Thistle V Killie (07/04/18)

Hey ho ... maybe next time.

Partick Thistle manager Alan Archibald: "I thought the performance was better. There wasn't a lot in the game. 

"There was a lot more desire from the players to try and get back in the game and win the game.

"Things don't go for you when you're down the bottom of the table.

"Massive games now - they become cup finals and, if we show the desire we showed today, hopefully we'll get a result.

"I'm happy doing my job. What the board say and what the board do isn't going to affect the players on the pitch at the moment."

^^^#W38 team raises their game against a side from #TB4 shocker^^^

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, CLANCY2KTID said:

#Juggernaut 

#Toffee 

(although I do genuinely hope Thistle get their shit together and stay up) 

The shit has been sprayed all over the porcelain and now flushed away

10 minutes ago, Midlife Crisis said:

Completely predictable and well done to those who made a few quid on it.

Mutual Consent before 5pm Monday would allow Archibald and Patterson to leave with some dignity.

There is no case for the defence now - they need to go.

Do I'd be very surprised if they went before it's mathematically impossible for us to stay up.

I said last week after the Hamilton game that I thought it was a routine win and I think it would be fair to say the same again. Neither a particularly good performance but when you're on a 5 game winning streak, who gives a shit.  We did what we had to do, and reduced Thistle to few real chances.

Broadfoot coming straight back in had to be the call, even though S Boyd played well last week. The big man is impervious. That last ditch block he made second half saved us the three points. Really pleased for big Findlay getting his goal too, deserved after yet another excellent performance. Got speaking to his mum and aunt on the way in to the ground, told them he had been excellent all season, then bumped into them briefly again after the game - they looked chuffed!

O'Donnell and Taylor have to be two of the most consistent fullbacks in the league. Just typical performances that we've come to expect from them yet again. Thought SOD in particular was great, getting up and down that wing.

Always happy when we play our strongest midfield three. Think Archibald had his tactics right in there, getting a couple of players straight in on Mulumbu every time he received the ball. It made for a tough game for him, and doubt he was too happy with his performance - not his best for us, and should have done far better with the shot second half. Definitely one where he hasn't realised how much time he has on the ball - enough for a touch, rather than his first time fresh air swipe. Still, in the first couple of minutes of the game, he brought a high ball out of the air with an absolute worldie of a touch that got him away from a Partick player who looked genuinely baffled as to where he had gone.

Of the front three, Jones had the best game - stretched them well and possibly unlucky not to get given a foul first half when he's gone through on goal. Pulled off the elastico again as he did to win the penalty vs St J, this time winning a free kick - a joy to watch! Did well for the goal too. I'd say it's as tired as I've seen him finish a game - he wasn't doing as much of the defensive stuff as he should have been last 10 and it made things tricky for us. Looked done. 

Second half I thought we did well to hold on for the three points. They were getting some joy down the right side through guys like Erskine. Think the sub bringing Rory on for Erwin was the right call at the time, though I'm not sure it was as effective as Clarke hoped from Rory. We dug in and certainly saw the game out professionally in the last few. 

Cracking Killie support too - nearly in danger of outnumbering Thistle's wee crowd. Onwards to Hamilton and win number 6!

My wee boy's first away game today after having been at seven or eight homes. Fair to say he's not yet had the full Killie experience in his young life. Came home talking about nothing else, played football in the living room before bed, then I was to pretend to be Steve Clarke putting Kris Boyd to bed at bedtime :rolleyes:Glad he's enjoying it while it lasts!

1 hour ago, deadasdillinger said:

I said last week after the Hamilton game that I thought it was a routine win and I think it would be fair to say the same again. Neither a particularly good performance but when you're on a 5 game winning streak, who gives a shit.  We did what we had to do, and reduced Thistle to few real chances.

Broadfoot coming straight back in had to be the call, even though S Boyd played well last week. The big man is impervious. That last ditch block he made second half saved us the three points. Really pleased for big Findlay getting his goal too, deserved after yet another excellent performance. Got speaking to his mum and aunt on the way in to the ground, told them he had been excellent all season, then bumped into them briefly again after the game - they looked chuffed!

O'Donnell and Taylor have to be two of the most consistent fullbacks in the league. Just typical performances that we've come to expect from them yet again. Thought SOD in particular was great, getting up and down that wing.

Always happy when we play our strongest midfield three. Think Archibald had his tactics right in there, getting a couple of players straight in on Mulumbu every time he received the ball. It made for a tough game for him, and doubt he was too happy with his performance - not his best for us, and should have done far better with the shot second half. Definitely one where he hasn't realised how much time he has on the ball - enough for a touch, rather than his first time fresh air swipe. Still, in the first couple of minutes of the game, he brought a high ball out of the air with an absolute worldie of a touch that got him away from a Partick player who looked genuinely baffled as to where he had gone.

Of the front three, Jones had the best game - stretched them well and possibly unlucky not to get given a foul first half when he's gone through on goal. Pulled off the elastico again as he did to win the penalty vs St J, this time winning a free kick - a joy to watch! Did well for the goal too. I'd say it's as tired as I've seen him finish a game - he wasn't doing as much of the defensive stuff as he should have been last 10 and it made things tricky for us. Looked done. 

Second half I thought we did well to hold on for the three points. They were getting some joy down the right side through guys like Erskine. Think the sub bringing Rory on for Erwin was the right call at the time, though I'm not sure it was as effective as Clarke hoped from Rory. We dug in and certainly saw the game out professionally in the last few. 

Cracking Killie support too - nearly in danger of outnumbering Thistle's wee crowd. Onwards to Hamilton and win number 6!

My wee boy's first away game today after having been at seven or eight homes. Fair to say he's not yet had the full Killie experience in his young life. Came home talking about nothing else, played football in the living room before bed, then I was to pretend to be Steve Clarke putting Kris Boyd to bed at bedtime :rolleyes:Glad he's enjoying it while it lasts!

Great post other than your pathetic wee crowd w**k. You were lucky to get 2k at home when Lee Clarke and Gary Locke was your manager. Personally, I was delighted to see so many Kilmarnock fans at Firhill. It is only 40 mins on a train after all!

We were actually okay today compared to recent performances at Dingwall and at Tynecastle. The second half clearly demonstrated just how excellent a manager Steve Clarke is. He obviously instructed his team to sit deep and soak up any pressure. Broadfoot and Findlay could have passed for Baresi and Maldini. 

Clarke is also a breathe of fresh air in his interviews. Honest, respectful and insightful.

Fair play to Killie.

5 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Why are Thistle fans so unbelievably resigned to relegation? There's still a long way to go and so many twists and turns yet.

0 goals in 5 games, no wins in 9 games, Scully in goal, Osman inexplicably getting picked for every game, delusional tactically naive manager.

12 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

Why are Thistle fans so unbelievably resigned to relegation? There's still a long way to go and so many twists and turns yet.

Looking like a duck and quacking like a duck like the consecutive relegation sides I saw 2003-04 (finished on 26 points in top flight, which we havn’t managed this season yet) and 2004-05. It’s done and dusted.

Broadfoot and Findlay could have passed for Baresi and Maldini. 

Clarke is also a breathe of fresh air in his interviews. Honest, respectful and insightful.

Fair play to Killie.

Since SC arrived, Broaders could play in his housecoat & slippers. When he doesn't try to play the villan/hardman, he's actually a really decent player who's won over the vast majority of fans.

Findlay since moving back into the centre next to Kirk has been solid, he doesn't mind a rampage forward & has very good pace.

0 goals in 5 games, no wins in 9 games, Scully in goal, Osman inexplicably getting picked for every game, delusional tactically naive manager.

Looking like a duck and quacking like a duck like the consecutive relegation sides I saw 2003-04 (finished on 26 points in top flight, which we havn’t managed this season yet) and 2004-05. It’s done and dusted.

There's a long way to go, and finishing at worst in a playoff position is still in your hands. With all the teams having to play each other around them, there's a lot more twists yet to come.

Fair play to the Killie fans who turned out today. Just need to wrap the “Hello Hello” shite. Turns some of our fans (assumedly others’ as well) into frothing messes though.

We weren’t as shite as everyone was assuming we’d be, but that was still pretty awful. Osman should never have been on the park in the first place, and should definitely have been hooked at half time at the absolute latest. I also thought that was Cargill’s worst game in a Thistle shirt. Constantly giving the ball away and unable to make a five-yard pass. Spittal was his usual shitebag self and Erskine had a Squiddy.

Elliott was the best player on the park, and I thought that he contained Jones pretty well for most of the game. Any time that he lost him, he managed to get back and recover. McCarthy also had a good game, and Lawless was decent first half.

There was an air of total resignation about the place today, both fans and players. The only time the North Stand seemed to get riled was when Osman made an arse of things (which, to be fair, was frequently). Might as well just concede the post-split games and start planning for next season if we’re continuing with Archie.

2 hours ago, deadasdillinger said:

Delighted to hear your wee man is enjoying football so much. Delighted.  image.png.454ca5340cf73b13576a2810efbbbd9b.png

55 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

The short version is that statistically we're fucking horrific, and having been stupid enough to buy a season ticket I can also confirm that, aesthetically, we're a flat, boring, nothing team that doesn't create lots of chances either. On the rare occasion we do score first? We're great at flinging points away. When we concede first? We're hopeless at coming back into matches even if there's only the 1 goal in it (by my count we've had three comebacks all season - got a 1-1 draw against Hearts from 1-0 down, got a 2-2 draw against Rangers* from 1-0 down and only one comeback win from Dundee, 2-1 at Firhill; and of course that was rendered a bit pointless when they reversed it through Simon Murray's late brace). We don't help ourselves by quite often going 2+ goals down in matches meaning there's no hope of scraping a point in the last 10 mins.

It's not like we're just conceding loads of goals from set pieces or something like that, which can theoretically be worked on; we're really just not very good at football all-round.

One league win in 2018. One home point in 2018, coming in a shite 0-0 with Aberdeen in poor weather + on a poor pitch.

Archived