Hearts v Aberdeen

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were poor, but Hearts (as in the game at Murrayfield) were very good I though. Is it just consistency that stops them being higher?

I thought Logan and McGinn were particularly pish for us. GMS tried hard, but the game was well over by the time he came on.

Still had a good day, the new main stand us indeed very nice, and my pie was extremely tasty.

Let me take a gamble as to what happened: Greg Stewart, Niall McGinn and Ryan Christie were hiding; May had no service; Shinnie and McLean got annoyed at what was in front of them not turning up again and behind them being shaky; O'Connor and Considine woefully exposed yet again. Logan average as per. GMS and Rooney made a difference when they come on but too little too late. Arnason a waste of a sub. Sound about right?

Not a million miles away BD. I thought Stewart at least tried to show for the ball and take some responsibility in possession. May and McGinn were very poor - completely anonymous. Christie is an infuriating player to watch - he is no where near as good as he thinks he is.

Couldn’t really fault Considine or O’Connor for either goal. But p1ss poor defending and a degree of good fortune certainly played a part in Hearts taking a comfortable, and probably deserved, lead.

Christie, Stewart and Mcginn offered absolutely nothing so defence had to pass amongst themselves or do one twos with midfielders who were bereft of ideas.
Didn't look close to opening up Hearts at any point.

Yup - exactly (although I thought Stewart was far from our worst today). We got outnumbered/out worked when we tried to play through the middle. May won zip when we tried to play long or feed something down a channel.

Hearts locked down our midfield and we had no alternatives up our sleeve. We needed to be braver in the tackle and in possession and we did neither.

We were poor, but Hearts (as in the game at Murrayfield) were very good I though. Is it just consistency that stops them being higher?

Short answer: yes

Slightly more detailed answer we struggle away from home and our early season form was atrocious as Levein took charge and rebuilt Hearts style. We threw games away in the autumn against Motherwell, Partick and Dundee with slapdash defending. Lots of people complain about Levein but not being organised defensively is never one of those complaints

Aberdeen are currently 16 points ahead of us, that exaggerates the difference in quality at the moment . A whole 11 points of that 16 was opened in the first 8 games.

6 defenders and STILL pumped yez. :lol:
Wee naisy hates yous anaw which makes his 78k a week excellent value IMO. 8)

What was his celebration about, with the arm tapping thing? Is that just his celebration or was it a message to the Aberdeen fans? Couldn't figure out why he has a problem with us, I mind he got a long injury after trying to end Rob Milsom's career a few seasons baxk so maybe it's something to do with that.

I thought Stewart was terrible in the first half, and was rightly hooked at half-time. He was far from the only culprit, mind - McGinn was virtually anonymous, Christie was frustrating, May was poor. Lewis also looked uncharacteristically shaky at points in the first half, and some of our defending was, to put it kindly, suspect. Mackay-Steven added a bit more urgency and directness when he came on, but it was too little, too late. Overall, it was a limp, uninspiring, sloppy performance, and we were sorely lacking in creativity and guile.

I'm fearing for Hampden now, especially with two of our most important players and our regular right-back suspended, and with their potential replacements either limited, lacking match sharpness, or injured.

Back down to earth with a bump after the optimism of the previous two performances and results. 

What was going on with the Aberdeen players footing. Pitch looked in good nick but Aberdeen players were falling about all ober the place. Probably just not used to playing on a pitch thats not 80% mud and sand.

Cant remember seeing a game with so many players slipping and almost all of it was our players.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, LincolnHearts said:

What's the drill with European spots? 2nd and 3rd go into Europa qualifiers?

And 4th, if one of Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen win the cup.

1 hour ago, Jmothecat2 said:

What was his celebration about, with the arm tapping thing? Is that just his celebration or was it a message to the Aberdeen fans? Couldn't figure out why he has a problem with us, I mind he got a long injury after trying to end Rob Milsom's career a few seasons baxk so maybe it's something to do with that.

No sure m7. Maybe this will help?

https://mobile.twitter.com/louisjones1874/status/982675867569676288

What was going on with the Aberdeen players footing. Pitch looked in good nick but Aberdeen players were falling about all ober the place. Probably just not used to playing on a pitch thats not 80% mud and sand.
Cant remember seeing a game with so many players slipping and almost all of it was our players.

Pitch has been treacherous for much of this season

Ann Budge talked about it in her interview on Sportsound

Summary: it was done cheaply because we were building a new stand, it's not worked out, it will get redone properly in the summer.

Archived