Cowdenbeath v Montrose

Can someone please explain the following to me, as with four games left and twelve points up for grabs, I can't see how Cowdenbeath failing to win equals this? ...

Cowden's game at home to second-top Montrose goes ahead on Tuesday, with Gary Bollan's side needing a victory to avoid a second relegation play-off in succession.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Brummo said:

Can someone please explain the following to me, as with four games left and twelve points up for grabs, I can't see how Cowdenbeath failing to win equals this? ...

Cowden's game at home to second-top Montrose goes ahead on Tuesday, with Gary Bollan's side needing a victory to avoid a second relegation play-off in succession.

Even if, hopefully when, Cowdenbeath loose to Mo they could still overtake Edinburgh City and Berwick.

No denying Montrose deserved the win but by f**k we gifted you guys the 1st 2 goals and the free kick that lead to the 3rd. Superb strike from Milne.

That was dreadful from us tonight. The amount of times in the first half where we had time to take the ball down and play but opted to punt/header it upfield aimlessly was like watching us under Brown again. Even Gilfillan was guilty of it. I don't expect miracles but it just reeked of panic.

As for the referee not sending the Montrose player for a swing at Gils after the 3rd, the less said the better. He had as big a nightmare tonight as we did although not as bad a night as McInally - he got absolutely roasted at right back. He really isn't a good football player. Cox wasn't far behind him.

I really hope Montrose go on to win the league. A fellow diddy team that haven't had much to cheer about in far too long, with a very competent side at this level and don't have Willie Gibson in their side - I'm rooting for you guys.

44 minutes ago, CowdenLoyal said:

No denying Montrose deserved the win but by f**k we gifted you guys the 1st 2 goals and the free kick that lead to the 3rd. Superb strike from Milne.

That was dreadful from us tonight. The amount of times in the first half where we had time to take the ball down and play but opted to punt/header it upfield aimlessly was like watching us under Brown again. Even Gilfillan was guilty of it. I don't expect miracles but it just reeked of panic.

As for the referee not sending the Montrose player for a swing at Gils after the 3rd, the less said the better. He had as big a nightmare tonight as we did although not as bad a night as McInally - he got absolutely roasted at right back. He really isn't a good football player. Cox wasn't far behind him.

I really hope Montrose go on to win the league. A fellow diddy team that haven't had much to cheer about in far too long, with a very competent side at this level and don't have Willie Gibson in their side - I'm rooting for you guys.

I wouldn't begrudge Montrose the title as you say their fans deserve some success, 22 years they have been stuck in this division.

Stewart Petrie has done a fantastic job at Links Park he hasn't got a team of "superstars" but a team who really graft for him and probably on a fraction of the wages other sides in this division will be paying out.

The last month or so we have done well when we have had a settled side losing both Kyle and Blair from the midfield was a massive loss for us tonight as correctly predicted by @NELLY on here earlier today.

It has really been about getting a settled side for any play offs and to this purpose the last month has seen us do that, Kyle will be free from suspension on Saturday and hopefully Blair will be back soon as well.

Good luck to Montrose. Hopefully we can get Malcolm back for Saturday and go for a win against Peterhead.

Too many poor performances tonight. I didn't think McInally was that bad. Buchanan was a passenger yet again. He wooses out of challenges and stands about in a trance half the time. Cox never seems to do anything worthwhile. Mullen and Pyper never find a Cowden player, just knock it anywhere. Reilly runs his heart out, but he is like a dog with a ball. He knocks it on and waits to see what the defender is going to do with it.

Tonight showed yet again why Swann is wasted in defence. He is an attacking midfielder.

Also, we are three goals down and time running out and the play-offs looming large, so nothing to lose. What does Bollan do? Go all out attack? No. We stick with the same failed plan. Somebody please tell him that if we are losing on Saturday that he may as well put four or five upfront because we will be in the play offs if we lose. What the hell do we have to lose? Have a go for once. Take a risk.

5 minutes ago, PELE said:

Good luck to Montrose. Hopefully we can get Malcolm back for Saturday and go for a win against Peterhead.

Too many poor performances tonight. I didn't think McInally was that bad. Buchanan was a passenger yet again. He wooses out of challenges and stands about in a trance half the time. Cox never seems to do anything worthwhile. Mullen and Pyper never find a Cowden player, just knock it anywhere. Reilly runs his heart out, but he is like a dog with a ball. He knocks it on and waits to see what the defender is going to do with it.

Tonight showed yet again why Swann is wasted in defence. He is an attacking midfielder.

Also, we are three goals down and time running out and the play-offs looming large, so nothing to lose. What does Bollan do? Go all out attack? No. We stick with the same failed plan. Somebody please tell him that if we are losing on Saturday that he may as well put four or five upfront because we will be in the play offs if we lose. What the hell do we have to lose? Have a go for once. Take a risk.

We were beat but you wouldn't have wanted to lose anymore goals in case goal difference came into play at the end of the season. Different story on Saturday though as its officially the last chance saloon.

Milne has been the missing piece of the jigsaw for Montrose. Sound in defence,competitive in midfield but a bit o n e dimensional going forward,with Milne they now  have an alternative. It's hard to believe that For far simply let him go. Our wounds were self-inflicted but ruthlessly punished. The midfield looked woefully lightweight Really hope Mo go on to win the title especially as I have a bet on at ten to one! Last chance saloon on. Saturday.Felt  sorry for the chairman after the game,he looked totally gutted. We're not down yet.

19 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

We were beat but you wouldn't have wanted to lose anymore goals in case goal difference came into play at the end of the season. Different story on Saturday though as its officially the last chance saloon.

When are we going to gamble? Wait until the last few minutes of the game that condemns us to the play offs? We should have been gambling the minute we went 1-0 down tonight. It was all so predictable and we do nothing to change it. We had a throw in later in the game when the play was in our half and every Montrose player was in our half. When it was the other way round, half our team was still in our own half!

The last two games are very winnable, but it will probably be a measly few points short. We should be taking more risks. I would rather we failed trying something different, than just plodding on doing the same thing.

On a lighter note. My son has just played this season on Football Manager 2018 and it was Berwick in the play offs. They lost 3-0 to East Kilbride in the first leg and beat them 4-0 in the second leg.

Another solid performance from the Mo tonight. With Cammy, Matty and Bolo all in harness the defence is back to the same watertight levels of earlier in the year. Special mention to Sean Dillon who has got better and better as the season has gone on. It’s looking like the capture of Milne and Rennie at Xmas has turned into a master stroke by SP. 3 in 3 for Martin and 7 in 3 for Lewis is unbelievable .... but as a very long term Mo supporter a source of much joy. I genuinely hope Cowdenbeath manage to stay up. From what I’ve seen of them (all the games against us this year) they’re not the worst team in the league ( I know the stats say different) .. just have no threat up front. Had they managed to convert half of their draws into wins they’d be comfortable by now. On to Berwick at home on Sat and hopefully we’ll make it 4 wins in a row.

Happy as a pig in shit with that performance last night every one of they mo players were up for it.
Could have been a different game if cowden scored with the chance they had early first half,poor marking and a free header just wide of the post.
As the game went on we started to play alot better and deservedly took the lead through a well worked goal for Lewis Milne....what a few weeks he has had.The all important goal early in the second half through Martin Rennie who put in another great shift eased the pressure of us big time.Cowdenbeath huffed and puffed but our defence stood strong the three centre back's were superb yet again .Lewis Milne free kick was a peach....Good to see his pal Greig Spence got It recorded was a pleasure watching it again this morning.All in all superb night and support from Montrose.

Archived