2018 Commonwealth Games - Gold Coast

Salvo Montalbano

21 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

I was discussing  with Tom English on Twitter the coverage about the Scotland Basketball reaching the semis the other day.  The initial BBC website post had a 2-line sentence about it, and then had a 2-line sentence about England going out.  He replied that "looks like a bit of gratuitous BBC bashing to me"

To be fair they (well English has) have picked up their game since then.

Yeah it's easy to come across as tin foil hat or gratuitous when making complaints like this, but you're spot on.

Of course England gets more coverage overall - bigger country, more competitors, more medals - so the majority of the coverage being devoted to them is entirely correct, but look at even something basic like their live text updates throughout the day. You'll only get a mention of Scotland in the team sports when the game starts and finishes even when it's a massive achievement like the basketball team against Nigeria, while England's netball or hockey teams are getting updates throughout their games. No problem with that when it comes to medal games, but it hasn't been consistent.

The big problem though is when you get ab English athlete up against someone from another home nation. Again I've no problem with, say, Katarina Johnson-Thompson getting more focus than other home nations athletes in the heptathlon as she was a medal favourite while the others weren't, but it's when you get an evenly matched England v Scotland/Wales/NI contest in the boxing and the coverage is completely slanted one way that it's an issue.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The big problem though is when you get ab English athlete up against someone from another home nation. Again I've no problem with, say, Katarina Johnson-Thompson getting more focus than other home nations athletes in the heptathlon as she was a medal favourite while the others weren't, but it's when you get an evenly matched England v Scotland/Wales/NI contest in the boxing and the coverage is completely slanted one way that it's an issue.

I had the BBC coverage on yesterday in the background while working, so I may have the sport wrong, but this was an example yesterday.

"And now, let's go over to the diving*, where the home nations are doing rather well" Gabby Logan says.

I look up, and the first thing we go to is the list of the current standings of the 8 competitors, where England are 1st and 3rd.........and none of the other competitors are from the Home Nations.

I'm sure they put another tick in the 'mention the home nations' box for the day though.

*May not have been diving.

40 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah it's easy to come across as tin foil hat or gratuitous when making complaints like this, but you're spot on.

Of course England gets more coverage overall - bigger country, more competitors, more medals - so the majority of the coverage being devoted to them is entirely correct, but look at even something basic like their live text updates throughout the day. You'll only get a mention of Scotland in the team sports when the game starts and finishes even when it's a massive achievement like the basketball team against Nigeria, while England's netball or hockey teams are getting updates throughout their games. No problem with that when it comes to medal games, but it hasn't been consistent.

It's also been amazing how many of the team sports have had the England matches switched to the network coverage with BBC commentators, while the other "Home Nations" are hidden away on the red button at best, and usually online, with the world feed commentators.

Rugby Sevens on today. Scotland playing, though you’d never know it from the myopic BBC1/2 coverage, which covered England’s pool matches and nothing else. A few times this morning we’ve had the red button duplicating the TV coverage, with hockey, netball and table tennis all doubling up on BBC1/2 and the red button. Had to rummage around for ages on the BBC sport app to find the Sevens stream. The BBC and sport. :lol:

Is it just me or is there far less red button coverage than in previous games, including the olympics?

Any time I’ve looked there has only been one option whereas I’m sure there have been multiple ones in the past.

I’ve ended up streaming stuff through my son’s xbox quite a lot.

8 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Is it just me or is there far less red button coverage than in previous games, including the olympics?

Any time I’ve looked there has only been one option whereas I’m sure there have been multiple ones in the past.

I’ve ended up streaming stuff through my son’s xbox quite a lot.

Certainly the last 2 Olympics and Glasgow 2014 had huge numbers of streams. You could probably put that down to London and Glasgow being home Games - I'm sure Rio had fewer streams than either though.

ETA: by streams, I mean the additional channels for each stream on Sky, etc.

Controversy in the women's basketball final - Australia's 6' 8" star Liz Cambage gets ejected for something she said to the ref while waiting to take a free throw.

Its actually working against England, as the Australian players and home crowd are now going tonto, and the players have stepped their game up several levels.

Its kinda like when Narey scored that goal v Brazil.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Medals have dried up for Scotland. Below the Welsh now in the Medal Table. Have we got any bowlers left or is that finished now?

Looks like Wales are going to finish  on top of us now with picking up 3 Golds today leaving us 1 gold behind, but with more medals tottal.

Unless Callum Hawkins some how fluke the Marathan on the last day.

Archived