Playing the Shame Game

Just now, smpar said:

I know the Airdrie game didn't relegate us, I was just highlighting that relegation wouldn't have been a possibility if we'd done the seemingly-simple task of not losing to them.

Indeed. I was at the game and how we never won it shall elude me forever more

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When we rocked up to Stirling Albion under Stephen Kenny. Stirling who hadn't won a home game in over a year bitch slapped us 3-0. My one and only visit there. Won't be back

The memory of Stirling Albion fans chanting “Can we play you every week” still cuts deep. [emoji23]

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

We lost and therefore went in to the playoffs. Where we lost to Alloa in the final and were relegated.

Which brings me on to another playoff game. Another final. Second leg, East End Park vs Cowdenbeath. 

The Alloa game when John Potter ran away from their forward from the halfway line and let him score is the second time I have laughed at how pathetic we were. Keddie against Morton the other. Why did he not just foul him?

cowden had a decent side tbf even though Hearts pumped them 10-0. Hemmings, big Nat and Greg stewart. 

46 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Losing the 2010 League Cup final to 9 man Rangers.

Next question please.

THIS...

I've never left a football game as angry and disapointed as that day.  It was there for the taking.  What a fucking punch in the guts that was.

I'm off to find next doors cat so i can boot it about the garden.  f**k sake.

Airdrie cup game at eep.

Airdrie fans singing over a Norrie tribute then losing from 3-1 up. Makel getting himself sent off needlessly. I remember saying to my dad "don't fancy going through to the replay" when the corner came in and they scored the fourth. 

1-8 to Celtic 

plenty to chose from

:lol:

Indeed. I was at the game and how we never won it shall elude me forever more

I don't really seem to remember even considering the prospect of relegation just before the Airdrie game. Obviously, the possibility was there but it just seemed like such an easy eventuality to avoid that I wasn't overly concerned about it.

I also remember the feeling of walking out of Station Park in Forfar after the first round of the challenge cup which was the first competitive game of the season since being relegated from the then SPL in 2012. The start of Jefferies' first full season in charge, and he'd brought in almost a full squad of players. We lost 3-2 and that felt bad enough, if only I'd known what was going to come in the next 3 years.

22 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

THIS...

I've never left a football game as angry and disapointed as that day.  It was there for the taking.  What a fucking punch in the guts that was.

I'm off to find next doors cat so i can boot it about the garden.  f**k sake.

Yup. My first St Mirren game was 1977, and I suffered the heartbreaking 1980s cup semi final defeats to the OF and Aberdeen. I was at Dens for the ‘ball through Billy’s legs’ replay defeat, and was pelted by coins at the ‘ball never crossed the line’ replay defeat to Deadco. I was at Hammarby.... nothing, in my opinion, was as bad as that 2010 final. It was right there, to defeat an ugly sister in a major final. Heroes - forever, but they fucked it up in a manner that saw me leave Hampden in a complete daze. Just brutal.

Then came 2013. A mere three years later St Mirren banished memories of 2010 to Room 101..... with a stunning semi final defeat of an OF side, and a classic 3-2 thrilling final. My god, that isn’t the St Mirren way. We were supposed to wake up in a cold sweat, re-living the 2010 final forever.... but those boys did it. In style.... while wearing a kit I designed. FFS.

20 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Airdrie cup game at eep.

Airdrie fans singing over a Norrie tribute then losing from 3-1 up. Makel getting himself sent off needlessly. I remember saying to my dad "don't fancy going through to the replay" when the corner came in and they scored the fourth. 

1-8 to Celtic 

plenty to chose from

:lol:

We've had a couple of stinkers against Airdrie haven't we? That was a fucking awful day, although we were never 3-1 up. We led 2-0, they got it back to 2-2, we nipped back in front and they scored two late, late goals to nick it. Brutal.

Losing to them on the final day when they'd already been relegated gets brought up a lot but the more painful result was the week before. We went to Firhill on their trophy day and were 3-1 with five minutes to go and threw away two points. It was a travesty as the second half performance that day is right up there with the best I've seen from a Pars side. Luckily we still had a home game with Airdrie to stay up...

Cowden one is easily the worst in my lifetime. 8000 Pars fans ready for a party and we got absolutely walloped. They scored after 40 seconds or something and it just got worse from there. I wasn't even angry as I think my brain was trying to repress what I was seeing in real time and short circuited. Funnily enough, if we'd won that game then JJ would be remembered quite fondly at EEP. If it wasn't for the horrible misfortune of being in the third tier the same year as Rangers, we would have romped to the title.

55 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

The Alloa game when John Potter ran away from their forward from the halfway line and let him score is the second time I have laughed at how pathetic we were. 

Tbf Potter was trying to cover Kerr Young that day who was absolutely shocking. 

47 minutes ago, smpar said:

I don't really seem to remember even considering the prospect of relegation just before the Airdrie game. Obviously, the possibility was there but it just seemed like such an easy eventuality to avoid that I wasn't overly concerned about it.

I also remember the feeling of walking out of Station Park in Forfar after the first round of the challenge cup which was the first competitive game of the season since being relegated from the then SPL in 2012. The start of Jefferies' first full season in charge, and he'd brought in almost a full squad of players. We lost 3-2 and that felt bad enough, if only I'd known what was going to come in the next 3 years.

On the first instance I'm the same, I was working that day and hadn't even thought about it, someone came on a later shift and mentioned off hand to me that Dunfermline were in the playoffs and it was a proper surreal moment. 

On that second instance I remember sitting in the car afterwards and a young fan walking behind it said that Dunfermline would probably be relegated that year. I just laughed. 

Fs. 

In a galaxy far far away, I remember watching the Bairns rip Clydebank a new one at Kilbowie. It ended up 1-7 or 0-7.

in the return fixture, I persuaded my old man to return to the fold, and see the Bairns play for the first time in near enough a decade. We got beat 1-2.

It was his 15 minutes of silence on the old Circular bus back to the Dobbie Hall in Stenhousemuir that was actually more painful than the game itself. Christ, it still makes me hyperventilate.

The Hammarby game was awful - made more awful because it was absolutely  f**king baltic that night.  The League Cup Final against  Her Majesty's XI was painful. For me however, the most shameful was our 7-0 defeat to Raith Rovers in our first game of the season (IIRC) following relegation the previous season.  Certainly the one that I got most abuse about from my mates. They kindly left 7 messages on my answering machine each message simply saying 7.  Cnuts!

One game will easily stick in the memory for all Livi fans is that day in Stranraer during our very own banter era.

Turned up at Stranraer thinking we should beat the 4th best team in League 1 and I stood on the other side of a fence that separated the Stranraer and Livi fans with there being a group of Stranraer lads making noise with a drum.

10 minutes Jordan White 1-0 Livi thinking this is going to be easy, the Livi fans ran up to the fence banging it goading the Stranraer fans and winding them up. Wish I'd never bothered :lol: 20 minutes 2-1 Stranraer with us getting a taste of our own medicine with them at the fence for every goal, went in half time 3-1 down.

Second half we were a bit better and got our goal on the 68th minute and started signing again after feeling a bit more confident only for Morgyn fucking Neill to chip the ball to a Stranraer players head for him to run on and score the 4th two minutes later.

A Darren Cole own goal sealed the most embarrassing day in our history. 5 fucking 2 :lol: Marc McCallum came to the fans after the match and started screaming and shouting about how unacceptable the performance was in a rather embarrassing rant.

What makes it even worse we got the tie level by going 4-1 up at the vale scoring in the 89th and 94th minute before losing in extra time because we had no balance to the team after throwing on so many strikers, 8-6 on aggregate in the end. All worked out for the best I suppose.

Just now, AMC13 said:

One game will easily stick in the memory for all Livi fans is that day in Stranraer during our very own banter era.

Turned up at Stranraer thinking we should beat the 4th best team in League 1 and I stood on the other side of a fence that separated the Stranraer and Livi fans with there being a group of Stranraer lads making noise with a drum.

10 minutes Jordan White 1-0 Livi thinking this is going to be easy, the Livi fans ran up to the fence banging it goading the Stranraer fans and winding them up. Wish I'd never bothered :lol: 20 minutes 2-1 Stranraer with us getting a taste of our own medicine with them at the fence for every goal, went in half time 3-1 down.

Second half we were a bit better and got our goal on the 68th minute and started signing again after feeling a bit more confident only for Morgyn fucking Neill to chip the ball to a Stranraer players head for him to run on and score the 4th two minutes later.

A Darren Cole own goal sealed the most embarrassing day in our history. 5 fucking 2 :lol: Marc McCallum came to the fans after the match and started screaming and shouting about how unacceptable the performance was in a rather embarrassing rant.

What makes it even worse we got the tie level by going 4-1 up at the vale scoring in the 89th and 94th minute before losing in extra time because we had no balance to the team after throwing on so many strikers, 8-6 on aggregate in the end. All worked out for the best I suppose.

Me and my 3 mates started heading down the stairs just as we scored that 89th min goal, sat down again in the seats at the front row thinking oh wait a minute, we might score an equaliser here, scored again taking it to ET and headed back up to our seats making out we were away for a pish there we weren't leaving honest. Wish to feck we'd kept on going and not bothered waiting for the ET. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Championship play offs 2 seasons ago, Stranraer 5 (FIVE) Livi 2,  fucksake Hoppy. 

I remember the update coming through on Twitter that Darren Cole was subbed on so I posted something on the match thread about how he'll probably score an own goal, thinking it was just a joke, and then...

20 minutes ago, AMC13 said:

A Darren Cole own goal sealed the most embarrassing day in our history. 5 fucking 2 :lol:

I still remember the 2nd leg as well, taking it to extra time and thinking we'll surely have too much for a part time side with 2 legs + plus extra time in a few days. One of the very few times I've left before the game finished. 

Fair to say Hopkin's learnt a lot since then, otherwise we'd be playing Hardie and Miller on the wings. 

The 4-1 return game was excellent, I can't believe we put ourselves into a position to save the tie. Just ran out of steam in the end.

Completely agree that the first leg was the worst result in our history though. Hopkin should have been emptied for it but clearly the board made the best decision long-term.

Honourable mention to our many clownshoes performances in the last 15 years of the Scottish Cup - Elgin, Annan, Alloa, East Fife, Ayr and East Stirling to name but a few.

Archived