Shrine to Dead Burglar Removed

Everyone will have seen reports on the case of Henry Vincent, who was killed in a struggle after breaking into the home of Richard Osborn-Brooks, 78, in South London.  Vincent, who had numerous convictions for burglary and other crimes, broke into Osborn-Brooks home and after a struggle died from stab wounds inflicted by a screwdriver that he had been using to threaten the homeowner.  Osborn-Brooks was initially arrested but was released without charge following a police investigation.  Vincent's alleged accomplice is still on the run following the incident.

There's been some discussion about the legal aspects of this.  A lot of people were outraged at Osborn-Brooks arrest but I think it was probably a bit overblown - the police have to investigate unnatural deaths, especially one like Vincent's and an arrest ensures that everyone knows where they stand.  It looks as though the investigation showed that Osborn-Brooks acted within the law.

However, since the incident, friends and family of Vincent have left numerous tributes in the street, which has left people in the street outraged - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43710526.   There are some more details about the messages left here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5595693/Neighbours-furious-shrine-dead-burglar-appears-outside-pensioner-Richard-Osborn-Brooks-home.html

The relatives of Henry Vincent will obviously be grieving for him, he doesn't stop being a father, son, friend just because he committed a crime.  Putting flowers and cards up right next to the house that he died while carrying out a violent robbery is wrong though - surely an appropriate place for this is at his grave.  You see these shrines a lot nowadays - football tops, scarves, messages, close to where somebody dies aftera  fight or a car crash.  I think it's ghoulish and don't like them at all.   A few years ago a young guy died in Inverness because he fell asleep drunk in a neighbours garden and froze to death.  People left 'tributes' of bottles of Buckfast and crates of Tenants, the very stuff that got him killed in the first place!  I think this performative grief and emotion really took off following Princess Diana dying.

Have any P&Bers ever left anything at a tribute site?

Have any P&Bers ever killed anyone who was burgling their house?

Have any P&Bers ever been stabbed to death while robbing someone's house?

Killed a wasp once that came in and tried to steal some sugar. I 'strongly advised' it to exit the house before bludgeoning it to death. Has been a few years now and thankfully the whole incident seems to have blown over without a sting in the tail.

23 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Everyone will have seen reports on the case of Henry Vincent, who was killed in a struggle after breaking into the home of Richard Osborn-Brooks, 78, in South London.  Vincent, who had numerous convictions for burglary and other crimes, broke into Osborn-Brooks home and after a struggle died from stab wounds inflicted by a screwdriver that he had been using to threaten the homeowner.  Osborn-Brooks was initially arrested but was released without charge following a police investigation.  Vincent's alleged accomplice is still on the run following the incident.

There's been some discussion about the legal aspects of this.  A lot of people were outraged at Osborn-Brooks arrest but I think it was probably a bit overblown - the police have to investigate unnatural deaths, especially one like Vincent's and an arrest ensures that everyone knows where they stand.  It looks as though the investigation showed that Osborn-Brooks acted within the law.

However, since the incident, friends and family of Vincent have left numerous tributes in the street, which has left people in the street outraged - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43710526.   There are some more details about the messages left here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5595693/Neighbours-furious-shrine-dead-burglar-appears-outside-pensioner-Richard-Osborn-Brooks-home.html

The relatives of Henry Vincent will obviously be grieving for him, he doesn't stop being a father, son, friend just because he committed a crime.  Putting flowers and cards up right next to the house that he died while carrying out a violent robbery is wrong though - surely an appropriate place for this is at his grave.  You see these shrines a lot nowadays - football tops, scarves, messages, close to where somebody dies aftera  fight or a car crash.  I think it's ghoulish and don't like them at all.   A few years ago a young guy died in Inverness because he fell asleep drunk in a neighbours garden and froze to death.  People left 'tributes' of bottles of Buckfast and crates of Tenants, the very stuff that got him killed in the first place!  I think this performative grief and emotion really took off following Princess Diana dying.

Have any P&Bers ever left anything at a tribute site?

Have any P&Bers ever killed anyone who was burgling their house?

Have any P&Bers ever been stabbed to death while robbing someone's house?

I am waiting for someone to come on here and defend the burglar.

2 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

in terms of burgling an old mans house, im sure someone will find an excuse for him.

Someone will find an excuse for him burgling a house? Er, I don't think so.

4 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

there is always some nut case who will try and defend the indefensible.

Are you honestly saying that someone will think the burglar was in the right to try to burgle a house?

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

He was a lovable rogue who looked after his dear old mum.

it was when his mother contracted C-Diff , life started to spiral out of control for Henry Vincent.

he'd never even cursed until that point.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Are you honestly saying that someone will think the burglar was in the right to try to burgle a house?

i'm sure someone will, there's people laying a shrine for the guy where he tried to burgle a house, plenty of nut jobs out there. 

i know for a fact if this guy hadn't been killed and escaped with inuries only , he has enough to make it through to boot camp on X-Factor without even singing.

all he would have needed to do is tell the judges and the nation he regrets his past and wants to make his mum proud while just holding back the tears  , emotional leona lewis song in the background obviusly.

what a story this could have been

5 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

i'm sure someone will, there's people laying a shrine for the guy where he tried to burgle a house, plenty of nut jobs out there. 

There are obviously two sides to this.

Was he right in choosing to burgle someone's house? Absolutely not.

Did that choice mean he deserved to die? No, in my opinion.

As an aside, there are a scary amount of frothing right-wingers who have suddenly became an expert on police procedure and trespass laws over the past week.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

As an aside, there are a scary amount of frothing right-wingers who have suddenly became an expert on police procedure and trespass laws over the past week.

btw im not right wing by any stretch of the imagination, but people tend to make excuses for people all the time.

he did not deserve to die but his choice led to him dying, just the same way as a drink driver can kill himself or someone else, doesn't say they are terrible people, just complete morons

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

He might not have "deserved" to die but it was absolutely a consequence of his decision to commit the crime.  No sympathy at all.