FIFA World Cup build up thread

In addition to supporting Belgium, Tunisia, Panama and possibly [Winner Group H], [Runner-up Group H], [Winner Match 53], [Winner Match 55] I'll be supporting the Russian police and Putin's elite armed guards in keeping Russia's deckchair collection safe and secured on the ground.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/03/2018 at 08:08, JakeSAFC said:

Im personally looking forward to the English getting an absolute doing off the Russians, again.

could be a watershed for the travelling mob of fuckwits when they get battered (again); it'll be the last hurrah for the lager-swilling, bottle throwing, "ten german bombers" mob who are all nearing retirement age anyway; it'll either put an end to it all for good, or there's going to be a retooled, harder, more extreme russian-style firm which emerge that are far more dangerous than the current pot-bellied gimps; I suspect that after the doing they got at the euro's, there's already a leaning towards the latter approach, and you're going to see more face-offs with the security forces rather than the russian gangs, from whom they'll be running scared from the off.

the VAR frenzy will be just that - a self-serving orgy of indignation and incomprehension, lapped up by drivelling imbeciles; people might just start to realise that whe whole charade is actually all about creating a noise across  the media to create and sustain a higher profile for the game rather than any genuine attempt to ensure fair and equitable decisions; all publicity is good publicity - that's all VAR has been about from the start, and is why Sky love it (supposedly bigger, brasher, more controversial product to lure subscribers); Talk Shite are now able to sustain entire programmes on the back of the fallout from decisions and consequently, also w**k over every last ounce of debate; VAR is no more than footballing clickbait - end of.

On a lighter note - cracking read in the Guardian today about Scotland in 1978 - can't comment as to the veracity of the content, given that I was just a wee opinionated imbecile at the time, but I thought it was a good read anyway...

As for the football (almost forgot that) - fuerza Peru !

Looking forward to another summer of Stan Collymore running around cities shouting "Journalist" in an accent.

Hopefully after putting England out of the competition, VAR won't continue to ruin it for the rest of us which I think there is a high chance it could if not done correctly.

Going to be supporting the Nigerians this year, mainly so I have an excuse to buy their kit but also because they've been on not bad form recently.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2018 at 12:11, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Looking forward to another summer of Stan Collymore running around cities shouting "Journalist" in an accent.

Hopefully after putting England out of the competition, VAR won't continue to ruin it for the rest of us which I think there is a high chance it could if not done correctly.

Going to be supporting the Nigerians this year, mainly so I have an excuse to buy their kit but also because they've been on not bad form recently.

I hate weirdos who have to 'support' someone.  You're not Nigerian mate.  Personally I just watch the football.

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I hate weirdos who have to 'support' someone.  You're not Nigerian mate.  Personally I just watch the football.

i'm supporting argentina because i like to pretend i'm argentinian. it makes me feel good.

if that makes me a weirdo then so be it

I pretend I am when I am relieving Hamilton Academical of their money.

World Cup though... Hard to call between shitfest or not. Champions League football seems to have emerged strongly in the last 2 or 3 years from a shitfesting stage. Maybe internationals will follow suit?

Euro 2016 was pretty poor though so not hopeful.

European winner again an absolute nap. Quite happy to write off Brazil and Argentina now.

Eta.... VAR to be an utter clusterfuck and fat bald English men in their fifties to get kicked about the streets by much harder arseholes than themselves, followed by even harder Polis.

2 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Bit harsh being called a 'weirdo' for following a team throughout the World Cup, heard of much weirder things. For example, claiming you're pals with Ronaldo.

8 minutes ago, Chinatoon Bairn said:

Bit harsh being called a 'weirdo' for following a team throughout the World Cup, heard of much weirder things. For example, claiming you're pals with Ronaldo.

It's weird to support a team just for the sake of it.  Those of us of a nobler and more enlightened persuasion are content to revel in the festival of football.  Ronaldo says you're a duck btw.

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

European winner again an absolute nap. Quite happy to write off Brazil and Argentina now.

Argentina are top-heavy and will get taken apart by the first decent attacking side they face (see their struggle in qualifying and recent friendly defeats ). But Brazil look like genuine contenders. They've won 15/19 games under Tite and he's managed to bring a lot of solidity without comprising on the attacking side. Crucially, he identified his best XI fairly quickly and has been using the same core of players for over a year, so they look a settled team.

Winner is coming from them, Germany or Spain IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

The rise of Russia’s neo-Nazi football hooligans  (today's Guardian 24.04)

worth a read - mostly about the u-turn in the state's backing of the firms

if you're interested in that sort of thing then the Fare report that is referenced  provides good background info, as does the rest of the site that hosts (and published) it

Boateng and Neuer Injured

Jerome Boateng could miss the World Cup for Germany after suffering a thigh injury in Bayern Munich's Champions League defeat to Real Madrid.

The world champions' goalkeeper Manuel Neuer meanwhile appears to be losing his battle to regain fitness in time for the finals in Russia.

Defensive lynchpin Boateng pulled up after a sprint in the first half of Wednesday's semi-final first leg and had to be helped off the field.

he could be sidelined for four to six weeks. Germany's first World Cup group match is on June 17.

Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes has already ruled Boateng out of the return leg of the semi-final in Madrid next Tuesday.

2-Boateng-Neuer-World-Cup_Domicile_Exterieur_2018_2019_achat_maillot_de_foot_pas_cher

• 3 weeks later...

Archived