Martin Canning's Hamilton FC vs Sir Steve Clarke's Kilmarnock FC

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said a couple of weeks ago when we beat Hamilton that they always make a game stuffy - I thought the poor fare on display in the first half today was as much our doing as it was theirs.

The enforced changes (with Simpson replacing Player of the Month SOD, Fasan coming in for the consistently excellent Macdonald, and Kiltie coming in for Erwin) along with Power being dropped for McKenzie (only for them to be swapped in a substitution early in the game) probably meant we didn't have 11 men on the park knowing their roles as well as we have in recent times.

Simpson took a whole half to grow in to the game. I felt sorry for him. He looked nervous, he was getting bullied about, won nothing in the air, and runs he tried to go on were getting halted. Thought it was made worse by the fact Kiltie down the same side didn't get in to the game too quickly either.

In the first 10 or 15 minutes, we just didn't get the ball down enough to pass it about. Once we did that, we started to control possession. Not much in the way of chances though, and our front three didn't look nearly as in sync as they have in recent games. I had predicted us to win by a few, but early in the game I started to have a bad feeling. It just seemed like the type of performance that might end a winning run - the team not at their best, not clicking, not making chances. Coupled with the poor finish to the first half that saw Crawford and Mackinnon linking up for that thump off the bar, and Fasan called upon for two great saves (the second in particular was excellent), it really felt like we wouldn't make it six wins in a row. I could feel the Killie pessimism of old creeping in!

I've said all along that one of Steve Clarke's greatest strengths is his ability to improve things at half time. We started the second half looking a bit livelier and playing a brand of football that was far more recognisable. Mulumbu, Dicker and Power started winning more, getting passing triangles going, and we were having joy down the wings through Kiltie linking with Simpson, and through Jones.

We started to threaten the goal and sure enough, Jones won a free kick and whipped it for a cracking header from big Broadfoot. A player I always detested at Rangers, who I've heard various stories about him being a bit of a knob off the pitch, but by god I love the big guy now. MOTM performance again for me, and took his goal well.

It was a worry to see Templeton coming off the bench. Think Hamilton fans are roundly agreed he's their best player. His free kick was one of his very first touches of the game and after it hit the post, it seemed to take Fasan by surprise when it hit off him - from where we were, it almost looked like he jumped away in fright!

Couldn't shake that horrible feeling that it wasn't to be our day. Then Simpson, who I'd probably have advocated subbing at half-time if there had been an alternative right back available, rounds off a lovely bit of passing with a perfectly weighted through ball for Boydie. As my pal commented at the game, with the season he's having it was never in doubt from that moment.

This whole thing still feels like a dream. Don't know that I'll ever get used to seeing 2,500 Killie fans piling in to a stadium to outnumber the home support and cheer us to a SIXTH league win in a row. Mental scenes.

Right up for Aberdeen now. A win next week and we're four points off third, with Hibs at Easter Road to follow. Bring it on!

This whole thing still feels like a dream. Don't know that I'll ever get used to seeing 2,500 Killie fans piling in to a stadium to outnumber the home support and cheer us to a SIXTH league win in a row.

Don’t need to get used to it, Won’t last long once Clarke fucks off for the **** in the summer.

Not going to say anything that won't have been said and certainly nothing that Killie fans won't know but the job Steve Clarke is doing is outstanding. A proper manager.

What impresses me most is the way he's taken a group of players who were bottom of the league and hated playing at home and improved virtually every single one of them, as well as the team as a whole. He's quickly assessed the squad and found a system to suit them. Ambitious and clever recruitment as well.

Our league is fortunate to have him and it'll be really interesting to see what he can do next season.

20 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Don’t need to get used to it, Won’t last long once Clarke fucks off for the **** in the summer.

That really isn't going to happen. Have fun in the Championship with your lego chewer manager and selection of simpleton players.

3 hours ago, Im_Rodger said:

Disgusting performance however it isn't over.

Today was a bonus match for us.

We lost it.

Now I'm making this call right now but we are STAYING A LADBROKES PREMIERSHIP SIDE FOR 2018/2019.

34 - #LambieDerby (Partick Thistle) Easily a winnable game as Partick are the worst side I have seen this season.

35 - Ross County I'd say this will be the most difficult game the Split dishes to us. However as we have proven, we can also win this.

36 - Dundee Routine win against the shite TV pundit.

37 - St Johnstone Possibly on holiday at this point and an easy game to capitalise on. Split was very kind to us. 

38 - Motherwell Will be preparing for the Scottish Cup final, very likely to be a reserve side playing this one.

No need for the shouts of doom. If we do not stay up I would be amazed. 

Bookmarked, cunto.

Just now, Scotty Tunbridge said:

You really think he's going to be seduced by wall eyed, tax dodging dave and jabba the **** sordid media manipulation? You're better than that.

That really isn't going to happen. Have fun in the Championship with your lego chewer manager and selection of simpleton players.

Its pretty simple facts tbh. The upturn in results from Clarke has led to an increase in your support through fair weather fans and Ayrshire Rangers fans choosing to go to Rugby Park.

Clarke is likely to be wanted by a lot of clubs because of how well he’s did. When he leaves results will suffer and the fair weather fans will be gone.

Fair play to the likes of yourself following Killie through thick and thin though. Enjoy this season while it lasts.

Be nice if both happened imho.

Archived