Gender Pay Gap

So the question comes down to why does he get 2 extra shows a week? It might be that they are both happy with the amount of work they get, or because he is genuinely better at that work but it might be that he's been given the opportunity to have two more shows over other people who are equally as capable but not being given opportunities.
I think the gender pay gap really falls in with other forms of inequality in work. It is  pretty easy for those who want to treat others (minorities, men/women they simply don't like, disabled people, homosexuals) differently to do so by finding small reasons for marking down performance or ability, for giving silly reasons as to why they hire candidate X over candidate Y. They are never really examined on their decisions or asked to provide a rationale for doing what they do, even when they are its likely no-one ever really checks them,.
In some ways it is a shame when these things are discussed in terms of gender because the argument becomes a bit like this thread, where people get defensive about it and pretend that everyone is imagining it. This then lets those who do these things, against people of all genders and  for any reason, get away with doing it more. It would be better if all inequality were talked about together and ways of trying to tackle it discussed in a more general way, because they really aren't that different and  amount to the same behaviours and consequences.

The problem is that it’s an extremely complex issue.

The pay gap statistics are valuable so long as they are presented in the correct context. It’s a broad measure of the fact women don’t seem to occupy the top jobs in a lot of companies and that is without question a result of historical sexism and needs addressed.

But there is a responsibility to report it in the appropriate context and make people aware that this figure is no more than a basis for discussion as opposed to evidence to beat people with (in my
Opinion).

People who claim there is no sexism, inequality etc are to be ignored, because of course there is. But it needs to be sensible discussion and a realisation that it is not an overnight fix.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem is that it’s an extremely complex issue.

The pay gap statistics are valuable so long as they are presented in the correct context. It’s a broad measure of the fact women don’t seem to occupy the top jobs in a lot of companies and that is without question a result of historical sexism and needs addressed.

But there is a responsibility to report it in the appropriate context and make people aware that this figure is no more than a basis for discussion as opposed to evidence to beat people with (in my
Opinion).

People who claim there is no sexism, inequality etc are to be ignored, because of course there is. But it needs to be sensible discussion and a realisation that it is not an overnight fix.

Good post, I totally agree.

Not pay specifically but employment conditions. Some cheerleader is suing an American throw ball team for gender discrimination due to their rules. It showed some on sky earlier. If a player is in a restaurant she must leave. If she is in a restaurant and a player comes in she must leave. The good ol’ USA.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2018 at 05:29, JTS98 said:

The arguments in the video are perfectly valid and this is something that has deeply irritated me in the media in recent years.

The studies used to 'show' that women are paid less than men for the same work do not show that at all. They show that your average man makes more money than your average woman. That is not anything like the same thing. I find it quite concerning that so many media outlets report this as fact when their well-educated staff simply must be aware that it is not so.

The studies that give figures like 76p in the pound would fail a first-year university stats project. They would fail because the figures are not controlled.

For example, we know that men work more hours than women https://www.statista.com/statistics/280749/monthly-full-time-weekly-hours-of-work-in-the-uk-by-gender-year-on-year/. So, men making more money shouldn't be a surprise. We also know that 97% of accidental deaths in the workplace in the UK are male http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/pdf/fatalinjuries.pdf. We also know that women are much more likely to take sick days than men, as reported by the ONS. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/10660612/Women-are-almost-42-per-cent-more-likely-to-take-sick-days-than-men.html

These are just three examples. But basically men work more hours, take less time off, work in more dangerous jobs and are more likely to be prepared to take employment that means they have to be separated from their family for extended periods. In a capitalist society this is always going to result in men being paid more. The market values those attributes.

It is disingenuous in the extreme to say that women are paid less than men for the same work simply by citing 'full-time' work, and what bothers me is that those reporting this clearly know that. Yet they are happy to whip up a controversy where none should reasonably exist. The Guardian recently ran an article on the 'gender' pay gap at an airline where, blow me down with a feather, the mostly-male pilots were paid more than they mostly-female cabin crew. They actually presented that as a gender pay issue. It's ridiculous.

I'm a generally PC and left-wards leaning kind of person, but arguments based on falsehood, especially known falsehood, really annoy me, regardless of who they come from. The gender pay-gap in the UK as reported in the 21st century is nonsense.

33 greenies, glorious. It's taken 5 years, but the P&B Massiv is finally waking :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Beautiful few days in the world of setting Feminist delusions straight.

Yesterday

Barcelona women's team correctly doesn't get in business class with the men, tantrums thrown as expected.

https://news.sky.com/story/barcelona-criticised-as-womens-team-flies-economy-while-mens-team-travels-in-business-11449604

Today

6th tier Salford Boys team rout Man U ladies 9-0.

They just deleted the tweet that was up :lol: https://twitter.com/Academy92/status/1022566812158976004

image.png.45674986eb479d9ae79763dcd071af60.png

Archived