Job Applications

Anyone ever had to go through any job applications when there's a vacancy at your workplace?

Outside the usual mental wage expectations and 'I can't work Saturdays (it's retail ffs) I've sifted through, and came across  a couple of belters in the process.

From a lassie in her early 20's....

Do you have any criminal convictions?

Yes.
Drink driving, criminal damage and assault. Was a one-off incident though and I've never been in trouble with the police since.

And a lad im his 30's....

List any personal achievements

I was on security at Stephen Hawkings funeral.

:lol:

Not specifically, but having always assumed that applying to a company of the size of who I work for there would be a real degree of seriousness and professionalism involved. Then I spemt some time in the office where our gaffers would frequently just shout out a name looking for anyone who knew them (small world). If the shout of "fanny" came back from anyone, the application was binned.

Eye opener.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Not specifically, but having always assumed that applying to a company of the size of who I work for there would be a real degree of seriousness and professionalism involved. Then I spemt some time in the office where our gaffers would frequently just shout out a name looking for anyone who knew them (small world). If the shout of "fanny" came back from anyone, the application was binned.

Eye opener.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Eye opener.

I wish HR at my work was that efficient.

13 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Give it to the nicest looking lassie with the biggest chebs.

That is a universal truth.

We've already employed two lassies like that in the last 4 months. Done wonders for business :lol:

11 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

Anyone ever had to go through any job applications when there's a vacancy at your workplace?

Outside the usual mental wage expectations and 'I can't work Saturdays (it's retail ffs) I've sifted through, and came across  a couple of belters in the process.

From a lassie in her early 20's....

Do you have any criminal convictions?

Yes.
Drink driving, criminal damage and assault. Was a one-off incident though and I've never been in trouble with the police since.

And a lad im his 30's....

List any personal achievements

I was on security at Stephen Hawkings funeral.

Was once interviewing someone using the company's then favourite 'competency based' interview script.  I asked the guy "Can you tell me about a time when you provided excellent customer service?"

Now anyone who has been  on either side of a competency based interview will tell you that the interviewee can pretty much make up any old crap, which the interviewer has very little chance of verifying.  The trick is to make the answer good without being implausible.

After about 2  minutes of sighing, shoulder shrugging, shuffling in his seat, looking out the window into the distance for inspiration, puffing of cheeks and general awkward body tics, the guy says 

"no"

I had to conduct the rest of the interview while my colleague, who was sitting in to take notes, didn't bother taking any more notes, instead spending the rest of the time keeping his head down and trying to stifle guffaws of laughter.

10 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Give it to the nicest looking lassie with the biggest chebs.

That is a universal truth.

This.  At least if said lassie turns out to be crap at the job, she provides some pleasant viewing around the place.

Archived