Your club player of the year

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about this the other day and for me the only player who comes close is possibly Sam Stanton given his early season form and the fact that he gives everything most weeks even if his form has been patchy recently. If Fraser Fyvie did not get injured then he would have been our most important player. The rest of them can get to f**k. 

Dobbie. Easily head and shoulders above the rest. Runner up is a little trickier but I would probably say Marshall.  One of our more solid and consistent performers he usually has a decent game even when others around him are failing. I would of thought most queens fans would be glad if he stayed with us a while longer. 

I was extremely sceptical about the signing at the time but Gary Harkins has had a good season for us and has contributed more goals than the likes of Murdoch. His fitness has improved significantly as the season has gone on, which indicates just how much of an absolute rabble Ayr must have been behind the scenes last season when he looked completely finished at this level. Ricki Lamie would have been my pick earlier in the campaign due to his consistently excellent defending in 2017, but he's gone off the boil a bit in recent months. 

Jordan McGhee. Was an absolute cut above the bunch of diddies he had to play with until January and is probably one of the only ones in our squad who can be satisfied with their individual performances since the start of the season. 

Louis Longridge for me has been a good signing and was a pretty integral part of us turning our season around, but is too inconsistent to be considered. Sibbald again has shown flashes of being able to play at a higher level than Falkirk but just hasn't done it enough. The two Sunderland boys and the Jak have been good since they came in but haven't been here the whole season. Been an absolute shit show of a season and I'll be glad to see the back of it; McGhee is one of the only players (can probably count them on one hand) that I would like to see stick around for next season.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Our vote was at the weekend and I don't think I spoke to 1 person who didn't vote for Andy Dowie. So, him.

I voted for Froxy but it was a close decision between him and Dowie. Dowie has certainly been the most consistent but that wee spark of magic from our favourite Cypriot edged it.

It'd be easy to say Morgan, and in real terms, it's Morgan.

However, I'm going to go Cammy Smith as my personal favourite and the hipster's choice. Although he's a slightly different type of player to Gowser, he plays a similar role role for us (and god did we ever miss PM after he moved to Dundee). Cammy turns play round, keeps the ball, works it out of tight spaces, and links the midfield and attack. He's always looking forwards, for the runs of Flynn/Magennis/Morgan/Reilly around him. He also weighs in with more goals than Gowser did.

Also: his workrate. He was chasing a Dumbarton fullback down to force an error when we were 4-0 up the other week. 

I think he's magic. :wub:

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

However, I'm going to go Cammy Smith as my personal favourite and the hipster's choice. Although he's a slightly different type of player to Gowser, he plays a similar role role for us (and god did we ever miss PM after he moved to Dundee). Cammy turns play round, keeps the ball, works it out of tight spaces, and links the midfield and attack. He's always looking forwards, for the runs of Flynn/Magennis/Morgan/Reilly around him. He also weighs in with more goals than Gowser did.

I think he's magic.

Everyone has contributed, chipped in. Magennis, Smith, Samson. Could go on....We simply have had no passengers in our starting XI or on our bench. Even big Sutton, who clearly isn’t getting a look-in, when he comes on, he tries hard too. No sulking or hiding.... All of this, allied to Jack Ross’ leadership explains why we will be champions.

I've not been to as many games as some of the other posters on here so will defer to their opinions but Coll Donaldson has made a huge difference to our defence.  We have had 12 clean sheets this season, 11 of which have come since he began starting (the previous clean sheet was against Brechin so doesn't count).  St Mirren have 13 and Livingston have had 12, showing the comparison against the teams at the top of the league.  Nobody was really excited about the signing but he's been excellent - he's good in the air, has decent pace and uses the ball well. 

Iain Vigurs has been a really important player in the team, sitting deep and moving the ball, I think he's been underrated by our fans since we signed him but he's shown at this level that he's very talented.  It'll be interesting to see where he ends up playing next year - he will be on a Premiership contract with us.  He has terrible discipline and does make the occasional clanger - he managed to combine them in the cup at Dens by giving the ball away for a goal and being unable to take his usual 'yellow card for the team' because he had already been booked.  Overall though, he's been one of our best players.

Liam Polworth is the go-to player for our boo boys who complain about his demeanor and body language but his numbers don't lie.  He has more assists than any other Championship player and has either scored or had an assist for nearly half our goals in all competitions (21 assists and 4 goals scored out of our total of 59 for the season).  I don't think a great deal of our strikers this season and wonder what he'd have done with some decent players in front of him. 

37 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Also: his workrate. He was chasing a Dumbarton fullback down to force an error when we were 4-0 up the other week

I think he's magic. :wub:

That's easily done tbh. It's far more impressive to see a player do that when you're 4-0 down IMO. 

Lee Ashcroft is probably our most consistent player. You're guaranteed to get 100% effort out of Declan McManus every week.

Either of those two. 

17 minutes ago, smpar said:

That's easily done tbh. It's far more impressive to see a player do that when you're 4-0 down IMO. 

Not arguing with that, but continuing to put the pressure on even when we're skooshing it is what's kept us at the top of the league for most the season. It's emblematic of a winning mentality.

Archived