2018/19 Challenge Cup

algy

What's the situation with the Challenge Cup next season?  Still have 2 sides from Wales/Norn Iron/Republic of Ireland, plus the non league sides and [basically] reserve teams from the SPL sides? 

Probably too much to hope for that we could return to something like the original format if need be include a number of HFL/LL sides, but definitely dump the Colt sides out of it. This cup may never have carried a huge amount of prestige but it served a purpose in giving teams that would be very unlikely to win a cup a chance, pushing the Colts in particular has devalued it to the extent of supporters staying away from watching their own teams play in those games.

1 hour ago, algy said:

What's the situation with the Challenge Cup next season?  Still have 2 sides from Wales/Norn Iron/Republic of Ireland, plus the non league sides and [basically] reserve teams from the SPL sides? 

Pardon the pedantry, but the SPL was done away with in summer 2013.

Although given the fustercluck naming style we ended up with in the SPFL, I think I preferred it...

Thanks all for the help & pedantry :)

On 4/13/2018 at 13:13, peternapper said:

Probably too much to hope for that we could return to something like the original format if need be include a number of HFL/LL sides, but definitely dump the Colt sides out of it. This cup may never have carried a huge amount of prestige but it served a purpose in giving teams that would be very unlikely to win a cup a chance, pushing the Colts in particular has devalued it to the extent of supporters staying away from watching their own teams play in those games.

Personal point of view:

I don't see what the Colt teams offer over including an extra 12 teams from the HFL/LL.  None got past the 2nd round, all seemed to attract smaller crowds than other games at the same stage.  Can see the case for limited Welsh/Irish participation, but not for them.  

Thanks all for the help & pedantry [emoji4]
Personal point of view:
I don't see what the Colt teams offer over including an extra 12 teams from the HFL/LL.  None got past the 2nd round, all seemed to attract smaller crowds than other games at the same stage.  Can see the case for limited Welsh/Irish participation, but not for them.  

The colt teams are great for winning coupons. Bet against them

I quite enjoyed playing both Welsh teams this season. CQN were guff mind you but the trip to Oswestry for the semi final is going to go down as legendary for the fans that travelled. Easily the best away trip I've ever had. The Colts can gtf!

Colts can GTF.  No interest whatsoever in seeing them.

Now the chance of an away trip to Wales or Ireland?  That's exciting and something that I really want to happen for Cowden this season if we get that far. 

Keep the Welsh/Irish teams. Great getting to go somewhere different for a change! I remember reading somewhere from us that there was potential "exciting" new things happening in this competition next season. Ive read the Isle of Man want to enter a team. Would be cool getting some English teams involved too. Heck lets get Shetland in would be a good trip ha

On 4/27/2018 at 15:14, football maniac said:

Keep the Welsh/Irish teams. Great getting to go somewhere different for a change! I remember reading somewhere from us that there was potential "exciting" new things happening in this competition next season. Ive read the Isle of Man want to enter a team. Would be cool getting some English teams involved too. Heck lets get Shetland in would be a good trip ha

If they are going to keep the Welsh and Irish teams then the SFPL should 1) ensure that any conflicts with dates are ironed out in advance and 2) if this isn't possible then the Irish or Welsh side should either forfeit their tie or prioritise it.

This season ICT had to wait months before we knew when we were playing Crusaders. In the end fans were given about 8 days notice to arrange travel. Fine if you are a home fan but a bit of a challenge if you are coming to a game from further afield.

Edited by RiG

Bangor City, curently 2nd in the Welsh Premier League, will be demoted as they have not had their licence approved. This means they also miss out on a Europa League place and presumably the Challenge Cup if Welsh clubs in it again. They were in 3rd place when the article was published but beat Bala Town 2-1 away last night.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43908796

3 hours ago, Eednud said:

Bangor City, curently 2nd in the Welsh Premier League, will be demoted as they have not had their licence approved. This means they also miss out on a Europa League place and presumably the Challenge Cup if Welsh clubs in it again. They were in 3rd place when the article was published but beat Bala Town 2-1 away last night.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43908796

That was the last game of the season. Desperately sorry for em. Been saying for years that the UEFA licence requirements would end up hitting someone - they're high standards  when your top flight contains amateur & factory teams - but never expected them to fall foul. Bangor City are a *big* club by WPL standards.

The Challenge Cup is really great for Welsh football, and semi-pro football in general. It's a shame the NIFL felt it wasn't important enough to mark the dates in their diaries when they are sorting out the fixtures, really doesn't reflect well on them or help further the cause of NI/Welsh football. Hopefully someone's had a bollocking and it won't happen again...

Adding in 2 teams from the Congo for next season...

Would it be stupid to suggest leaving the Championship clubs out too? How excited are fans of Championship clubs about this cup these days? I always think this competition is a bit harsh in mixing serious full-time clubs with part timers. Tiers 3-5 inclusive would be a cracking cup competition in which all but the bottom end of HFL and LL could realistically hope to beat anyone, and as more of the bigger Juniors start coming into the pyramid competition would get even fiercer.

Colts can GTF, obv. Apart from Cumbernauld...