Complete SPFL Prize Money List

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Always the Sons said:

Thanks for sharing. What was the source? Do you believe it’s quite accurate ?

23 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I normally include source, but it was ripped from the Record. There are other sites reporting it, so I've perhaps stupidly assumed the Record got it right!

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/record-prize-money-for-spfl-clubs/

1 hour ago, Shodwall cat said:

Surely the standard cant get any worse next season? United must get their act together eventually, the team that comes down cant be as bad as ict and we should be a different prospect altogether. I reckon next season will be a lot tougher.

Really don't buy this 'worst league ever' stuff.

Saints have strolled it because I think they're actually pretty good.

Agreed. However, I suspect a lot feel that way as the last few seasons the league was ‘blessed’ with top six standard SPFL clubs. Dundee U no longer live up to that so it’s felt a lot more like a typical Championship league season without any really big, high attendance, thrilling matches.
As a Falkirk supporter it’s been a really flat season on the whole, so it’s really not felt like the quality of prior seasons.

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

I'd say it's the worst quality wise since Dunfermline last won it in 2011? Pretty poor standard this year. 

5 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I'd say it's the worst quality wise since Dunfermline last won it in 2011? Pretty poor standard this year. 

I think next season will be worse. At least for this one there has been St.Mirren, a few levels above everyone else dragging the average up. Next season with all the left behind dross being joined by someone like Thistle or Ross County it's going to be a stinker. I suppose Dundee United might get their act together, but how long have people been saying that?

Can actually see Ayr and Raith doing pretty well next season.

42 minutes ago, GAD said:

I think next season will be worse. At least for this one there has been St.Mirren, a few levels above everyone else dragging the average up. Next season with all the left behind dross being joined by someone like Thistle or Ross County it's going to be a stinker. I suppose Dundee United might get their act together, but how long have people been saying that?

Can actually see Ayr and Raith doing pretty well next season.

Impossible to say how good the title winners will be next season, however it's pretty safe to say that Ayr will be better than Brechin and the playoff winners should be better than Dumbarton have been the second half of this season. Falkirk and Inverness  will be very disappointed if they are as poor again next season, as a whole the standard should go up. 

The standard of the title winners? Who knows, St Mirren haven't set a dreadfully high bar. 

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Impossible to say how good the title winners will be next season, however it's pretty safe to say that Ayr will be better than Brechin and the playoff winners should be better than Dumbarton have been the second half of this season. Falkirk and Inverness  will be very disappointed if they are as poor again next season, as a whole the standard should go up. 

The standard of the title winners? Who knows, St Mirren haven't set a dreadfully high bar. 

I think we have set a pretty high bar to be honest. We are absolutely streets ahead of everyone else, as shown by the way we have strolled to the title. Let's be honest, the team of the season this year would be 10 saints players and Dobbie. In fact, most of our bench would walk into the starting XI of teams like Dunfermline, Falkirk and ICT.

11 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Can’t really take issue with that.

Genuinely believe we need to introduce a fairer system than a league table to determine the best side over the course of a campaign because more often than not it’s not a fair reflection on the quality of the sides.  This season being the perfect example. 

16 minutes ago, Jimmy85 said:

Can’t really take issue with that.

Genuinely believe we need to introduce a fairer system than a league table to determine the best side over the course of a campaign because more often than not it’s not a fair reflection on the quality of the sides.  This season being the perfect example. 

Sarcasm I trust.

St mirren are nowhere near the standard of the last three league winners. In fact 2 seasons ago they'd have probably come 4th behind rangers us and hibs. Their the best side by far this season and have timed it perfectly to pick having a decent side the one season out of the 4 where they wouldve been good enough to win the league.  Compare that to us who've come second twice and then imploded.

it's pretty safe to say that Ayr will be better than Brechin and the playoff winners should be better than Dumbarton have been the second half of this season.

Not really. You will be looking at ourselves, Alloa, Arbroath or Raith.

With Raith being full time you would expect them to be better but given the way they went down like a led balloon last year there's no guarantee. Alloa or Arbroath are a lottery, they could end up being far worse, potentially slightly better. Obviously if it's ourselves then we could produce a similar standard as the 2nd half of this season.

FWIW I'm not remotely convinced we have a chance unless we get our best players fit and start scoring before the playoffs. Although we did comfortably beat Raith in the cup earlier this season.

Just for reference it's been 202 days since Dunfermline last beat us. I only mention that, not for my benefit, but to highlight the level of pain their fans are going through and not to judge their pettiness too harshly.

Spoiler

Also this..

B5BSVqH.png

Anyway, back on topic..

Setting aside the annoyance at bodies such as the SPL and SPFL not getting true value out of Scottish football, and that obviously links directly into the prize money, but it's a strange thing. You look at the difference between 8th and 9th in this league which is £12k. That isn't a lot, yet in 9th you get embroiled in a playoff and sure you might put your club at risk of going down but I'd expect you to make more than £12k out of the playoff games outwith any television coverage there may be.

13 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

St mirren are nowhere near the standard of the last three league winners. In fact 2 seasons ago they'd have probably come 4th behind rangers us and hibs. Their the best side by far this season and have timed it perfectly to pick having a decent side the one season out of the 4 where they wouldve been good enough to win the league.  Compare that to us who've come second twice and then imploded.

Our team right now is much better than those Falkirk teams, they were complete bottle merchants.

15 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

St mirren are nowhere near the standard of the last three league winners.

That is fair enough when you consider the teams you didn't explicitly mention; Hearts, Hibs, Rangers. These three teams could outspend all other clubs in this division several times over. I would also contend that if it was the case that the best team on paper wins every time then what would be the point of this sport. Dismissing as "nowhere near" is speculative at best, conjecture at best.

So while I appreciate it's a true statement, it's not representative of first division football as a whole. I've watched my team compete (or not, as has been the case) for decades down at this level and you cannot deny that for the average standard of team to win the title we have certainly matched that. In general, this is a good side in comparison over the years.

I really don't want to turn this into a St Mirren thread, but It only sounds (reads) like sour grapes when people say we haven't been good. We have. The problem is that the chasing pack have been bad. People should turn their ire onto them, not complain that an excellently managed side has had great consistency.

Archived