Hampden Park before it went all seater

Cel123

At it's biggest the capacity was calculated to be 183,388!

When the North Stand was demolished and the terraces concreted in the 80s it reduced to 74,000. IIRC the old South Stand had 9000 seats.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

At it's biggest the capacity was calculated to be 183,388!

When the North Stand was demolished and the terraces concreted in the 80s it reduced to 74,000. IIRC the old South Stand had 9000 seats.

Thanks for the info

You could break it down a bit by section.

The East terracing it's claimed held 60,000, the North Enclosure 40,000, the West Terrace 35,000 and the South Enclosure in front of the main stand 5000.

And oh 5000 in the smaller North Stand.

It was claimed on here the biggest crowd at Hampden was not a football match but an event organised by the Boys Brigade. It's reckoned over 200,000 turned up. Obviously the pitch was used for spectators.

2 hours ago, Glenconner said:

The East terracing it's claimed held 60,000, the North Enclosure 40,000, the West Terrace 35,000 and the South Enclosure in front of the main stand 5000.

Didn't realise the East had so much more capacity than the West!

2 hours ago, Glenconner said:

It was claimed on here the biggest crowd at Hampden was not a football match but an event organised by the Boys Brigade. It's reckoned over 200,000 turned up. Obviously the pitch was used for spectators.

And being boys they wouldn't take up as much room as adults...

I don't have them to hand but  'Roar of the Crowd' by David Ross or an old SFH which has Hampden capacity statistics from Forrest Robertson are out there. Mine's are in boxes but I can look them out over the next few days unless HJ can lay his hands on his earlier.

On 4/8/2018 at 19:29, Glenconner said:

Heard that before but the report in the Herald at the time said 100,000 with thousands more outside. The 200,000 figure  comes from  a recent Evening Times article whose only source seems to be the Seville Calculator.

On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 19:29, HibeeJibee said:

IMG_3590.jpg    <--- "Shelf" = ~5,000.

That is a shelf and a half right enough!

I remember it being demolished  (same time as the North Stand?) There was a live game on and the tv studio was on scaffolding at the back of "the shelf". The pundits were joking that that they'd better not hang about inside too long after the game.

I suppose the capacity of the West Terrace would have been further reduced when the roof was put over it too.

6 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Playing field at Lourdes Academy.

Cheers :) 

So that's 4 football parks in the photo including Lesser Hampden.  Had a google and it appears to be from 1937, presumably of either of the record busting crowds that year: Scotland v England 149000, Celtic v Aberdeen 146000.

Just now, Lurkst said:

Cheers :) 

So that's 4 football parks in the photo including Lesser Hampden.  Had a google and it appears to be from 1937, presumably of either of the record busting crowds that year: Scotland v England 149000, Celtic v Aberdeen 146000.

Talking pish, it's Holyrood Academy.

Obviously no problems with the car parking facilities back then, plenty spaces at the ground there!!!

15 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Had a google and it appears to be from 1937, presumably of either of the record busting crowds that year: Scotland v England 149000, Celtic v Aberdeen 146000.

Zooming into the car park makes me think it's from later than 1937 though?...

Archived