General Secretary of the West Region

Nugent4nil

It’s obvious that the Scottish is the problem, so by moving it to earlier in the season would solve this and enable you to get a fixture list published.
It isn’t rocket science but using social media to inform clubs would be a huge step forward.
Talking of rockets.... fixture man has approx 20% of the seasons fixtures left to plan, but Darvel for example only know 3 of the possible 8 remaining...
Well done Scott “Trump” Robertson

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once heard it said that clubs wouldn't have moving the Junior Cup to earlier in the season for fear of not having a settled side but I'm sure pragmatism has to triumph conservatism once in a while.

As noted, bring the early rounds forward by a month or so, then do not touch Nov-Feb. Begin again in March with R4.

8 hours ago, Kennie said:

100%  - Yes.

For a start I'd be happy to start a thread for questions to the secretary, and as long as they were relevant and respectful, I'd do my best to provide an answer.

I'd also start a Facebook Group page for all club delegates and secretaries that would be constantly live where information could be quickly put out. I'd be active on Twitter also.

I believe information and communication is key to a better future for the Clubs and the Region.

a great idea in theory and open communication should be encouraged, however you only need to look at some of the threads on here to see how they can degenerate into personal abuse and drivel. So would be very careful on that one.

Is there a plan to prevent yourself and Robert splitting the vote ?

Once heard it heard that clubs wouldn't have moving the Junior Cup to earlier in the season for fear of not having a settled side but I'm sure pragmatism has to triumph conservatism once in a while.
As noted, bring the early rounds forward by a month or so, then do not touch Nov-Feb. Begin again in March with R4.

The way things are going they’ll soon be able to do away with a round of the Scottish anyway

1 hour ago, Sancho Panza said:

Is there a plan to prevent yourself and Robert splitting the vote ?

I understand that is not an issue, as it's not a straight "winner out of the three" vote. I'm told that the candidate with the least votes is eliminated and then everybody votes again for the remaining two candidates. The only way somebody could win after the first vote would be if they had over 50% of the votes, rendering the second vote pointless.

Perhaps Kennie could confirm that is the case ?

9 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I understand that is not an issue, as it's not a straight "winner out of the three" vote. I'm told that the candidate with the least votes is eliminated and then everybody votes again for the remaining two candidates. The only way somebody could win after the first vote would be if they had over 50% of the votes, rendering the second vote pointless.

Perhaps Kennie could confirm that is the case ?

Kennie informed me that this is the case, as far as I remember all in bottom person drops out then there is a final vote between the two remaining, the only way this would change is if one of the original three received more than 50% of the votes in the first round in which case they would be appointed and no second vote would happen.

But...

If some clubs are mandated to 'status quo' and others are mandated to vote for change (but a specific candidate), you could have a scenario where the incumbent (if there were 60 votes, have not got a tally of current roll) gets 25, leaving 35 between challengers, say 20 and 15. Those 15 discarded votes need to pick up someone else on 2nd ballot. If their preferred candidate is defeated, where do they go... a challenger they did not support (for whatever reason) or the 'safe' status quo?

It's a dangerous gamble.

6 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

But...

If some clubs are mandated to 'status quo' and others are mandated to vote for change (but a specific candidate), you could have a scenario where the incumbent (if there were 60 votes, have not got a tally of current roll) gets 25, leaving 35 between challengers, say 20 and 15. Those 15 discarded votes need to pick up someone else on 2nd ballot. If their preferred candidate is defeated, where do they go... a challenger they did not support (for whatever reason) or the 'safe' status quo?

It's a dangerous gamble.

I would reckon in that scenario that the 15 who didn't vote for the status quo would then vote for the other alternative candidate, as their mandate would be to vote for change and not the status quo.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

I would reckon in that scenario that the 15 who didn't vote for the status quo would then vote for the other alternative candidate, as their mandate would be to vote for change and not the status quo.

You would hope. But there may be reasons why a committee would back one challenger over another and then you have to put faith in the delegate doing what was mandated in the first place. I don't think you can rule out a "vote for change (providing it's Candidate B, otherwise status quo)".  Inertia and habit has kept plenty of elected folk in jobs they'd perhaps gone stale in.

But...
It's a dangerous gamble.

What other method would you suggest?

5 minutes ago, Beenzon-Toste said:

What other method would you suggest?

I just think there's more chance of success if it's 1 v 1. A 3rd party will dilute / complicate any message for change. You're completely gambling on committees (and mandated reps) voting for change regardless of who's implementing it in the event of SR surviving the first ballot. This will come down, as ever, to personalities. People voted for Scott because they had some affinity with him and he gets the season finished, by hook or by crook.

It's my opinion though, my committee days are behind me (for now) and what I think counts for zip! :lol:

I just think there's more chance of success if it's 1 v 1. A 3rd party will dilute / complicate any message for change. You're completely gambling on committees (and mandated reps) voting for change regardless of who's implementing it in the event of SR surviving the first ballot. This will come down, as ever, to personalities. People voted for Scott because they had some affinity with him and he gets the season finished, by hook or by crook.
It's my opinion though, my committee days are behind me (for now) and what I think counts for zip! [emoji38]

Yes he always gets the season finished. But at what cost?

I would have thought that given the closeness of last year's vote that he would have done more to justify his continuation in the role. (I heard he was quite shocked at how close it was.)
But no, if anything he has gone out of his way to make things worse, if that was at all possible.

21 minutes ago, Beenzon-Toste said:

I would have thought that given the closeness of last year's vote that he would have done more to justify his continuation in the role. (I heard he was quite shocked at how close it was.)
But no, if anything he has gone out of his way to make things worse, if that was at all possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no supporter of the current regime but at the same time an 'all guns blazing' approach to change could fall short again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no supporter of the current regime but at the same time an 'all guns blazing' approach to change could fall short again.

At the end of the day he has made no attempt to do the job or mandate he was voted in on last year i for 1 believe he shouldn’t be able to stand leaving 2 very credible junior men kennie and Robert free to put there cases forward I really can’t believe he is even being considered by clubs this could be the end if mr fag paper man is re elected

16 hours ago, archieb said:

Whether that's true story or not, producing a full season's fixture list with all the features clubs want is 100% possible. I know I could do it and there are plenty of other people who are equally capable.

What nobody can do is ensure that games will never need to be postponed & rescheduled - that just has to be done in an intelligent way sympathetic to the situations of the clubs concerned.

I can confirm that Kennie made that statement at last year's West A.G.M. when he said that he got to the first round of the Scottish Junior Cup and then had to give up.

Two things I think will help plan fixtures one the obvious one that everyone mentions is changing when the Scottish is played.

The other is one most people won’t like, but I believe we should draw all cups at the start of the season. Then we have it mapped out for the season ahead.

That would help ensure games can be played for any teams at a different stage of local cups instead of us sitting still waiting for draws to be made.

I understand that football has some form of nostalgia with cup draws, however we don’t wait for the World Cup last 16 draw to be made when the groups are done. And if you look at the West it’s now pretty much going to be all played in 4 weeks, the same time frame as a W/C.

Also having the Scottish drawn will again help the fixtures man be aware of potential Home draws teams could have that may mean a run of Home or away games which can impact parks or club finances.

I don’t think we need to have a full fixtures list, as the cups have too much of an impact.
Unless we only play league games on Saturday and cup games are mid week played April to end of May. Except of course the Scottish.

Don't worry Mr Robertson won't have many teams to worry about in the next few seasons anyway. As most of the smaller teams will have went to wall after the new league reconstruction by then .Problem sorted[emoji45]

32 minutes ago, superpollok said:

Two things I think will help plan fixtures one the obvious one that everyone mentions is changing when the Scottish is played.

The other is one most people won’t like, but I believe we should draw all cups at the start of the season. Then we have it mapped out for the season ahead.

That would help ensure games can be played for any teams at a different stage of local cups instead of us sitting still waiting for draws to be made.

I understand that football has some form of nostalgia with cup draws, however we don’t wait for the World Cup last 16 draw to be made when the groups are done. And if you look at the West it’s now pretty much going to be all played in 4 weeks, the same time frame as a W/C.

Also having the Scottish drawn will again help the fixtures man be aware of potential Home draws teams could have that may mean a run of Home or away games which can impact parks or club finances.

I don’t think we need to have a full fixtures list, as the cups have too much of an impact.
Unless we only play league games on Saturday and cup games are mid week played April to end of May. Except of course the Scottish.

I think you can do the fixture list BUT there needs to be flexibility too - play games on public holidays, be prepared to see scheduled late season games getting shuffled about. It's all but impossible with the SJC where it is though.

Archived