Champions 2017/8 vs Morton | Guard of Honour edition

1 minute ago, glenburn bud said:

I genuinely don’t get the depth of bad feeling towards Jim Duffy.

Sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for in regards to the kind of man you get if the man currently at the helm gets the bullet. Look at where we were a year and a half ago, we had Alex Rae that says it all.

Duffy has taken us as far as he can. He’s cost the club literally hundreds of thousands of pounds (2nd was achievable 2 months ago, now we could easily finish 7th) through his own incompetence by making mental team selections at every important match this season. Any other manager, in any industry would be emptied for this. 

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please see previous post with regards to getting your heid checked.

5 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

I paid for my ticket on Thursday morning and picked it up at Cappielow before the QOTS game. Two hours after picking it up I was wondering why I had bothered. Now I have a “f*ck it” attitude towards the whole thing and am going along purely with the hope that St. Mirren field their u20 team and we hump them 7-0.

Also, they won't, we won't, and even if we did, it would be entirely meaningless.

8 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

I paid for my ticket on Thursday morning and picked it up at Cappielow before the QOTS game. Two hours after picking it up I was wondering why I had bothered. Now I have a “f*ck it” attitude towards the whole thing and am going along purely with the hope that St. Mirren field their u20 team and we hump them 7-0.

You're the only team in the division we haven't beaten this season - I'm sure JR & the team know this and will want to complete the set.

I anticipate nothing less than a good old fashioned blood&thunder attitude from us on Saturday

21 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I genuinely don’t get the depth of bad feeling towards Jim Duffy.

Sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for in regards to the kind of man you get if the man currently at the helm gets the bullet. Look at where we were a year and a half ago, we had Alex Rae that says it all.

As always, an outsider looking in thinks he's doing an ok job. The devil is in the detail, and for a Morton fan, the detail is excruciating.

He builds a squad with an idea to play a rotten 433.

Realises early, after struggling to beat Berwick and Failing to beat Queens Park, that it's not working and bins it, but now doesn't have a balanced squad to play 442 due to the lack of signing wingers.

Doesn't know his best team and formation for the first half of the season.

Finally addresses things by signing a winger towards the end of January. Finally balance. Finally a settled team and formation We go unbeaten in 7 (6 wins, 1 draw) with said winger in the team.

We reach a crunch playoff match. 2nd vs 3rd. Big game. Huge chance to push for 2nd. He bins the aforementioned successful setup and rests key players fielding a weakened team in one of the most important league games of the season (many believed with 1 eye on the following game which is Celtic in the cup. Prioritising the cup over the league. Determined not to lose face as his media pals would be watching. Actually, unbeknown to us, this was the start of a final third meltdown).

Continues to chop and change, team and formation. Preposterous 'tombola' team selections. Players playing out of position. The aforementioned winger dumped on the bench.

We proceed to win 2 from our next 10 (Brechin and Dumbarton, so 2 gimmes and we only managed to beat Dumbarton with a last minute winner). Season over, playoff chances ended. It'll be 2 from 12 come the end of the season.

Take Saturday for example. When we turn up at most games, nobody has any chance of guessing what Duffy's lineup will be but this week went one step further. Nobody, ever, would have imagined, in a must win game, he'd pluck playing our left back as a central midfielder right out of his hole (with Gary Fraser sitting on the bench, keeping the aforementioned winger company).

So with 2 games to go, Duffy clearly still doesn't know what our best team and formation is. He's blown our playoff place, cost us a fortune (the prize money difference between 2nd and 6th is £237,000.)

But no doubt he'll come out with how tough a game it was because Queens were well up for it and we only lost by a single goal.

He's an imbecile.

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

As always, an outsider looking in thinks he's doing an ok job. The devil is in the detail, and for a Morton fan, the detail is excruciating.

He builds a squad with an idea to play a rotten 433.

Realises early, after struggling to beat Berwick and Failing to beat Queens Park, that it's not working and bins it, but now doesn't have a balanced squad to play 442 due to the lack of signing wingers.

Doesn't know his best team and formation for the first half of the season.

Finally addresses things by signing a winger towards the end of January. Finally balance. Finally a settled team and formation We go unbeaten in 7 (6 wins, 1 draw) with said winger in the team.

We reach a crunch playoff match. 2nd vs 3rd. Big game. Huge chance to push for 2nd. He bins the aforementioned successful setup and rests key players fielding a weakened team in one of the most important league games of the season (many believed with 1 eye on the following game which is Celtic in the cup. Prioritising the cup over the league. Determined not to lose face as his media pals would be watching. Actually, unbeknown to us, this was the start of a final third meltdown).

Continues to chop and change, team and formation. Preposterous 'tombola' team selections. Players playing out of position. The aforementioned winger dumped on the bench.

We proceed to win 2 from our next 10 (Brechin and Dumbarton, so 2 gimmes and we only managed to beat Dumbarton with a last minute winner). Season over, playoff chances ended. It'll be 2 from 12 come the end of the season.

Take Saturday for example. When we turn up at most games, nobody has any chance of guessing what Duffy's lineup will be but this week went one step further. Nobody, ever, would have imagined, in a must win game, he'd pluck playing our left back as a central midfielder right out of his hole (with Gary Fraser sitting on the bench, keeping the aforementioned winger company).

So with 2 games to go, Duffy clearly still doesn't know what our best team and formation is. He's blown our playoff place, cost us a fortune (the prize money difference between 2nd and 6th is £237,000.)

But no doubt he'll come out with how tough a game it was because Queens were well up for it and we only lost by a single goal.

He's an imbecile.

You make a very well balanced viewpoint of how he is failing.

As you say I’m looking from the outside, so perhaps he’s taken things as far as he can. Who would you like to see come in as a replacement, given that your core squad looks very decent from the outside looking in. 

51 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

You make a very well balanced viewpoint of how he is failing.

As you say I’m looking from the outside, so perhaps he’s taken things as far as he can. Who would you like to see come in as a replacement, given that your core squad looks very decent from the outside looking in. 

There's a thread on the Morton forum talking about the squad for next season - who should be kept, who should be let go. It's telling when you see just how many players from the squad most people would be happy to keep. Consensus seems to be that we have the makings of a decent squad who, if set up correctly, the right players in their preferred positions, with a couple of decent additions, should have been challenging. This points the finger squarely at Duffy and his mismanagement of that squad.

I've not really thought about the 'who' with regards to a replacement. But someone who sets the team up correctly, plays the best players and in their preferred position, sets us up to play to OUR strengths not to try to counter the threat of the opposition (or the weather) every week, even against Brechin. Someone who talks up our strengths and potential, rather than how good the opposition is and how tough a task it will be to even compete with them, even against Brechin. And actually someone who sets a tangible target for the team, not Duffy's 'well, we'll just see how we do and see how high it gets us' mantra.

22 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

There's a thread on the Morton forum talking about the squad for next season - who should be kept, who should be let go. It's telling when you see just how many players from the squad most people would be happy to keep. Consensus seems to be that we have the makings of a decent squad who, if set up correctly, the right players in their preferred positions, with a couple of decent additions, should have been challenging. This points the finger squarely at Duffy and his mismanagement of that squad.

I've not really thought about the 'who' with regards to a replacement. But someone who sets the team up correctly, plays the best players and in their preferred position, sets us up to play to OUR strengths not to try to counter the threat of the opposition (or the weather) every week, even against Brechin. Someone who talks up our strengths and potential, rather than how good the opposition is and how tough a task it will be to even compete with them, even against Brechin. And actually someone who sets a tangible target for the team, not Duffy's 'well, we'll just see how we do and see how high it gets us' mantra.

All great civilisations fail and whilst Duffy is clearly not an imbecile his squad building and tactical abilities are well past their use by date. Eventually St Mirren will have to decide when to punt Ross. Timing is all. Our mistake was granting a new contact and  not lining up a replacement for Duffy after last season’s collapse.

It’s nonsense though  to pretend we have the makings of a decent balanced squad.  Kenny S was ridiculed because of the drivel he used to spout about the sum of the units  but with this lot he has a point.  Our full backs are woeful, midfield is too immobile doesn’t provide sufficient defensive cover or offensive support, we have no wingers and no strikers to speak off  The team is  incapable of playing a high tempo offensive  pressing game. We have defensive capabilites but possession or hoof ball without pressure or penetration is pointless.  A  new manager needs to clear out the stables.

in spite of what Duffy says publicly his and the players contracts will have points and place targets.

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

We never sacked Danny Lennon.

Bloody pedant, I knew as I was typing that someone would say it. :P

He was as good as sacked, but yes, his contract wasn't renewed. The club made the choice, was my point. As you well know ;)

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Bloody pedant, I knew as I was typing that someone would say it. :P

He was as good as sacked, but yes, his contract wasn't renewed. The club made the choice, was my point. As you well know ;)

Me? A troublemaker? How very dare you. :)

8 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

:blink:

This is one manager we won't be sacking. First time in three decades.

Well that’ quote is likely to come back to haunt you. Unless  you have already tied up some quality on pre-contract agreements or another Championship side goes up you are quite likely to Brechin it.

1 hour ago, Branch Ton said:

Well that’ quote is likely to come back to haunt you. Unless  you have already tied up some quality on pre-contract agreements or another Championship side goes up you are quite likely to Brechin it.

Imagine being a Ton fan and literally only having our possible future relegation from the top flight to look forward to. Must be a lousy existence, that.

2 hours ago, M0rtonfc said:

Are we able to buy tickets for the away end up at the ground on Sat like last time? or is it just Cappielow and Smiths during business working hours which is no good to anyone?!

Available from the club only. I’d assume that’s to stop St. Mirren fans who don’t have a ticket for the home end walking up on the day and buying a ticket for the away end.

2 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Available from the club only. I’d assume that’s to stop St. Mirren fans who don’t have a ticket for the home end walking up on the day and buying a ticket for the away end.

At every other game away fans can get their ticket at our place but like as you say, this one is a bit different.

Archived