Keep/release still undecided?

At this stage of the season it should be fairly clear which players are likely to be kept and released. For us Dykes, Dobbie, Fordyce, Jacobs, Martin and Stirling are all under contract for another year. Id expect us to be looking to offload Stirling as he was never a regular and is now on loan at Dumbarton.  

Of those out of contract Id expect us to try and retain Marshall, Leighfield, Bell, Gourlay, Brownlie and one of Mercer/Rooney. For me Rooney has to be the one kept. Much more potential, wheras Mercer is very average and abit of a weakling. Id expect us to punt Rankin and Lyle is retiring. Carmichael, Murray, Akubuine and Fergusson are playing for a new deal atm but hard to know either way. If Carmichael can show the Carmichael of old and steer clear of injuries then its a no brainer we keep him! Murray and Fergusson are both too old for 20s football and are at an age now where promising youngster has to become 1st team regular otherwise they will never likely progress. Id be more keen for Fergusson to stay as hes a good hold up player. Perhaps a return to Annan might benefit him short term? Id expect Akubuine will be punted as hes struggling for game time even at lowland level.

Of the loans Lyle is just short term, Beerman I dont think we will have any interest in. Hes not shown much at all and is incredibly one footed. Cameron looks pretty poor so if I were Naysmith Id be punting him. Thomson and Thomas will likely be targeted to keep. Both are at an age where 1st team football is what they are looking for. Thomas has made me eat my words lately but that Thomas for you a typical inconsistant winger. Id expect Todd not to be good enough for the prem so hes very likely both to be keen to stay and for us to be keen on him given hes sort of a local. Todorov still not sure on. Not seen him near enough

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, football maniac said:

I think its safe to assume youll still be in this league. The route to the prem is nigh on impossible for 3/4th place finishers. 

Your attitude stinks, no offence. 

New gk.....says all you need to know about our goalies, tho I believe Mitchell is contracted for next season NP with that

keep Muirhead, McGhee, Robson, both McGhee and Robson we have options on, the rest their time is up either not good enough or gone stale

Mckee and Harris under contract but keep Sibbald(have option on) 50/50 on Kidd which is going somewhere as Id have been 10/90 in getting rid pre his move to centre mid. The rest and Harris could go as far as Im concerned.

Loy under contract but would keep Longridge(even tho he frustrates me) and would love a deal to keep both or one of Nelson or Jak even a season long loan for Jak would suit both parties.

I sense another clear out in the summer with rumours of Hartley fixing up players now for next

Ours depends massively on what Division we're in. Regardless of that I'd be keen to keep the following:

Scott Gallacher - He's decent. Not Alan Martin decent, but decent nonetheless. Sure he has his moments, but which 'keeper in this league doesn't?
Chris McLaughlin - We're about nine million times better with him in the side.
Andy Dowie - Player of the Year. By some distance.
Stuart Carswell - My man :wub: A guy who turns in the same performance week in/week out.
Mark Stewart - Best striker we have
Kyle Hutton - When he's good he's very, very good. When he's bad he's absolutely Gawd awful. I quite enjoy watching him though.
Jamie Ewings - Perfect number two.
Craig Barr - Him and Dowie are a solid pairing and, although his form has dipped, he's still put in some absolutely heroic showings. Also very, very handsome.

I suspect a couple of guys will probably leave regardless of whether we offer them a deal or not:

Tom Walsh - Really talented footballer, doesn't influence games as much as he should. Would do well in a more attacking team though.
Dimitris Froxylias - International superstars don't stay part-time for long.

If we end up in League 1 then I'd keep the following too:

Grant Gallagher - Proven in that division, will be keen to put two years of not playing behind him.
Calum Gallagher - Loves a goal against a part-time team, and would do well in a front two imo.
Dougie Hill - Hasn't really ever let us down, just not up to Mango and Dowie's level. Would do a good job in League 1.
David Smith - Not a Championship full-back, but he'd be fine in League 1. Plenty of pace and a hard worker.

If we stay up though I'd probably move on the above guys, along with:

David Wilson - I thought he was a strange signing at the time, and he's proven me right. Smashing range of passing, but his overall game is really unbalanced.
Danny Handling - I desperately wanted to like him, but I can't really see what he brings. Plays a few neat passes, but not a lot else. 
Liam Dick - Not a patch on Boomer - especially going forward. Positioning looks really suspect too.
Iain Russell - Heart says keep him and he'll work well with Calum Gallagher in L1, head says there's a reason he retired :(
Christian Nadé - We may not have a choice...
Chris Johnston - What was the point?

Loan Players

Sam Wardrop - Good player, has had this year ruined by injury though. Would happily see him back but reckon he'll head to someone like Morton or QOS next.
Aidan Wilson - Forgot we had him to be honest. Has only played twice and looked nervy both times.
Kevin Nisbet - Takes a lot of undue stick for the penalty miss (last night especially) but hasn't done enough to merit a new deal either with Thistle or ourselves imo.
Liam Burt - Looks handy, another guy I'd expect to see in the Championship next season on-loan, even if we aren't here any more.
Andy Stirling - He seems to only play well for Stevie Aitken, so hopefully we can bring him back permanently. Smashing player to watch when he's on form.

I’d keep McGhee, Robson, Grant, Sibbald & Longridge at most... Extended loan for The Yak if poss.  

Given Hartley isn’t one to dick about, if he  - and we - are serious about making a credible effort next season then it’ll be another  mass  clearout. Will be sorry to see a couple go, TT for one, but needs must.  

Would keep:

David Mitchell (even if he was out of contact I’d have been offering him a new deal)

Jordan McGhee
Tommy Robson
Aaron Muirhead

Lewis Kidd
Craig Sibbald
Tom Taiwo

Louis Longridge
Alex Jakubiak (if possible)
Andy Nelson (if possible)

Punt:

Robbie Thomson
Connor Hazard (not extent his loan)
Robbie Mutch

Peter Grant
Paul Watson

Cameron Blues
Sean Welsh
Ryan Blair (not extent his loan)
Joe McKee (still got a year left but would be letting him go)

Alex Harris (unfortunately he’s got a year left on his deal and I doubt anyone else will be happy to sign him up)
Rory Loy (another one with a year left that should be free to find a new club)
Scott Shepherd (inexplicably still under contract for next season)

Undecided:

Reghan Tumilty - We could probably upgrade in the summer but I wouldn’t mind taking him full-time tbh.

Kevin O’Hara - He’s not progressed anywhere near like we thought he would after his breakthrough season a couple of years ago although he’s not had an awful lot of playing time.

Keep everyone

Realistically though, sadly this team will probably be torn apart at the end of the season with many probably signing elsewhere. 

All depends on what division we are in though, do the unimaginable and get promoted we may have a chance of keeping a fair few of these players. 

I think we have crocked keeper Murdoch, bench warmer Andy Ryan and Alloa's bench warmer Callum Smith under contract for next season. I'd be tempted to tell the rest of the players and coaches to f**k off but would be happy for Lee Ashcroft and big M'Voto to stay. 

13 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I think we have crocked keeper Murdoch, bench warmer Andy Ryan and Alloa's bench warmer Callum Smith under contract for next season. I'd be tempted to tell the rest of the players and coaches to f**k off but would be happy for Lee Ashcroft and big M'Voto to stay. 

Contracted until next year at least are Murdoch, Williamson, Ryan and Smith, as well as Gill and Morrison. Everyone else is out of contract come May.

Agree about Ashcroft, the rest are a meh.  All depends on where we finish this season, and who is then in charge for next.

1 hour ago, ExxyJj said:

Contracted until next year at least are Murdoch, Williamson, Ryan and Smith, as well as Gill and Morrison. Everyone else is out of contract come May.

Agree about Ashcroft, the rest are a meh.  All depends on where we finish this season, and who is then in charge for next.

Two seasons now of mid table performances from Clark, Higgy, Cardle, Morris etc. When AJ took over he punted everyone not under contract and a new manager coming in and being similarly ruthless might give us a wee jolt. 

Archived