Morton v Dumbarton - Tuesday night

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Swap for Stevie Aitken?

Given how the Thomson signing has worked out I think we'll be taking our custom elsewhere tbh. Duffy and Aitken vying to outdo each other in the 'look at me doing so pluckily well with limited resources' stakes will probably be the closest thing to a spectacle on offer on Tuesday night. 

A mere 3/10 on the shame game rating as I suspect we'll slither to a narrow win. 

11 hours ago, optimistic said:

Wouldn’t mind bursting the hoodoo that Morton have over us. 

lol wut

I believe your match programme pointed out before the last game that Dumbarton have lost more games to Morton than any other league club; Fitbastats has it as 95 wins for The Famous v 42 for you in all competitions.

So it's only a 'hoodoo' in the sense of us simply being consistently better than you for about 110 years now.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Given how the Thomson signing has worked out I think we'll be taking our custom elsewhere tbh. Duffy and Aitken vying to outdo each other in the 'look at me doing so pluckily well with limited resources' stakes will probably be the closest thing to a spectacle on offer on Tuesday night. 

A mere 3/10 on the shame game rating as I suspect we'll slither to a narrow win. 

Berba needs a run of games to be effective. I was fed up with him when we were pumped 5-1 by Dunfermline last year, only for him to suddenly become a totally different player between then and the end of the season.

He's frustrating as hell when things aren't working for him though. Are you guys using him out wide or up top (or knowing Jim Duffy, in CM)?

He's been wide in a 4-3-3 recently and has been garbage - although pretty much every player looks that way in that system. I think he's possibly struggled with the transition to full-time training and also got injured at an unfortunate time in the season: he simply hasn't got going since.

Plenty of rumours that he'll be going back to part-time football as soon as next season, which makes sense given he's studying for a degree as well. 

15 hours ago, GiGi said:

Don't care; not going. Duffy was happy to end our season in February as usual. Not sure I can stomach any more until he's replaced by a manager with more ambition.

The managers ambition is virtually irrelevant whilst the current owners are in charge. They clearly don't have the stomach for a serious challenge and the manager simply has to keep them happy. The board have run out of steam and badly need replacing.  It's not surprising that the apathy is being passed onto diehard fans like yourself.  I can barely be bothered with home games these days. The club is dying on its arse and needs new direction.  Literally. 

9 hours ago, virginton said:

He's been wide in a 4-3-3 recently and has been garbage - although pretty much every player looks that way in that system. I think he's possibly struggled with the transition to full-time training and also got injured at an unfortunate time in the season: he simply hasn't got going since.

Plenty of rumours that he'll be going back to part-time football as soon as next season, which makes sense given he's studying for a degree as well. 

That doesn't sound too different to where he played for us, though if the players aren't comfortable then I guess it adds up.

I'm not surprised it's taken him time to adapt. He played near enough every minute of every game for us, and finished the season really well, but between about September and January he looked miles out of his depth. He seems to be the sort of player who needs a lot of gametime to settle into a side - and if he's out with injury you might as well just write off the season.

Shame it hasn't worked out, but I'd take him back in a second. He's a far better option than anyone we've got.

The managers ambition is virtually irrelevant whilst the current owners are in charge. They clearly don't have the stomach for a serious challenge and the manager simply has to keep them happy. The board have run out of steam and badly need replacing.  It's not surprising that the apathy is being passed onto diehard fans like yourself.  I can barely be bothered with home games these days. The club is dying on its arse and needs new direction.  Literally. 

The board are not picking the team out of a tombola.

The board did not ditch a winning formula for absolutely no reason.

The board did not field a weakened team in our biggest league game of the season.

The board are not insistent on continually returning to an abysmal 433.

The board are not the ones who don't know our best lineup with the season almost over.

The board are not the ones who go from not making any subs (because he has arsed it up so badly already that there's no point) to making subs that actually weaken our situation (even throwing away winning positions with minutes to go).

The board have not left us with no competition for our only right back who has been under-performing (or just incapable at this level) for at least 18 months now.

The board are not setting up the team to counter the formidable challenges posed by the likes of Brechin rather than playing to our strengths.

The board are not continually talking up the opposition and continually claiming we played well and were unlucky when we were not.

The board were not the ones who thought that the great white hope was John fucking Baird.

The board do not insist on giving game time to the same John fucking Baird.

The board did hand Duffy a new contract after failing to win a single game in the final third of the season before proceeding to be spectators rather than competitors in the playoffs so deserve all the flak that continues to come their way but that doesn't take away from the fact that Duffy is a moron and needs to do one.

The board have run their course (years ago) and should be replaced, but why does it always have to turn into a manager vs board debate every time a manager is flatlining.

The 2 issues are not mutually exclusive. The board issue is ongoing. The Duffy issue is the here and now.

The board have backed him this window. He has signed 5 players. The best of which he has inexplicably dropped to the bench.

He is making am absolute arse of it. Again. He is good at turning things around from the brink of a hounding as he has done on many occassions. But the only way for him to turn it around now is to inexplicably still manage to get into the playoffs and to win them.

Even then, i'd probably still he looking to thank him for his efforts and wish him well.

Quite looking forward to this now after winning on Saturday. I still don’t expect much but I’m hopeful we can put on a decent showing. I would like to see us stick with the 4-1-4-1 formation that we switched to at the weekend as it allowed a bit more attacking support.

S Gallagher
Div*, Dowie, Barr*, Boomer
Carsy*
Burt, Wilson, Froxy*, Stirling
C Gallagher

* If fit

I doubt Aitken will play with 2 wingers that attacking but hoping for something similar. Wilson deserves to keep his place imo. Walsh still looks a bit short of full match fitness. I reckon he’ll be on the bench. Kyle Hutton has played a massive amount of football recently and could probably do with a rest if Carsy is fit.

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

The board are not picking the team out of a tombola.

The board did not ditch a winning formula for absolutely no reason.

The board did not field a weakened team in our biggest league game of the season.

The board are not insistent on continually returning to an abysmal 433.

The board are not the ones who don't know our best lineup with the season almost over.

The board are not the ones who go from not making any subs (because he has arsed it up so badly already that there's no point) to making subs that actually weaken our situation (even throwing away winning positions with minutes to go).

The board have not left us with no competition for our only right back who has been under-performing (or just incapable at this level) for at least 18 months now.

The board are not setting up the team to counter the formidable challenges posed by the likes of Brechin rather than playing to our strengths.

The board are not continually talking up the opposition and continually claiming we played well and were unlucky when we were not.

The board were not the ones who thought that the great white hope was John fucking Baird.

The board do not insist on giving game time to the same John fucking Baird.

The board did hand Duffy a new contract after failing to win a single game in the final third of the season before proceeding to be spectators rather than competitors in the playoffs so deserve all the flak that continues to come their way but that doesn't take away from the fact that Duffy is a moron and needs to do one.

The board have run their course (years ago) and should be replaced, but why does it always have to turn into a manager vs board debate every time a manager is flatlining.

The 2 issues are not mutually exclusive. The board issue is ongoing. The Duffy issue is the here and now.

The board have backed him this window. He has signed 5 players. The best of which he has inexplicably dropped to the bench.

He is making am absolute arse of it. Again. He is good at turning things around from the brink of a hounding as he has done on many occassions. But the only way for him to turn it around now is to inexplicably still manage to get into the playoffs and to win them.

Even then, i'd probably still he looking to thank him for his efforts and wish him well.

The Board appointed Duffy. The Board chose to appoint a vastly experienced accountant and set the club on a sustainability course and budget. The Board then offered Duffy a contract extension probably in the knowledge that  better and more ambitious candidates would not want the post on sustainability terms. The Board are responsible for managing the manager. We know from the vastly experienced accountant that the new turnstiles were installed to enable monthly management accounts to be prepared to facilitate the monitoring of financial performance. At the very least one would expect such a forward thinking  Board and CEO to review the manager’s and team performance at least monthly. The simple fact is that the club is being run by processes and a financial model not on the basis of the football product or results.

By the way what  evidence do you have that the board backed Duffy in the transfer window,?  We know who we ended up with but who is to say if Duffy had other preferred candidates that the board  effectively vetoed on financial grounds.

The writing was on the wall for this season after the QP and first Livingston results when we put out Strapp and Iredale on loan after signing them as squad players.  An ambitious Board would have punted Duffy then. 

9 minutes ago, Branch Ton said:

We know from the vastly experienced accountant that the new turnstiles were installed to enable monthly management accounts to be prepared to facilitate the monitoring of financial performance. 

Corporate/business speak thread for this complete waffle.

The Board appointed Duffy. The Board chose to appoint a vastly experienced accountant and set the club on a sustainability course and budget. The Board then offered Duffy a contract extension probably in the knowledge that  better and more ambitious candidates would not want the post on sustainability terms. The Board are responsible for managing the manager. We know from the vastly experienced accountant that the new turnstiles were installed to enable monthly management accounts to be prepared to facilitate the monitoring of financial performance. At the very least one would expect such a forward thinking  Board and CEO to review the manager’s and team performance at least monthly. The simple fact is that the club is being run by processes and a financial model not on the basis of the football product or results.
By the way what  evidence do you have that the board backed Duffy in the transfer window,?  We know who we ended up with but who is to say if Duffy had other preferred candidates that the board  effectively vetoed on financial grounds.
The writing was on the wall for this season after the QP and first Livingston results when we put out Strapp and Iredale on loan after signing them as squad players.  An ambitious Board would have punted Duffy then. 

Yet another one who seems incapable of separating the 'Duffy is failing'' and 'the board are failing' into 2 separate conversations.

Nobody is backing the board. An exit strategy should be sought. But we shouldn't have to wait until a long term future change of ownership to address the fact that our manager is flatlining.

The conversation here started about Duffy's time being up though. You did nothing to address that, and merely offered deflection therefore your post gets filed under irrelevant.

Sustainability or not. We have a squad that is capable of challenging. Better than last season. We strengthened it considerably since January. Far more than last season.

Said squad, is being mismanaged by a moron who should be binned immediately.

Yeah... good luck with separating the board from their list of managerial appointments and the years of correlating under achievement over the years. The board are inextricably linked to Duffy. Two years... remember  ?

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Yet another one who seems incapable of separating the 'Duffy is failing'' and 'the board are failing' into 2 separate conversations.

Nobody is backing the board. An exit strategy should be sought. But we shouldn't have to wait until a long term future change of ownership to address the fact that our manager is flatlining.

The conversation here started about Duffy's time being up though. You did nothing to address that, and merely offered deflection therefore your post gets filed under irrelevant.

Sustainability or not. We have a squad that is capable of challenging. Better than last season. We strengthened it considerably since January. Far more than last season.

Said squad, is being mismanaged by a moron who should be binned immediately.

You really don’t seem to get this sustainability malarkey do you and by bringing all of the focus on Duffy you are simply tacitly acknowledging that our budget and squad building capacity are fine. Duffy and his tactical  incompetence is a symptom of where we are, not the main  cause.

You must also be in LaLa land if you think this ragbag of a paper thin squad with no strikers worthy of the name,  piss poor full backs, little drive in midfield to move the ball forward quickly and with penetration, is capable of challenging for anything  

Archived