Keep/release still undecided?

Two seasons now of mid table performances from Clark, Higgy, Cardle, Morris etc. When AJ took over he punted everyone not under contract and a new manager coming in and being similarly ruthless might give us a wee jolt. 

Who do you fancy for your new manager then, Yogi or Houstie?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep 

Marshall - I think he could play for a bigger club than us possibly lower end of premiership so would like to keep him.

Rooney - Ugh he is a bombscare but his forward runs are very entertaining. I would hope he sorts out his silly defensive errors though.

Mercer - Useful fullback comes in does the job without being flashy. I would keep him.

Carmichael - if he can prove he is over his injury hell. Great player for queens and good to see him back on the pitch. 

Leighfield - keep and should be in my opinion our number 1 keeper unless Martin can suddenly prove he is the better keeper. 

Murray/Bell/Fergusson - are all youth players and i think they should be given a run of games next season however they really need to step up a gear. 

Jacobs - Definite keep 

Brownlie - Better than the season before probably worth it for the consistency in defence. Mind you needs to be better player all round if he kept. 

Thomas and Thomson - Keep please.

Stirling - I want him to get another chance but cant see it happening. 

Punt

Beerman - on loan and wouldn't want to keep to be honest.

Cameron - watched him Saturday nothing special and want to try the market again. 

Rankin - Headless chicken who has flashes of being a player but consistently inconsistent. 

Undecided

The two Toddy - Not seen enough yet but if they play well then yep stay. 

Anyone else I either haven't seen play or don't know enough about and would be unfair to pass judgement. Generally though i think the squad needs a few key additions rather than blank canvas and start again.

Keep McGhee, Robson, Sibbald, Nelson, maybe Longridge and definitely the Yak. Any more than that, then we are in danger of still being haunted by this season’s team rather than creating something new (and we need something new).

Hartley revolution, not evolution. Clean break from the bad bits of this season.

17 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Ours depends massively on what Division we're in. Regardless of that I'd be keen to keep the following:

Scott Gallacher - He's decent. Not Alan Martin decent, but decent nonetheless. Sure he has his moments, but which 'keeper in this league doesn't?
Chris McLaughlin - We're about nine million times better with him in the side.
Andy Dowie - Player of the Year. By some distance.
Stuart Carswell - My man :wub: A guy who turns in the same performance week in/week out.
Mark Stewart - Best striker we have
Kyle Hutton - When he's good he's very, very good. When he's bad he's absolutely Gawd awful. I quite enjoy watching him though.
Jamie Ewings - Perfect number two.
Craig Barr - Him and Dowie are a solid pairing and, although his form has dipped, he's still put in some absolutely heroic showings. Also very, very handsome.

I suspect a couple of guys will probably leave regardless of whether we offer them a deal or not:

Tom Walsh - Really talented footballer, doesn't influence games as much as he should. Would do well in a more attacking team though.
Dimitris Froxylias - International superstars don't stay part-time for long.

If we end up in League 1 then I'd keep the following too:

Grant Gallagher - Proven in that division, will be keen to put two years of not playing behind him.
Calum Gallagher - Loves a goal against a part-time team, and would do well in a front two imo.
Dougie Hill - Hasn't really ever let us down, just not up to Mango and Dowie's level. Would do a good job in League 1.
David Smith - Not a Championship full-back, but he'd be fine in League 1. Plenty of pace and a hard worker.

If we stay up though I'd probably move on the above guys, along with:

David Wilson - I thought he was a strange signing at the time, and he's proven me right. Smashing range of passing, but his overall game is really unbalanced.
Danny Handling - I desperately wanted to like him, but I can't really see what he brings. Plays a few neat passes, but not a lot else. 
Liam Dick - Not a patch on Boomer - especially going forward. Positioning looks really suspect too.
Iain Russell - Heart says keep him and he'll work well with Calum Gallagher in L1, head says there's a reason he retired :(
Christian Nadé - We may not have a choice...
Chris Johnston - What was the point?

Loan Players

Sam Wardrop - Good player, has had this year ruined by injury though. Would happily see him back but reckon he'll head to someone like Morton or QOS next.
Aidan Wilson - Forgot we had him to be honest. Has only played twice and looked nervy both times.
Kevin Nisbet - Takes a lot of undue stick for the penalty miss (last night especially) but hasn't done enough to merit a new deal either with Thistle or ourselves imo.
Liam Burt - Looks handy, another guy I'd expect to see in the Championship next season on-loan, even if we aren't here any more.
Andy Stirling - He seems to only play well for Stevie Aitken, so hopefully we can bring him back permanently. Smashing player to watch when he's on form.

Only a couple I'd disagree with here, I'd move Scott Gallacher into the "if we go down - keep" category. He's not been as calamitous as he was at the beginning of the season in recent weeks, but I'd like to think if we stayed up we could attract someone better. The other for me is Mark Stewart. I wouldn't keep him. I totally agree he's our best striker and I like him but he's also more than likely our top earner and he's spent the last half of the season picking skelfs out of his arse.  Surely there are less injury prone options which we could spend his wage on?

Agree on those you would punt. Don't be shocked if Nisbet is kept on by Thistle though, apparently highly rated there. f**k knows why, League 2 jobber IMO.

Only a couple I'd disagree with here, I'd move Scott Gallacher into the "if we go down - keep" category. He's not been as calamitous as he was at the beginning of the season in recent weeks, but I'd like to think if we stayed up we could attract someone better. The other for me is Mark Stewart. I wouldn't keep him. I totally agree he's our best striker and I like him but he's also more than likely our top earner and he's spent the last half of the season picking skelfs out of his arse.  Surely there are less injury prone options which we could spend his wage on?
Agree on those you would punt. Don't be shocked if Nisbet is kept on by Thistle though, apparently highly rated there. f**k knows why, League 2 jobber IMO.

I can understand that. I’ve always stuck up for Gallacher, but I guess it depends who’s available in the summer. If someone decent comes up (Is David Mitchell out of contract, or Robbie Thomson? Two guys I’ve always liked) then we should aim for them.

I know where your coming from with Stewart too. He’s a smashing player when he’s fit, but his last 90 must’ve been back in November I think. In saying that I’d rather keep him if guys like Nisbet and Greg Morrison are the other options!

Punt

Derek Lyle - presumed to be retiring. Goodnight sweet prince.

John Rankin - Sent to the glue factory.

Scott Mercer - isn’t good enough 

Danny Carmichael- Body is broken, we’ve tried our best but I don’t think we can put a wage on the hope that he suddenly gets healthy.

Andy Stirling - talented player but he isn’t going to be the centre piece like he needs to be confident to cover his flaws. His ceiling is Dumbarton.

Loans:

Dom Thomas - talented player, one good move, a patchy attitude that’ll put off Premiership teams. Could stay here but I suspect he’ll get another chance at someone like Dundee or Hamilton

Joe Thomson - Runs a lot and scores thunderb*****ds, stay forever.

Josh Todd - He probably isn’t good enough for the premiership but St Mirren are losing Morgan so there’s probably little chance of him staying.

Nikolay Todorov - Nah

Kyle Cameron - Nah

Myles Beerman - Nah

Reluctant keeps

Darren Brownlie - it’s a marriage of convenience insisting he’s changed before he does something  very Darren Brownlie. We aren’t getting much better in so another year of being frustrated.

Leighfield,Murray, Fergusson, Bell - Cheap bench fillers before they inevitably go to Annan.

Shaun Rooney - He’s the closest thing to playing Forrest Gump at full back, but he’s an ok back up  and could develop which is probably the kind of player we have to take chances on.

Keep

Jordan Marshall - Young, has already played a lot of games, consistent but not exciting enough for bigger teams. The perfect championship player.

Kyle Jacobs - deserves a season of not playing next to John Rankin, Jake Pickard, Mark Millar, Callum Tapping or Kyle Hutton.

14 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Andy Stirling - talented player but he isn’t going to be the centre piece like he needs to be confident to cover his flaws. His ceiling is Dumbarton.

He's got a lovely set of gnashers too. 

We will be releasing a lot of players this summer, not just cause they’re shite but we need to trim down the squad size.

Keep:
David Mitchell - Under contract and a very decent backup at this level, wouldn’t be a disaster if he was our first choice either.
Jordan McGee - Think we have a year option on his contract. My POTY and really is a class above in this league.
Tommy Robson - Another with a year option. Good player and I like his song.
Tom Taiwo - Big fan of Taiwo but I wouldn’t keep him if he’s one of our highest earners. Shouldn’t be a mainstay in the team but a good player to have around.
Craig Sibbald - Heard a few say we also have a year option, I want Sibbs here for life so it’s a no-brainer.
Louis Longridge - Can play a number of positions and play them well, his work rate will always make him useful at this level.
Alex Jakubiak - Even just back on loan for season but I’m not holding out much hope. Quick, strong and can finish. Will be playing at a higher level next year.
Andy Nelson - Honestly think we have a chance here, on loan or permanently. Hasn’t lit up this league but has done well and only 20.
Undecided: Hazard, 1 of Muirhead & Grant, Tumilty, Kidd, Dunne(just disappeared?)
Contracted but punt: McKee, Blues, Harris, Loy, Shepperd

(Is David Mitchell out of contract, or Robbie Thomson? Two guys I’ve always liked)

David Mitchell is still under contract but Robbie Thomson’s deal is up and it’s pretty much nailed on that he’ll be getting punted.

Keep
Mitchell- Good backup
McGhee- fantastic player
Robson- ^
Sibbs- don’t think he’s done enough to earn a move down south this season, hopefully stays.
King Louis- gets stick for being a bit of a ball hog but it’s been refreshing to see a player who always works hard and is always looking to move us forward. Scored some peaches as well.

Maybes
Kidd- been good at centre mid but doesn’t seem to fit in Hartleys plans anymore. Maybe keep as backup in the centre and at wingback.
Muirhead or Grant- Both could go and I wouldn’t be that upset, Muirheads still shaky as f**k in either position he plays however he’s shit hot at pens. Grants never been the same since his injury. I’d keep one or the other.

Get Rid
Thomson
Mutch
Watson
Welsh
Blues
OHara
McKee
Shepherd
Loy
Harris

Loans
Would love Nelson and Jak back. That’s about it.

5 hours ago, Russ said:

David Mitchell is still under contract but Robbie Thomson’s deal is up and it’s pretty much nailed on that he’ll be getting punted.

Not sure how there's such a low opinion of Thomson he's solid enough and dedicated 

Not sure how there's such a low opinion of Thomson he's solid enough and dedicated 

Makes mistakes constantly, horrendous at commanding his box, and has terrible distribution of the ball, numerous times he’s prevented counter attacks to either taking about 5 minutes to get the ball out or by kicking it out the park completely. He’s a good shot stopper but that’s about it.

Archived