SSFL - The Future

19 hours ago, info said:

Sorry Marten but your idea will never happen. Reason? Too much like common sense!

Sorry, I'm still relatively new to Scottish football. I keep forgetting that applying common sense is not always realistic...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/04/2018 at 19:07, FairWeatherFan said:

Half right. They're already bottom of the pyramid, but they're not an amateur league.

It's not in SAFA but name the clubs that pay their players. You won't need two hands. Clubs in the South are very much ran along the same lines as those in the North Juniors and East/West districts.

It's not in SAFA but name the clubs that pay their players. You won't need two hands. Clubs in the South are very much ran along the same lines as those in the North Juniors and East/West districts.

Threave
St Cuthberts
Newton Stewart
Uppers
Abbey Vale
Creetown

That’s 2 hands

6 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Which makes it a league of predominantly amateur clubs but not a amateur league.

4 hours ago, Aguerooooo said:

Threave
St Cuthberts
Newton Stewart
Uppers
Abbey Vale
Creetown

That’s 2 hands

I can assure you as I know the Treasurers of Newton Stewart and Creetown that no player is paid at the Clubs and the lads only receive travel expenses as I’m sure most of those ( probably the bottom 4 ) you listed will do likewise. Please refrain from spouting bullshit when you clearly have no inside information from within the Clubs before you make ridiculous statements for the sake of it and stick to berating those you clearly dislike and constantly moan about ! Have a nice day Sir and please up your game 

I have no problem with the SoSFL being at Level 6, on a par with the EoSFL. However, the league footprint must cover the whole of the Lowland area outwith the EoSFL area, so basically the current WRJFA area. If the league is prepared to do that, great, crack on. But, if the wish is to continue to be essentially the Dumfries & Galloway League, covering a population of 150,000 then it is unrealistic and inequitable to  expect to be at Level 6, where we're talking at least 10 times the population and a significantly bigger footprint. This is where all the chat about the theoretical new WoSFL has come from.  The SoSFL should really take a lead on this, but I suspect it'll be the EoSFL facilitating things in the West. It's time to decide what the league wants to be: a district league for practically amateur clubs or a league for semi-pro clubs  making the step up to regional football. Either is fine, but given the current pace of change, the league needs to decide soon!

17 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

I have no problem with the SoSFL being at Level 6, on a par with the EoSFL. However, the league footprint must cover the whole of the Lowland area outwith the EoSFL area, so basically the current WRJFA area. If the league is prepared to do that, great, crack on. But, if the wish is to continue to be essentially the Dumfries & Galloway League, covering a population of 150,000 then it is unrealistic and inequitable to  expect to be at Level 6, where we're talking at least 10 times the population and a significantly bigger footprint. This is where all the chat about the theoretical new WoSFL has come from.  The SoSFL should really take a lead on this, but I suspect it'll be the EoSFL facilitating things in the West. It's time to decide what the league wants to be: a district league for practically amateur clubs or a league for semi-pro clubs  making the step up to regional football. Either is fine, but given the current pace of change, the league needs to decide soon!

Outside looking in it's hard to tell what the SoSFL really intend. Accepted East Kilbride, Edusport were accepted when they were originally playing out of Hamilton and most recently Bonnyton Thistle out of Kilmarnock. None licenced at the time and I think East Kilbride was when the idea of a pyramid was on the drawing board but thought to be a year or two away rather than the months it turned out to be.

The criticism of the SoS is that the majority of the clubs have no real expectation to go any higher, but the same is considered true of the Highland League & EoS. Both the Highland & EoS are approaching things in opposite ways. The Highland want to avoid splitting themselves into divisions for as long as possible and yet EoS are willing to do just that which could see the traditional membership fall to a lower tier through evolution.

Clydebank, Kilwinning and BSC have in their ways all undermined the idea of the SoS as the Western feeder to the Lowland League. The SoS are going to have to engage with prospective clubs in the same way that the EoS apparently have in order to survive with its current standing.

It'll be interesting to see if they end up adding any members this year other than the expected return of Wigtown & Bladnoch.

Realistically and if common sense prevails. 

SOSFL level remains at T6 and invitationsare made to junior clubs. 

They will form a me a league and any licensed club is given first refusl to join at the level.  Any SOSFL team without a license is given this season to become licensed and join the setup. From there the juniors form a queue..... whether that makes a 20 team league or what means a fair way to progress for all.

After all, any SOSFL club has been involved and has had the opportunity to become licensed and offers to the lowland league ifthey are successful. Why should a new comer be given priority over the league thag are already within the setup?

I am sure the SOSFL would be happy to accommodate any new prospective members.  

12 hours ago, Hossy87 said:

Realistically and if common sense prevails. 

SOSFL level remains at T6 and invitationsare made to junior clubs. 

They will form a me a league and any licensed club is given first refusl to join at the level.  Any SOSFL team without a license is given this season to become licensed and join the setup. From there the juniors form a queue..... whether that makes a 20 team league or what means a fair way to progress for all.

After all, any SOSFL club has been involved and has had the opportunity to become licensed and offers to the lowland league ifthey are successful. Why should a new comer be given priority over the league thag are already within the setup?

I am sure the SOSFL would be happy to accommodate any new prospective members.  

I agree.

The SOSFL would need to reconsider their £2,000 deposit scheme for new clubs though.

If enough clubs from outside Dumfries and Galloway were interested then the league could be split, next season, into parallel Dumfries & Galloway and West of Scotland districts with the highest placed licenced club in both divisions playing off for the right to play off against the champions of the EOSFL for a place in the Lowland League. This may mean that it isn't the Champions of either division but slightly lower placed clubs instead - otherwise you could have unlicenced clubs permanently blocking promotion!

The play off with the EOSFL champions wouldn't be needed if the Lowland League agrees to a second relegation/promotion spot with its' feeder leagues. One for the east and one for the west. Indeed , if the Lowland League went as far as stating now that it is willing to do this in order to help progress in its' feeder leagues you may find that those West Juniors which have, so far, held back, may be prepared to make the move to a west division of the SOSFL?

If the SOSFL chose it could either maintain two regional divisions or it could form a premier and a first division after the end of 2018/19. New teams could then apply for the Western division, with additional divisions created below that, if required, or for the lower division of a league where all clubs cover the whole of the south and west of Scotland. The first option would be the one that makes more sense though.

Add Newton Stewart ( not since the 1950' s  )and Creetown (not since the early naughties)Present day) that I know of and you realise how ill-informed that list is.

51 minutes ago, Eck Houston said:

Creetown FC have never paid players and never will as long as I am chairman.so away and spout your pish somewhere else agueroooooooooo ya clown

Any team that pays players in this league, need to take  a serious look at themselves .

14 hours ago, Eck Houston said:

Creetown FC have never paid players and never will as long as I am chairman.so away and spout your pish somewhere else agueroooooooooo ya clown

Strange statement indeed! Ambition as if we only want to make up the numbers!

15 hours ago, CD1953 said:

Rumours afoot that Wigtown, Creetown and Lochmaben will not be involved next season.  

Given that @Eck Houston posted in here just a couple of days ago...any chance of an answer from Creetown on this?

Seen this rumour pop up a couple of times this morning.

17 hours ago, CD1953 said:

Rumours afoot that Wigtown, Creetown and Lochmaben will not be involved next season.  

Creetown have started fundraising for next season and beyond, offering a season ticket for life when you pay £100. Hopefully this means they are looking to a future in SOSL.

I have heard they've struggled to find a manager since Keith Knox departed.

19 hours ago, CD1953 said:

Really hope this isn't true. Admittedly Wigtown and Creetown are a bit out of my way but I've been to a fair few Lochmaben games this season and would be sad to see them go. 

Archived