Morton v Queens - 14/04/2018

Guest Flash
51 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We've had plenty of clean sheets this season. Its just they havent been recent and when they have come along they've tended to be part of 0-0 draws more often than not.

I think we have had 10 clean sheets in the league. Martin has 8 from 21 full games. Leighfield has 2 from 12 starts plus 1 sub.

Martin has conceded 27 in 21 games. Leighfield has conceded 25 in 12 plus one sub.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Flash said:

I think we have had 10 clean sheets in the league. Martin has 8 from 21 full games. Leighfield has 2 from 12 starts plus 1 sub.

Martin has conceded 27 in 21 games. Leighfield has conceded 25 in 12 plus one sub.

With 50% of those clean sheets in 0-0 draws. Clean sheets in 10 of 34 games seems decent but does question what the hell went on in the other games :lol:

We`ve played 34 games and conceded 52 goals. With clean sheets in 10 games that`s 52 goals conceded in 24 games when we do concede. That`s more than 2 goals per game. Backs up the feeling that when we do concede we often lose another in quick time.

Guest Flash
31 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

With 50% of those clean sheets in 0-0 draws. Clean sheets in 10 of 34 games seems decent but does question what the hell went on in the other games :lol:

We`ve played 34 games and conceded 52 goals. With clean sheets in 10 games that`s 52 goals conceded in 24 games when we do concede. That`s more than 2 goals per game. Backs up the feeling that when we do concede we often lose another in quick time.

In danger of clogging up the thread with this pish, but Martin has conceded 3 goals in 4 games out of 21. Leighfield has conceded 3 goals in 5 games out of 12 starts.

In terms of points per game, Martin’s average over a season would be 55 points. Leighfield’s average over a season would be 39 points.

Bearing in mind Martin wasn’t fit for a good number of the games he played, it could be argued that the failure to have a fit keeper, or an adequate replacement, has cost us the possibility of being in the top 4. Of course, the whole defence has to take a share of the blame for the awful goals against total.

We have a young defence and throwing an even less experienced 'keeper into the equation was only going to end badly.  It's no coincidence that the top two teams in the division have vastly experienced goalkeepers.

The level we are operating at means it's hard to knock the club's policy in employing a first choice goalie, with a youngster in reserve.  In doing so you just have to hope the number one doesn't pick up any long term injuries.  Unfortunately that's exactly what happened.  Or more accurately three separate medium-term injuries.

Should we have tried to bring another goalkeeper in?  Possibly, but would we have been able to get anyone in of a similar level to Martin?  More likely to have been a youngster from the Premiership with no more experience than Leighfield.

I still strongly believe the biggest mistake we made this season in the goalkeeping department was playing Martin when he was injured.  Even if it didn't negatively impact his recovery (only he will really know this), it cost us goals at the time and it was embarrassing to watch how immobile he was.

Of course our goalkeeping woes coinciding with Lee Robinson kicking his heels on the sidelines at the start of the season didn't help matters.  I'm still adamant getting shot of him was the correct decision.  I was sick of the sight of him after last season.

All in all there are a lot of lessons to be learned from this season, in all areas not just goalkeeper.

We have a young defence and throwing an even less experienced 'keeper into the equation was only going to end badly.  It's no coincidence that the top two teams in the division have vastly experienced goalkeepers.
The level we are operating at means it's hard to knock the club's policy in employing a first choice goalie, with a youngster in reserve.  In doing so you just have to hope the number one doesn't pick up any long term injuries.  Unfortunately that's exactly what happened.  Or more accurately three separate medium-term injuries.
Should we have tried to bring another goalkeeper in?  Possibly, but would we have been able to get anyone in of a similar level to Martin?  More likely to have been a youngster from the Premiership with no more experience than Leighfield.
I still strongly believe the biggest mistake we made this season in the goalkeeping department was playing Martin when he was injured.  Even if it didn't negatively impact his recovery (only he will really know this), it cost us goals at the time and it was embarrassing to watch how immobile he was.
Of course our goalkeeping woes coinciding with Lee Robinson kicking his heels on the sidelines at the start of the season didn't help matters.  I'm still adamant getting shot of him was the correct decision.  I was sick of the sight of him after last season.
All in all there are a lot of lessons to be learned from this season, in all areas not just goalkeeper.

We couldn’t even afford a goal keeping coach at £100 per session so there’s no way the club would fork out for another keeper to come in!!

Excellent highlights. Was really impressed with the work rate and link up play of Lyndon Dykes. He seems to be finishing the season strongly. Great to see a clean sheet and 3 points and hopefully we see the season out strongly. Loved the clearing header from rankin with not a Morton player near him. The sooner he is gone the better. I have nothing against him personally but I just no longer want him in a Queens shirt. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Terrific highlights as always. A boon for those of us who couldn't be there.

Great to see big Al back in with two excellent saves, looks to be back to his best 

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

Who is Dykes gesturing towards after his goal, is that home or away supporters behind the goal?

Morton fans.

Slightly lucky, considering he was on a booking already in the game, not to be booked for the cupping an ear thing. I don't think that should be a booking but I've seen people booked for it before.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Morton fans.

Slightly lucky, considering he was on a booking already in the game, not to be booked for the cupping an ear thing. I don't think that should be a booking but I've seen people booked for it before.

Stephen Finnie's a Queens fan.

Archived