On the Buses

As a kid I found this family viewing quite entertaining, now I regard it as unfunny and fairly repugnant.

The woman that plays Olive (and ended up in Eastenders as well I think) used to be a stripper many, many years ago. I remember the amusement and horror of myself and my school friends when we discovered photos of her in some celebrity skin mag. I'm sure the photos will be online if that sort of thing floats your boat.

From the days of watch or don't watch. Watched it recently and thought that was even worse than it was in 1970. In fact it was a lot worse. True though about bus garages. Most of the drivers ending up marrying young clippies who turned out to be complete dragons in later years.

The thing i find most striking is how Arthur says things to Olive like "Why don't you shut your face you stupid fat cow" and that's it ! There is no word play or joke just Arthur abusing Olive and that's it.

On 05/04/2018 at 16:48, Loondave1 said:

The thing i find most striking is how Arthur says things to Olive like "Why don't you shut your face you stupid fat cow" and that's it ! There is no word play or joke just Arthur abusing Olive and that's it.

That's 70s TV for you...

Another time another place is all you can say about it!!!

Imagine if the started showing reruns of "Love Thy Neighbour", the Internet would melt!!![emoji1]

On 4/5/2018 at 12:42, Satans_Husband said:

As a kid I found this family viewing quite entertaining, now I regard it as unfunny and fairly repugnant.

The woman that plays Olive (and ended up in Eastenders as well I think) used to be a stripper many, many years ago. I remember the amusement and horror of myself and my school friends when we discovered photos of her in some celebrity skin mag. I'm sure the photos will be online if that sort of thing floats your boat.

She played Peggy Mitchell's sister in Eastenders.

"Bloody big black sambo next door" .. Good job we are being "ironic" here.

Indeed we are so being, "whitey"!!!

Archived