Stenhousemuir -vs- Nanna Pathetic

I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow afternoon's game. Annan Athletic have been a curious pain in the arse this season and we've not been able to get the better of them in our previous three encounters, drawing the first and losing the second and third.

I've only seen Annan once this term, when the sides met at Ochilview - it was a reasonably even contest until Stenhousemuir opened the scoring, at which point the visitors went right up the park and equalised without the Warriors even touching the ball. The only time I've ever seen that happen before is in video games. Annan then took full advantage of some rum goalkeeping from Chris Smith to score twice more. If you didn't laugh, you'd cry.

Stenny should be buoyant after their handsome win over Edinburgh City at the weekend, although I can't imagine Annan will be as generous. I don't know who's in and who's out for this match - perhaps "Moonglum25" or "CEMSFC" will update this thread - but I imagine big Mark McGuigan and Harry Paton are doubtful.

Post all your hot chat about the game of the weekend right here!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McGuigan out for another couple of weeks. Still doubts about Paton - unlikely,  Murray and Paterson, probable for bench. Team did not train on Tuesday night so should be fresher. Would imagine either McMenamen or Scott will start with Dallas.  Midfield of Ferry, Cook, Marsh and Ferns is likely with usual defnce. Nothing less than a win will be acceptable.

Well who knows how this one will go. Couldn't believe my eyes when we ran in four goals last week in front of our lowest crowd of the season, against what I though was a fairly decent Elgin side. Depends very much who decides to play and if they decide to play as a team for a change. Not the best Annan season by a long chalk but always the optimist. Some will no doubt be playing for place next season. Mon the Annan.

How did we play last week in Mark McGuigan's absence? Was it more of the same or did we aim to go through the middle of the park and out wide? It looked as though we played quite well going by the highlights but there's only so much you can learn from watching them.

Hard to make comment on that game. Again in a game we need to win we seem unable to raise our game.  We definitely got out of jail as Annan missed a good few chances in the second half. They looked the team most likely to win but thank goodness for Harry Paton and Mark Ferry.

Why do we insist on putting all eleven players in the box when we concede a corner?

We leave the area totally cluttered and as a result lost the first goal cheaply and easily. If we put 2 or 3 men on the half way line the opposition will have to at least match it and that will leave the penalty box less cluttered and also gives a chance of retaining possession if we clear it.

You can clearly see where the problems are on the pitch but Bomber appears incapable of doing anything to change it.

Why allow a player to continually take corners and free kicks when the are incapable of getting the ball past the first man, not just now and again but every game.

I say it often but substitutions again are a complete and utter joke. Why take so long to make a change,  was he waiting for us to concede a third first?  Eight minutes to go before we made a change. Throw the book away, if the players are not taught their role in training and cannot be trusted to listen to verbal instructions then there is a serious issue. Every other club makes substitutions against us when required and in a timely manner, we seem very reluctant to do so.

If the team can get their act together we have a good chance of finishing third but after that it would appear to be a big ask.  If we are safe in the play offs in the next couple of games look and see who is looking at suspensions and get that sorted out leaving us clear before the play offs.

Very happy today. A real roller coaster of a game which we could easily have lost, but having said that our first half performance included some pretty scintillating play. As good as we’ve been all season.

I think that is the first points we’ve won with a last minute goal. At last.

Annan played well today and will be disappointed not to take anything from that, but we got the rub of the green today.

That was a thoroughly entertaining game of football this afternoon. I think Stenhousemuir probably deserved to have won it but Annan Athletic certainly had their moments and must be disappointed to have emerged without a point. A top-four finish is well within our grasps and Stirling Albion might just looking over their shoulders.

There were some frustrations with Stenny's performance - outlined above by "Moonglum25" in his typically overwrought style, like a spurned teenage lover's diary! - most notably with some defensive issues (both Annan goals were preventable) and Eddie Ferns' wacky display - but there were a lot more good things than bad. Harry Paton was fantastic today and that might have been his best showing for the Warriors. His first goal was wonderfully taken, dragging the ball across the defender and into space before hammering home from 12 yards, and the build up to his second, a penalty, was superb - kettled in by two opposition players, he flicked the ball over their heads before turning and swapping passes with (I think) Alan Cook, who was fouled inside the box. Paton might be the best loan player I've seen at Ochilview.

Mark Ferry played well too, a pivot in the middle of the park, knocking simple balls here and there, and I was pleased to see him score his first goal for the club. He's definitely been one of our best signings this year.

11 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Mark Ferry played well too, a pivot in the middle of the park, knocking simple balls here and there, and I was pleased to see him score his first goal for the club. He's definitely been one of our best signings this year.

As you state he has been solid all season and made a goal saving tackle in the box. Harry Paton - where would be without him.  Some of his play today was outstanding.

10 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

A top-four finish is well within our grasps and Stirling Albion might just looking over their shoulders.

I think you will finish above us if you win your games in hand. We need at least 1 point to guarantee we get to the playoffs and hopefully we do the business at Annan next week otherwise it could be an interesting the last game of the season at Forthbank when you visit. 

2 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

As you state he has been solid all season and made a goal saving tackle in the box. Harry Paton - where would be without him.  Some of his play today was outstanding.

That block was fantastic, it came out of nowhere! There was one hairy moment towards the end of the match when Eddie Ferns somehow ran into him (?) but other than that, he was excellent.

Harry Paton's the best midfielder I've seen at the club since Eric "The Big Easy" Paton. We're lucky to have him.

We need at least 1 point to guarantee we get to the playoffs and hopefully we do the business at Annan next week otherwise it could be an interesting the last game of the season at Forthbank when you visit. 

It will only be interesting if both teams want to win mate. If Stenny or ourselves fancy a crack at Queens Park/Albion Rovers over a midweek trip to Peterhead (or maybe Montrose) then I have a feeling the last game could end up a damp squib as both teams rest players and play out a draw.

It will only be interesting if both teams want to win mate. If Stenny or ourselves fancy a crack at Queens Park/Albion Rovers over a midweek trip to Peterhead (or maybe Montrose) then I have a feeling the last game could end up a damp squib as both teams rest players and play out a draw.
Pretty sure the team that finish lower host the first leg, so it would be Peterhead away on the Saturday

Archived