Dumbarton v Dundee United

Well, that was decidedly left field....the enforced separation of Hutton and Carswell

20180407_164924.jpg.05c4ce534c1c258d92935fd36a518fae.jpg

Deliberate or not; this was a long lonely walk for him. I was worried that Utd would have been beaten last week and that Laurie Ellis would be installed as gaffer. Laslo is far too animated at the side of the park and his players must ignore him. He looked like a drunk stoating around a beer garden at one point.
Well, that was decidedly left field....the enforced separation of Hutton and Carswell was a revelation and just maybe this will be noticed [emoji6]
A great shift from every home player and a special mention to Liam Dick who gave a 100% honest performance.
By God though, Dundee United look a burnt-out shell of a club on that performance. And I hope their fans aren't fooled by Moshni's populist ' kiss-the-badge' nonsense.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

In that episode of Dundee United David Wilson was played by Xabi Alonso, Liam Dick was played by Phillip Lahm and Calum Gallagher was played by prime Fernando Torres.

Have to be honest, I felt for Lazlo at the end. United have some good players, but they're almost all spineless diddies who hide as soon as we gave them a bit of a game.

David Wilson's corners :wub:

What were the names of the actors playing Dundee United players?Not very convincing. The castings agency should be sacked.

Have been saying for a good few weeks now that we had to split Carswell and Hutton. The biggest issue was that neither were particularly deserving of being dropped. We needed more going forward and today D Wilson offered us something we have lacked (Brechin aside - kinda). His deliveries for the 2 Barr goals were whipped in with pace, accuracy and served it on a plate for Mango to finish well.

1 minute ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

What were the names of the actors playing Dundee United players?Not very convincing. The castings agency should be sacked.

Laurel and hardy at left and right respectively. Hardy wearing the Stobie mask well.

Great to see us with a bit of fight, sadly lacking in the last three games. Today was the Dumbarton from last season. Not afraid to put it about a bit and willing to get men forward when in possession.

Dowie was colossal today, as was Dick who had his best game in a Sons jersey. Also thought Hutton did well to stifle Stanton and Gallagher had a good game albeit could have had more had he been more clinical in the first half hour.

United looked as cagey at the back as they did on Tuesday night, but this time we punished them. Not convinced they’ll make the play-offs but wish them well. Good support through today.

All about confidence for us now. That’ll do for starters.

1 hour ago, sonsanorak said:

20180407_164924.jpg

Deliberate or not; this was a long lonely walk for him. I was worried that Utd would have been beaten last week and that Laurie Ellis would be installed as gaffer. Laslo is far too animated at the side of the park and his players must ignore him. He looked like a drunk stoating around a beer garden at one point.

I did feel sorry for Lazlo. It would seem though, that his tea's oot.

Big shout out to our maligned players today - all of whom stepped up, and most of whom had their best games in a Sons shirt. Scott Gallacher, Liam Dick, Calum Gallagher and, probably above all else, David Wilson.

Scott Gallacher made two really important saves just before half-time. Concede there and the momentum would've all been with United. Sure he has the odd howler, but he's a solid 'keeper imo. More Stephen Grindlay than Alan Martin in terms of technique and attributes, but effective and probably better than he's given credit for.

Liam Dick (weirdly) looked a million times better at RB than he did at left-back. He put in a few belting inswinging crosses, and chucked himself in front of everything. Sure his positioning was a bit suspect at times, but that shouldn't detract from a really brave, solid performance. 

Calum Gallagher lead the line well - especially given a lot of the service was very direct. His goal was scrappy, but it was about time we had someone in those sort of areas to squeeze the ball home. He worked himself into the ground, must've covered more of the pitch than anyone else and showed a surprisingly good first touch. I didn't know he had that in him!

The real surprise star of today for me though was David Wilson. Even taking his two sumptuous crosses for Mango's goals out of the equation I thought he had a great game. His passing was quick, sharp and accurate. He looked good driving from deep, and in the second half sent Tom Walsh through on goal with one of the best passes I've seen from a Sons player this season. Even from up in the stand I have no idea how he found that gap!

He's a weird player. His game is really unbalanced; we know he has a great eye for a pass (see the ridiculous ball for Ally Roy's goal at Falkirk in August), and we know (now) that he delivers a mean corner, but his weaknesses have really prevented him playing almost all season. After that today I've kind of forgotten what those weaknesses are though. The biggest credit I can pay him is that he reminded me of Sam Stanton a few times - and everyone knows how highly I rated him.

Credit to Stevie too for a pretty bold change when it was 2-2. Normally he'd have brought Dill on for the injured Boomer - but he went for Burt, and it paid off. 

More of this exciting new attacking stuff on Tuesday night plz. I'm hooked on it now.

2 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

20180407_164924.jpg

Pathos

6 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Not that any c***s bothered..but ..dat team......set to be eaten alive for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Just love it when stevie rams my words down my mouth......i predict morton will hump us 10 nil with that ridiculous line up we willhave next Tuesday.WTF is SA thinkin????:P

Just love it when stevie rams my words down my mouth......i predict morton will hump us 10 nil with that ridiculous line up we willhave next Tuesday.WTF is SA thinkin????[emoji14]
To be fair, I took one look at the team sheet today and thought thank f**k footballs not played on paper.

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Big shout out to our maligned players today - all of whom stepped up, and most of whom had their best games in a Sons shirt. Scott Gallacher, Liam Dick, Calum Gallagher and, probably above all else, David Wilson.

Scott Gallacher made two really important saves just before half-time. Concede there and the momentum would've all been with United. Sure he has the odd howler, but he's a solid 'keeper imo. More Stephen Grindlay than Alan Martin in terms of technique and attributes, but effective and probably better than he's given credit for.

Liam Dick (weirdly) looked a million times better at RB than he did at left-back. He put in a few belting inswinging crosses, and chucked himself in front of everything. Sure his positioning was a bit suspect at times, but that shouldn't detract from a really brave, solid performance. 

Calum Gallagher lead the line well - especially given a lot of the service was very direct. His goal was scrappy, but it was about time we had someone in those sort of areas to squeeze the ball home. He worked himself into the ground, must've covered more of the pitch than anyone else and showed a surprisingly good first touch. I didn't know he had that in him!

The real surprise star of today for me though was David Wilson. Even taking his two sumptuous crosses for Mango's goals out of the equation I thought he had a great game. His passing was quick, sharp and accurate. He looked good driving from deep, and in the second half sent Tom Walsh through on goal with one of the best passes I've seen from a Sons player this season. Even from up in the stand I have no idea how he found that gap!

He's a weird player. His game is really unbalanced; we know he has a great eye for a pass (see the ridiculous ball for Ally Roy's goal at Falkirk in August), and we know (now) that he delivers a mean corner, but his weaknesses have really prevented him playing almost all season. After that today I've kind of forgotten what those weaknesses are though. The biggest credit I can pay him is that he reminded me of Sam Stanton a few times - and everyone knows how highly I rated him.

Credit to Stevie too for a pretty bold change when it was 2-2. Normally he'd have brought Dill on for the injured Boomer - but he went for Burt, and it paid off. 

More of this exciting new attacking stuff on Tuesday night plz. I'm hooked on it now.

No mention of Kyle Hutton??  :whistle

No mention of Kyle Hutton??  :whistle

I wouldn’t say he’s maligned in the same way as SeaGal,Scott Gal, Dick and Wilson. He’s been Man of the Match a few times, and was outstanding in the Cup final. Sure he has his off days, but he’s been one of our better players since the turn of the year.

Archived