Playing the Shame Game

All of ours have already been mentioned here.

2-2 at home to Rovers stands out.

Losing 7-1 at Tynecastle circa 2001

5-0 at home to Hamilton

3-1 home loss to Forfar just kind of compounded our 14-15 season for me.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

Not the fattest ! Back in the day Hawick RA played in a cup game at Palmerston. Their No 9  was so rotund that his shirt and shorts failed to meet by about 18 inches.

The vision of that pale lump of blubber bouncing around is one that haunts me every time the word Hawick is mentioned.

At least it wasn't a shame game, we won.

I was at that one, but don't recall our rotund friend.  I think the game is on YouTube though as Border filmed it for their Friday night programme, so it sounds worth a look.

He was never anything like Yardley, but I do remember that by the time FA Cup winning Dick Malone joined us, he couldn't fit into the skimpy shorts sported by the rest of the team and wore plain white ones instead.

51 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Reading these stories about Morton fans and having read some of the stuff on their thread in the past I'm amazed that some of their fans haven't murdered each other.

Would explain the rapidly-dwindling numbers, tbf.

35 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Haven’t seen it mentioned yet but the gubbing at home to Partick Thistle in our administration season is worth a mention. Toxic atmosphere in the stands between those protesting against the board and those still buying into the whole Masterton era. 

Mass protest outside the main stand long before the final whistle with the police eventually moving in to disperse the crowds. 

Somehow managed to talk myself out of a night in the cells when it was looking odds on at one point. 

I was I'm the Norrie and I don't remember it being that bad, the team even got clapped off when they were 4-0 down at half time, I wasn't near anybody sticking up for Masterton though, mental. Everyone around me was firmly in the camp that Masterton was a dick. 

What was the game where a fan went on the pitch with a banner? 

In terms of poisonous atmospheres, I'd say the away loss to Livi back in 2005 under Hay was pretty bad. 

If we're talking sheer embarrassing results, there's quite possibly too many to mention. For me, the one that sticks out is the 5-0 home defeat to Hamilton Accies season 07-08. Totally embarrassing. Who knew Sol Bamba would kick another ball after that day.

25 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I was I'm the Norrie and I don't remember it being that bad, the team even got clapped off when they were 4-0 down at half time, I wasn't near anybody sticking up for Masterton though, mental. Everyone around me was firmly in the camp that Masterton was a dick. 

What was the game where a fan went on the pitch with a banner? 

There were certainly a few flash points in the North West stand where it threatened to get out of hand. 

That was the Dumbarton game. I don’t think I’m out of line in calling that particular fan a Dunfermline hero. 

Jocky Scott getting it tight at Meadowbank v Pars. Casually flicking the vs at Pars fans. The promotion bandwagon is wobbling. Jocky less popular than ever. Next week, Cowden (R) pitch up at East End having not won all season. The night before some of their fans break in, vandalise the place and write some rude words on the pitch. They then beat us, with the rotund son of a former pars 1960s legend scoring. Pars reserve keeper having to be linesman for much of the game can't help us. Promotion effort fucked. Several hundred strong lynch mob pitches up on Halbeath Road outside the main stand baying for Jocky's blood. 

2003-04 - The 3-0 defeat at Dumbarton trumps most others mentioned. Absolutely poisonous atmosphere  - Weatherson in tears as he was subbed to choruses of "Peter, Peter, get to f**k" and fans trying to get at Cowboy at full time.

This came not too long after a 6-1 defeat at Hamilton (the real beginning of the end), with fans arguing with each other of the merits/shame of leaving early.

Promotion still in our hands, we followed that Dumbarton debacle with a 2-0 defeat at Berwick, where following the typical party mood in the Berwick pubs, the fans gathered to watch a complete no-show of a performance. My mate was shouting at the team to "at least fucking acknowledge us!" at full time.

1993-94  - when we were one of 5 teams relegated due to reconstruction has some crackers too. Two separate 2-0 defeats at Boghead had fans near the stand repeatedly calling for the chairman to "get to f**k". A 5-1 defeat at Love Street (4-0 down after 30 minutes) saw repeatedly loud cries of "McGraw must go!".

2013-14 was not good either - must be a thing we do every 10 years, despite beating a team from the league above in the League Cup each time.

I can vaguely recollect beating Dunfermline 1-0 in the SPL with a late winner that pretty much relegated them and their fans trying to invade the pitch at the end. I sat in the main stand close to the Pars support and recollect that it was a pretty toxic atmosphere at the end.

Think it was 2007 or around then.

The general set-up at our ground can often fuel the fire of potential shame games, particularly for visiting full time clubs.

One stand, towards which management teams have to make the 'long walk', coupled with visiting fans' genuine outrage of losing to a diddy team. Throw in any other extenuating circumstances and it can all end up a bit frenzied. 

The much-mentioned Morton match of 04 is a good example. as was Ian Murray's last match in charge of St. Mirren. Our 4-1 pumping of Hamilton in the penultimate game of the season a few years back went a bit 'shamey' as well.

On the other hand Bonnyrigg was awful from our point of view. 

I can vaguely recollect beating Dunfermline 1-0 in the SPL with a late winner that pretty much relegated them and their fans trying to invade the pitch at the end. I sat in the main stand close to the Pars support and recollect that it was a pretty toxic atmosphere at the end.

Inverness confirmed our relegation in 2007, we hadn’t played Falkirk since January.

Inverness confirmed our relegation in 2007, we hadn’t played Falkirk since January.

I was checking up on this and it was January 2007 and I think both teams were scrambling down the bottom.
It was probably just the fact that it was a late winner (Alan Gow) in a key game that had the impact it did.
All in all I have been to a few games with toxic atmospheres (the worst by far being Rapid v Steaua) but nothing much with Falkirk.

23 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Never happened (the attempted pitch invasion bit)

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Never happened (the attempted pitch invasion bit)

I do recall a game around that period where a fan from North West walked onto the pitch and proceeded to give the w****r sign to the traveling support.

I’d like it on the record that this wasn’t me. 

When I was about 13 I started greeting after a 1-0 defeat to Aberdeen at home, next to a group of Dons fans who found it incredibly funny - more so when I threw my hat at them. My dad told me to get used to the feeling. I’m not really sure what tipped me over the edge but it’s one of 3 games I’ve shed a tear, 2009 final and Sibbs header in the SC semis being the others.

When I was about 13 I started greeting after a 1-0 defeat to Aberdeen at home, next to a group of Dons fans who found it incredibly funny - more so when I threw my hat at them. My dad told me to get used to the feeling. I’m not really sure what tipped me over the edge but it’s one of 3 games I’ve shed a tear, 2009 final and Sibbs header in the SC semis being the others.
98 Semi, when wee Crunchie put on a fucking masterclass including one of the finest goals I have ever witnessed in the flesh.... Then we got dicked out by a goal where I think we all felt there was a clear foul in the buildup.

Was so gutted for Crunchie and distinctly remember tears then. I would be 12 at the time.

17 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Yup. My first St Mirren game was 1977, and I suffered the heartbreaking 1980s cup semi final defeats to the OF and Aberdeen. I was at Dens for the ‘ball through Billy’s legs’ replay defeat, and was pelted by coins at the ‘ball never crossed the line’ replay defeat to Deadco. I was at Hammarby.... nothing, in my opinion, was as bad as that 2010 final. It was right there, to defeat an ugly sister in a major final. Heroes - forever, but they fucked it up in a manner that saw me leave Hampden in a complete daze. Just brutal.

Then came 2013. A mere three years later St Mirren banished memories of 2010 to Room 101..... with a stunning semi final defeat of an OF side, and a classic 3-2 thrilling final. My god, that isn’t the St Mirren way. We were supposed to wake up in a cold sweat, re-living the 2010 final forever.... but those boys did it. In style.... while wearing a kit I designed. FFS.

Worst part of that was walking out the ground and being taunted by Rangers fans.................they didn’t even stay to watch their team lift the cup...................the only bright spot is their club died and mine won the cup 3 years later.

Archived