Airdrie vs Ayr Utd

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Would last nights intervention from the keeper be classed as a save? 

The linesman last night gave the offside because he thought it was a Man City player who played the ball to Sane, who was in an offside position. That “pass” came AFTER the Liverpool keeper punched away the cross, and so the keepers’ intervention is irrelevant. Where the linesman went wrong is not seeing that it was Milner who “passed” the ball to Sane, not a City player.

On Saturday Shankland took a shot and the linesman adjudged Moore to be standing in an offside position at the time. The shot was saved and deflected off an Airdrie player on its way to Moore. Despite the save and deflection off the Airdrie player, the offside call would have been correct if Moore was actually standing in an offside position when Shankland took the shot, but he wasn’t.

I really don’t know how to explain it any better than that.

edit: that’s the law there http://www.theifab.com/laws/offside/chapters/offside-offence

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
    • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
    • challenging an opponent for the ball or
    • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close to him when this action impacts on an opponent or
    • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

or

• gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
    • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponent
    • been deliberately saved by any opponent

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

The bit in bold highlights that the linesman on Saturday was correct to ignore the save and subsequent deflection. He was however wrong in thinking that Moore was beyond the second last defender when Shankland played the ball, as the highlights show he wasn’t.

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

The linesman last night gave the offside because he thought it was a Man City player who played the ball to Sane, who was in an offside position. That “pass” came AFTER the Liverpool keeper punched away the cross, and so the keepers’ intervention is irrelevant. Where the linesman went wrong is not seeing that it was Milner who “passed” the ball to Sane, not a City player.

On Saturday Shankland took a shot and the linesman adjudged Moore to be standing in an offside position at the time. The shot was saved and deflected off an Airdrie player on its way to Moore. Despite the save and deflection off the Airdrie player, the offside call would have been correct if Moore was actually standing in an offside position when Shankland took the shot, but he wasn’t.

In both cases, it was the wrong call by an official but I do think the call against Moore is the least easy to justify. I'm Just very thankful that it didn't matter in the end.

Onwards, troops.  

3 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I really don’t know how to explain it any better than that.

We know all that, same situation times 2 before human intervention, what does all that have to do with my question?

After reading the laws I'm interested to know if the keepers intervention is deemed as a save.

5 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

In both cases, it was the wrong call by an official but I do think the call against Moore is the least easy to justify. I'm Just very thankful that it didn't matter in the end.

Onwards, troops.  

They were both wrong aye, just for very different reasons.

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

We know all that, same situation times 2 before human intervention, what does all that have to do with my question?

After reading the laws I'm interested to know if the keepers intervention is deemed as a save.

From your first post it seemed like you were trying to draw a comparison between the two incidents. But apart from them both being wrong calls, there isn’t much comparable about them.

2 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

They were both wrong aye, just for very different reasons.

From your first post it seemed like you were trying to draw a comparison between the two incidents. But apart from them both being wrong calls, there isn’t much comparable about them.

You keep saying this, they are the exact same situationally before the linos get involved.

I'm more interested in finding out if the keeper last night was classed as a save.

You keep saying this, they are the exact same situationally before the linos get involved.

I'm more interested in finding out if the keeper last night was classed as a save.

Fucking hell, no they aren’t. How clearly do you actually need me to explain it?

One was given offside because the linesman - wrongly - adjudged Moore to be offside when Shankland played the ball. As the rules state the subsequent save and deflection were irrelevant.

The other was given offside because the linesman - wrongly - adjudged that it was a City player who played the ball to Sane, when in actual fact it was Milner.

I really don’t know how you can’t see the difference there.

Just now, eez-eh said:

Fucking hell, no they aren’t. How clearly do you actually need me to explain it?

According to you, both players are onside when the initial ball is played, both times the keeper plays the ball onto one of his own players, the ball rebounds back towards goal by which time both scorers are offside, they are the exact same situation before the officials intervene.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

According to you, both players are onside when the initial ball is played, both times the keeper plays the ball onto one of his own players, the ball rebounds back towards goal by which time both scorers are offside, they are the exact same situation before the officials intervene.

For f**k’s sake.

The referee on Saturday gave the offside because he thought Moore was standing offside when Shankland played the ball. The position of Moore when the subsequent save and deflection were made is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is where he was standing when the last Ayr player touched the ball, which the linesman - incorrectly - judged as offside.

Sane was well onside when the initial cross was played, the offside was not given for the initial cross. The Liverpool keeper then punched the ball which Milner played back to Sane. By this point Sane was standing in an offside position, but that shouldn’t have mattered because it was a Liverpool player who played the ball. The linesman fucked up because he though it was a City player who played the ball, the keepers intervention in this case was irrelevant, as it happened before the linesman - incorrectly - spotted an offside offence.

9 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

For f**k’s sake.

The referee on Saturday gave the offside because he thought Moore was standing offside when Shankland played the ballThe position of Moore when the subsequent save and deflection were made is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is where he was standing when the last Ayr player touched the ball, which the linesman - incorrectly - judged as offside.

Sane was well onside when the initial cross was played, the offside was not given for the initial cross. The Liverpool keeper then punched the ball which Milner played back to Sane. By this point Sane was standing in an offside position, but that shouldn’t have mattered because it was a Liverpool player who played the ball. The linesman fucked up because he thought it was a City player who played the ball, the keepers intervention in this case was irrelevant, as it happened before the linesman - incorrectly - spotted an offside offence.

We know all that, same situation times 2 changed by linos opinions, what's hard to comprehend from that?

We know all that, same situation times 2 changed by linos opinions, what's hard to comprehend from that?

You can say “same situation times 2” all you like, it doesn’t change the fact there’s nothing comparable about them.

It’s not me who’s having the comprehension problems here. But as usual you’ve dragged this to the point of tedium because someone had the audacity to try clear something up for you.

Just now, eez-eh said:

You can say “same situation times 2” all you like, it doesn’t change the fact there’s nothing comparable about them.

It’s not me who’s having the comprehension problems here. But as usual you’ve dragged this to the point of tedium because someone had the audacity to try clear something up for you.

You never cleared anything up for me, I never said they were comparable incidents, I said they were the exact same situation before the lino's opinions come into play, which they were,  I asked if the keeper' intervention was classed as a save.

Nowt wrong with a bit of of tedium now and then, usually means I'm feeling really good in my own skin.

Archived