There isn’t a plan or any consideration given to sporting integrity.

Sitting with sheets of paper a pencil and a rubber is straight out of the 1950s.

There was never any chance he would stick to the rule book and for that he should be asked to step aside.

Nah im sorry I can’t agree, the man is an institution. He should be re-elected.

Eta I dont actually believe that, just feel bad no one’s sticking up for the guy!

On 21/04/2018 at 12:12, Wild Winton Rover said:

Not much been wrong with the Buffs park yet 3 home league matches in 8 months. Dalry have played more games on it than us in that period. 

I’m sure Scott’s mentioned in the past that criticism doesn’t bother him so what’s he been scared of?

If the SJFA was in charge we’d all still be riding around on horses because cars might go to fast, and the moon would be something to look at, as for the internet! That’s a bad idea.

anyone got any idea when the draws for the next round of the West and the regional cups will take plase?

Am guessing Thursday after wed nights ties,with the next round commencing the holiday monday or am i being to logical

Archived