2018 Commonwealth Games - Gold Coast

Salvo Montalbano

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The heat can do mental things to you.  He'd been out there for six weeks to acclimatise but wouldn't have been training hard at that time of the day in those temperatures.  Gutted for him.  That was really hard to watch.

Not that we've seen it, but a potential medal for Robbie Simpson now - totally unexpected if it happens.

If I'd posted here 10 days ago that Scotland basketball would lose the bronze match to New Zealand by only 10 points, I'd've been told I was deluded.

It's been a superb effort by everyone involved, they've done Scotland proud. Arguably the best Scottish performance of the games.

Well done.

That was heartbreaking, poor guy was costing to victory and that happens to him.

The Officals are a disgrace pretty much left him untill the aussie went past!:rolleyes:

Less said of the scummy spectators taking pitcures of him! :thumbsdown

14 minutes ago, morrison said:

The heat can do mental things to you.  He'd been out there for six weeks to acclimatise but wouldn't have been training hard at that time of the day in those temperatures.  Gutted for him.  That was really hard to watch.

Not that we've seen it, but a potential medal for Robbie Simpson now - totally unexpected if it happens.

That was absolutely brutal to watch. The spectators ran up and done f**k all apart from take pictures and videos over the barrier, which he just hit his head off. Do people not have common sense to help someone in desperate need?

That was horrible to watch in the end, you could see he was grimacing quite badly about ten minutes before, then he started to wave about the road, then he collapsed, then he started running again before collapsing again. 

Absolutely baffling how they didn't have medical attention sooner, feel so bad for the guy, he's evidently pushed his body to the absolute limits. 

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

We have new leaders in the shite English biased commentators competition, as the two on the netball shriek and scream their way through the whole game.

Hopefully the Aussies finish them off.

I had to turn the sound off when I was watching the semifinal yesterday.

They seem to reach peak screech if a player scores from more than 2 paces away from the hoop, like it's some major sporting achievement.  I hope they never watch a womens basketball game and see how far they can score from in it.  Spontaneous combustion would be likely.

8 hours ago, CEMSFC said:

That was absolutely brutal to watch. The spectators ran up and done f**k all apart from take pictures and videos over the barrier, which he just hit his head off. Do people not have common sense to help someone in desperate need?

As a spectator, you're in a really difficult position.  Firstly, you don't know what help they need and dont' have the right equipment.  Then, you don't know whether the athlete might be disqualified if you provide assistance.  On top of that, if you actually offer assistance, the athlete will most likely push you away and refuse assistance, as they don't want to be disqualified and aren't thinking clearly.  Which is apparently what happened in this case. 

I don't think you can place any blame on the spectators, at least the majority that weren't taking pictures.

You can certainly place some blame with the medical staff for taking ages to get there.  And the race organisers for not having any shade at the finish line!

On the subject of the marathon, it took 15 mins to get him in an ambulance. That he had been showing signs of fatigue for the previous 10, wandering over the road, they should have been ready to stop him by the first time he fell. When you have Africans failing to finish, the races should have been held at night.

1 minute ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I'm glad you pointed out that this was on. Pure gold. Unbelievably rubbish. Possibly the worst thing I've ever seen.

There was a wee lad doing the poetry earlier and his accent was quite something.

Archived