Morton v Dumbarton - Tuesday night

Yeah... good luck with separating the board from their list of managerial appointments and the years of correlating under achievement over the years. The board are inextricably linked to Duffy. Two years... remember  ?

But yet, nobody said they aren't, did they? They said there are 2 separate questions. It's a very simple concept that some find very hard to grasp. There are two questions:

Should Duffy go?

Should the board go?

The board appointed Duffy. The board extended his contract, and that will be added to the reasons given when discussing question 2 (where the only real answer is that yes, they should, their tenure has been a failure).

The conversation here is discussing question 1 though (where the real answer is that yes, he should, because he is a buffoon).

Duffy doesn't get a free pass on question 1 because the board appointed him and inexplicably extended his contract. His clowncar management doesn't get overlooked because he didn't give himself the job. He doesn't get to keep the job until such a time as there is a new board.

Some fans just seem incapable of answering question 1 without deflecting to the board, and only rear their board gripes during such times as the manager is under pressure.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You really don’t seem to get this sustainability malarkey do you and by bringing all of the focus on Duffy you are simply tacitly acknowledging that our budget and squad building capacity are fine. Duffy and his tactical  incompetence is a symptom of where we are, not the main  cause.
You must also be in LaLa land if you think this ragbag of a paper thin squad with no strikers worthy of the name,  piss poor full backs, little drive in midfield to move the ball forward quickly and with penetration, is capable of challenging for anything  

A squad of 21 first team players (not counting the development squad ringers) is not paper thin nor threadbare.

It is perfectly adequate. Your list of issues - no strikers, piss poor full backs, little drive in midfield are Duffy issues and Duffy alone.

His recruitment, squad management, tactics and game management are the only reasons that this squad is looking like missing out on the playoffs, nothing else.

In pre-season games everyone could see we lacked width.

After the 1st quarter when Duffy said he accesses the squad we lacked width.

Why did it until the January transfer window to bring someone in that we had been crying out for since before the league campaign started?  

Had Frank Ross been brought in at the start of the season we would be sitting in the playoff spot right now!

Not sorting that out was Duffy's biggest failing this season and may have cost us a playoff place.

In pre-season games everyone could see we lacked width.
After the 1st quarter when Duffy said he accesses the squad we lacked width.
Why did it until the January transfer window to bring someone in that we had been crying out for since before the league campaign started?  
Had Frank Ross been brought in at the start of the season we would be sitting in the playoff spot right now!
Not sorting that out was Duffy's biggest failing this season and may have cost us a playoff place.

And when he finally did sort it, we went on a winning run.

He then bins it, benches him, and we flatline

For the love of god Jim, play your best bloody 11. Everyone can see what that is. Everyone but you that is. Keep the ball on the deck. Use the guys in the middle of the park that can actually play football. 

Gaston

Doyle (shudder) - O'Ware - Lamie - Iredale

Tidser - Harkins - Murdoch - Ross

Tiffoney

Oliver

For the love of god Jim, play your best bloody 11. Everyone can see what that is. Everyone but you that is. Keep the ball on the deck. Use the guys in the middle of the park that can actually play football. 

Gaston

Tiffoney

Oliver

Playing 10men against us would instantly help us. Thanks

9 hours ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Gaston

Tiffoney

Oliver

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Playing 10men against us would instantly help us. Thanks

I count 11?  Or am I being whooshed?

Surprised to see Morton fans unhappy with Duffy. From the outside looking in I’d say 5th in the Championship would be a decent season for Morton. Exactly where they should be. Albeit there’s every chance they’ll leapfrog a woeful United between now and the season end.  Nothing lost yet and I’d fancy Morton to sneak 4th before losing out in the play-offs.

Hopefully Dumbarton can put in another strong performance tonight but two games a week will be taking its toll. I’d freshen things up with Burt in for Handling and Stewart starting instead of Gallagher.

A win would be great but I’m resigned to a playoff spot regardless so avoiding defeat and scoring a goal or two wto keep the confidence growing would do me fine.

Last time I remember us playing at Cappielow in a midweek game we could've relegated Morton, but bottled it and got torn to shreds by Rowan Vine and Barrie McKay.

Whatever the outcome tonight it won't be anywhere near as bad as being pumped by that truly awful side :lol:

We're not where we should be, and I'd say it's been fairly well documented on this thread alone where the many problems are with Duffy this season. We're capable of being higher and therefore we should be higher. Our manager has stopped that happening, and therefore, 5th wouldn't be acceptable.

If Falkirk or Inverness were in the play offs and Dundee United weren't absolute horseshit then yeah, 5th place would in itself be a reasonable finish this season: we don't have a top 4 budget after all. But all three of those sides have utterly imploded at various points in the season, the onus is then on a midtable team to step up to the mark.

Duffy had a 4th place finish to build on from last season, the structure of a good and young squad kept together, and a modest increase in the budget in the summer. He also had a commanding position in the table after beating Inverness just six weeks ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43094533

Failure to finish in the play offs under those circumstances is absolutely a failure that should lead to a manager being emptied. 

6 hours ago, Jordo1872 said:

Surprised to see Morton fans unhappy with Duffy. From the outside looking in I’d say 5th in the Championship would be a decent season for Morton. Exactly where they should be. Albeit there’s every chance they’ll leapfrog a woeful United between now and the season end.  Nothing lost yet and I’d fancy Morton to sneak 4th before losing out in the play-offs.

Last season we finished 4th and were pretty much out of the play-offs by the end of the first game.

Finishing 5th or lower this season, in a much weaker league, would be a failure.

Last season we finished 4th and were pretty much out of the play-offs by the end of the first game.
Finishing 5th or lower this season, in a much weaker league, would be a failure.
Do fans and the board have different expectations?

It looks from the outside that your doing okay, not as well as last campaign but still in with a shout of the play offs.

30 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

If we are without Walsh, Boomer and C Gall this could be an absolute thumping... :(

McLaughlin will be a miss, we know that. Gallagher and Walsh might be a miss depending on what version of each turns up. Froxylias didn't play a minute on Saturday, I expect so that we could get close to 90 from him tonight. I'd hope Burt is fit enough to start too, he was again bright when he came on. The fear is we need to play Nisbet up front, I'm just praying to f**k that Stewart is able to start.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

If Falkirk or Inverness were in the play offs and Dundee United weren't absolute horseshit then yeah, 5th place would in itself be a reasonable finish this season: we don't have a top 4 budget after all. But all three of those sides have utterly imploded at various points in the season, the onus is then on a midtable team to step up to the mark.

Duffy had a 4th place finish to build on from last season, the structure of a good and young squad kept together, and a modest increase in the budget in the summer. He also had a commanding position in the table after beating Inverness just six weeks ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43094533

Failure to finish in the play offs under those circumstances is absolutely a failure that should lead to a manager being emptied. 

Good effort from us to go from five behind Morton to five ahead in less than a quarter of the season.

Archived