Cowdenbeath v Montrose

Took this game in last night, I thought Montrose were the better side and Cowden were really lacking in ideas. Great to see big Chris Templeman still playing, never been the quickest but a really effective player at this level.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, hellohellohowdoudo said:

Hope you had a calculator with you. About 200 Mo fans again last night. Outnumbered amount of Cowdenbeath fans easily.

No bad for a wet Tuesday in deepest darkest Fife

Great support. 

The game went as exactly I thought it would. Montrose physically and technically much much better than us. With dillon at the back and steeves and the number 2.. Plus Lewis really good side.

We lost the game in midfield - mullen and cox were passengers although mullen worked hard. We did show a lot of effort but the amount of defensive and general mistakes all over the pitch was a backwards step. Gilly our MOTM again which is saying something since we lost 3 goals. Sheerin had his poorest game and reilly has pace and effort and little all else.

That game shows how bang average we are if we dont have 11 players who are at the top of their game. Impressed with Montrose and hope you go on to win it. Although for selfish reasons would prefer you in the league should we remain in the league next season for an away day jaunt.

Always said a couple of injuries and suspensions we really will struggle as our bench is so poor. The game cried out for something different in middle of the pitch but we just dont have it. Players looked sluggish at times as well. The games are taking their toll since we dont change our personnel much its pretty much same old team. I know one player at the minute playing tue-sat and he is carrying an injury but he is battling on for the sake of the team.

I would drop cox down to the bench and see what he is like coming off the bench with 20-30 to go as his energy in that final period could mean we get something more out of him. Mullen defo back to right back although I dont think mcinally was too bad just positionally gets caught out way too much.

47 minutes ago, hellohellohowdoudo said:

Hope you had a calculator with you. About 200 Mo fans again last night. Outnumbered amount of Cowdenbeath fans easily.

No bad for a wet Tuesday in deepest darkest Fife

Crowd was 378 and there were 166 Montrose fans in away stand 

19 minutes ago, NELLY said:

The game went as exactly I thought it would. Montrose physically and technically much much better than us. With dillon at the back and steeves and the number 2.. Plus Lewis really good side.

We lost the game in midfield - mullen and cox were passengers although mullen worked hard. We did show a lot of effort but the amount of defensive and general mistakes all over the pitch was a backwards step. Gilly our MOTM again which is saying something since we lost 3 goals. Sheerin had his poorest game and reilly has pace and effort and little all else.

That game shows how bang average we are if we dont have 11 players who are at the top of their game. Impressed with Montrose and hope you go on to win it. Although for selfish reasons would prefer you in the league should we remain in the league next season for an away day jaunt.

Always said a couple of injuries and suspensions we really will struggle as our bench is so poor. The game cried out for something different in middle of the pitch but we just dont have it. Players looked sluggish at times as well. The games are taking their toll since we dont change our personnel much its pretty much same old team. I know one player at the minute playing tue-sat and he is carrying an injury but he is battling on for the sake of the team.

I would drop cox down to the bench and see what he is like coming off the bench with 20-30 to go as his energy in that final period could mean we get something more out of him. Mullen defo back to right back although I dont think mcinally was too bad just positionally gets caught out way too much.

I think we only have 11 players who as a team can win games when we get them all playing. Missing Miller and Malcolm and a half fit Cox was too much against a good Montrose side.

49 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Crowd was 378 and there were 166 Montrose fans in away stand 

Dissapointing turnout from our end. 

Mid week evening fixtures don't suit everyone though but still a very poor attendance. If we all decided to stop going due to our league position there would be no club 

Thankfully there is a loyal fanbase within our support as there is no time for a glass half empty attitude

A rather unsurprising score - well done to Montrose for a crucial 3 points.  Would like to see you guys win the league as I've a work colleague who is a fan and I'd quite like it if you guys stopped winning every bloody week! :lol:

For us that's it basically cemented that we are in the play offs. If Miller/Malcolm aren't fit then they need rested.  Would we rest them this week and then try and build some momentum in the final 2 matches?

Doesn't matter who Montrose play up front, the Cowden Maldini will see to them [emoji869] Gilfillan is arguably our best signing in the last two seasons even after just a handful of games.
The lad Maldini was okay last night nothing special,Pyper is piss poor

Cowden need to sort out their attacking abilities quick. With nothing up top nothing happens to their long punts and their defence are more or less constantly under pressure. Good luck to them  for the rest of this season though. We at Mo know what it's like.

3 hours ago, NELLY said:

We do have it in the middle, Swann. He is wasted in defence.

Out of interest do you have the corresponding figures for the recent Clyde game(s)?

Not to hand at home - I can recall last Saturday's game had a 406 crowd. There were over 200 Clyde fans in old stand can't recall exact amount 216 or 222 comes to mind

We do have it in the middle, Swann. He is wasted in defence.

There's more than that to it though - Harvey is at his best when running from deep with the play in front of him. Playing left midfield is a different role. Without the strength, running and work of Malcolm and Miller in midfield we struggled yesterday. Then again Mullen had been doing well at right back so that change wasn't helpful. Cox was struggling with injury but still was willing to play as has Bryan Gilfillan recently. Among the effects of all these was to leave Sheerin isolated up against two good centre backs - Montrose are a well set up and organised side.

A rather unsurprising score - well done to Montrose for a crucial 3 points.  Would like to see you guys win the league as I've a work colleague who is a fan and I'd quite like it if you guys stopped winning every bloody week! :lol:
For us that's it basically cemented that we are in the play offs. If Miller/Malcolm aren't fit then they need rested.  Would we rest them this week and then try and build some momentum in the final 2 matches?

Miller had a one game suspension

Out of curiosity ... why did some of your support choose to stand in the pissing rain on the open terrace instead of taking the sensible and dry option of the stand? Felt sorry for the poor steward who had to stand out with them!

Traditional terracing spot for those supporters

15 hours ago, PELE said:

Good luck to Montrose. Hopefully we can get Malcolm back for Saturday and go for a win against Peterhead.

Too many poor performances tonight. I didn't think McInally was that bad. Buchanan was a passenger yet again. He wooses out of challenges and stands about in a trance half the time. Cox never seems to do anything worthwhile. Mullen and Pyper never find a Cowden player, just knock it anywhere. Reilly runs his heart out, but he is like a dog with a ball. He knocks it on and waits to see what the defender is going to do with it.

Tonight showed yet again why Swann is wasted in defence. He is an attacking midfielder.

Also, we are three goals down and time running out and the play-offs looming large, so nothing to lose. What does Bollan do? Go all out attack? No. We stick with the same failed plan. Somebody please tell him that if we are losing on Saturday that he may as well put four or five upfront because we will be in the play offs if we lose. What the hell do we have to lose? Have a go for once. Take a risk.

I'd agree with that, I expected Cowden to be up for it after a good win against Clyde at the weekend, but they kind of went down with a whimper. Like you say, even from the start there is absolutely nothing to lose. Goal difference doesn't matter a jot if you don't have the points, and if I was Bollan I'd be telling my players to get stuck into the opposition and fighting for absolutely everything.

I thought we approached the game spot on, up for it from the start. The wind was a big factor in the 1st half with Cowden struggling to clear their lines and the ball coming straight back at them more often than not. Defence played really well albeit against a limited Cowden attack, midfield looked comfortable although the ball spent a lot of time in the air. Tezza was superb, at his imperious best, Milne played well as did Rennie and Big Temps. Ballantyne for me was MoM, always a threat going forward and very solid in defence. If I was SP I might have been tempted to try and get a few more goals towards the end rather than managing the game. It's probably too late to get the goal difference back to anywhere near parity but a big win last night coupled with a few goals on Saturday (coupled with a win, obviously!) might have put more pressure on Peterhead.

Anyway, brilliant to see such a big away support on a Tuesday night. #3winsforthetitle

Archived