Shrine to Dead Burglar Removed

Just now, strichener said:

He might not have "deserved" to die but it was absolutely a consequence of his decision to commit the crime.  No sympathy at all.

Oh, I don't disagree. I'm satisfied that the police found the homeowner had acted within the law. However a massive amount of perma-seething nutjobs are saying that as soon as he broke into the guy's house he forfeited his right to life, and that they couldn't understand why the homeowner was even arrested in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

There are obviously two sides to this.

Was he right in choosing to burgle someone's house? Absolutely not.

Did that choice mean he deserved to die? No, in my opinion.

As an aside, there are a scary amount of frothing right-wingers who have suddenly became an expert on police procedure and trespass laws over the past week.

It's not a case of saying someone deserved to die but the householder was entitled to use force to defend himself, his family and his property.

There was a good blog about this by the Secret Barrister - https://thesecretbarrister.com/2018/04/05/bashing-burglars-and-the-law-of-self-defence/

Just now, ICTChris said:

It's not a case of saying someone deserved to die but the householder was entitled to use force to defend himself, his family and his property.

Absolutely. But my point is that there were plenty folk who did say that he deserved to die.

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Absolutely. But my point is that there were plenty folk who did say that he deserved to die.

the far right minded like to blame people for everything and the far left minded people will find an excuse and use some sort of hardship as an excuse for what they did.

its the way people are.

I'd say that Dan is going over the top but then I remembered (thanks to Jimmy's post) that someone on here offered up excuses for the guy who stole credit cards from a victim of the Manchester bombing.

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'd say that Dan is going over the top but then I remembered (thanks to Jimmy's post) that someone on here offered up excuses for the guy who stole credit cards from a victim of the Manchester bombing.

I'm not saying there will be plenty of folk lining up to defend the guy but there is always someone who will find an excuse and take any blame away from the people who are in the wrong.

3 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

the far right minded like to blame people for everything and the far left minded people will find an excuse and use some sort of hardship as an excuse for what they did.

its the way people are.

I don't consider myself too far-left, but in my everyday life I can see first-hand the circumstances that can turn people into a life of desperation.

That doesn't mean they don't have a choice in their actions, however.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I don't consider myself too far-left, but in my everyday life I can see first-hand the circumstances that can turn people into a life of desperation.

this may sound stupid but i can understand people who are desperate, stealing food, selling drugs etc to make ends meet , all of these things have  consequences and i'd tend to feel sorry for the person doing this , but i think it's stooping to a lower level to be breaking into someones home is just totally different and far more personal.

15 minutes ago, Gaz said:

He got jailed before for conning a pensioner out of £84,000 for replacing a roof tile.

Didn't realise until I read this post that the burglar was stabbed with his own screwdriver and had been threatening the householder with it. I had every sympathy with the pensioner beforehand but this just reinforces it. Scumbag deserved everything he got. And if his family and friends have money to spare to leave flowers then they can't have been that hard up, can they?

I don't think there is any indication that Henry Vincent was desperate, in poverty, starving.  I'd say that the number of people who commit burglaries because they are so poor they can't afford to eat will be infinitesimally small.  It isn't really a crime of desperation.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

There are obviously two sides to this.

Was he right in choosing to burgle someone's house? Absolutely not.

Did that choice mean he deserved to die? No, in my opinion.

As an aside, there are a scary amount of frothing right-wingers who have suddenly became an expert on police procedure and trespass laws over the past week.

He obviously didn’t deserve to die, but if someone breaks into my home when I’m there and acts in a violent manner towards me, I’m going to do anything to defend myself. If I have to resort to stabbing someone that’s their problem, not mines.

44 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Didn't realise until I read this post that the burglar was stabbed with his own screwdriver and had been threatening the householder with it. I had every sympathy with the pensioner beforehand but this just reinforces it. Scumbag deserved everything he got. And if his family and friends have money to spare to leave flowers then they can't have been that hard up, can they?

Come on now. Not exactly likely that they paid for them...

I am absolutely raging about the hypothetical person who defended the burglar. Can't believe that hypothetical person hypothetically said what they said. It's small wonder this country is going to the dogs. 

4 minutes ago, The OP said:

I am absolutely raging about the hypothetical person who defended the burglar. Can't believe that hypothetical person hypothetically said what they said. It's small wonder this country is going to the dogs. 

i won't rest until i hypothetically find him.