Dumbarton v Livi

15 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

If it were me, id be playing a 4-5-1 so id go for

Alexander
McMillan Gallagher Buchanan Longridge

De Vita Jacobs Byrne Pittman Cadden

Hardie

If we utilise that I reckon we could score then revert to 442 later in the game with Miller on for De Vita as Hoppy loves a De Vita sub.

I don't think Hardie up front would work unless we get the midfielders supporting him, but we tend to play long and direct balls towards him and he'd be too easily marked out the game doing that as a lone striker. Unless Dumbarton were caught on the break anyway, which I don't think would be likely.

You saw the difference immediately when Miller came on for Boyd a couple of games ago too, Miller and Hardie link up really well with Miller being the target man, he wins almost every header. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure why so many seem to be omitting Robinson; one of our best attacking midfielders IMO.

Also I don't think one upfront will work against a defence that includes Mango Barr. He'll mark Harding so closely that sometimes you'll think he's trying to climb into his shirt.

Also it appears that most of the Sons front line are either injured or not available so maybe three at the back is the better option?

I don't think Hardie up front would work unless we get the midfielders supporting him, but we tend to play long and direct balls towards him and he'd be too easily marked out the game doing that as a lone striker. Unless Dumbarton were caught on the break anyway, which I don't think would be likely.
You saw the difference immediately when Miller came on for Boyd a couple of games ago too, Miller and Hardie link up really well with Miller being the target man, he wins almost every header. 

I agree that Miller and Hardie are the first choices. I'm basing my idea of a squad based dokey on the fact we are missing 2 of our main CB's and placing a wingback at CB does not fill me with much joy so id rather revert to 4 at the back.
But we dominate games in the midfield with 5 playing so stuck with 5 rather than a 4 and 2 up top.

Just now, LogieLivi said:

I agree that Miller and Hardie are the first choices. I'm basing my idea of a squad based dokey on the fact we are missing 2 of our main CB's and placing a wingback at CB does not fill me with much joy so id rather revert to 4 at the back.
But we dominate games in the midfield with 5 playing so stuck with 5 rather than a 4 and 2 up top.

Yeah McMillan is untested playing CB but he's got the build for it and looks good defensively so i'd risk playing him there so we can stick to our usual formation which gives us a better shape in attack.

How Hoppy will set us out is as much of an interest as anything, but3 or 4 at the back I think we've enough about us to get the win.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Not sure why so many seem to be omitting Robinson; one of our best attacking midfielders IMO.

Also I don't think one upfront will work against a defence that includes Mango Barr. He'll mark Harding so closely that sometimes you'll think he's trying to climb into his shirt.

Also it appears that most of the Sons front line are either injured or not available so maybe three at the back is the better option?

He scored a goal in our 4-1 win over them too, def would start Robinson tomorrow, just a shame he's been out a couple of times with injuries or he'd have been into double figures with his goals.

He scored a goal in our 4-1 win over them too, def would start Robinson tomorrow, just a shame he's been out a couple of times with injuries or he'd have been into double figures with his goals.

I'm actually gonna agree with you on trying McMillan at CB. He does look comfy in defence and does have the height certainly but also has a bit of pace. Would like to see him more for the rest of the season maybe starting ahead of De Vita or Mullin. Just to see what he can properly do on the wings.

Alexander
McMillan Buchanan Gallagher
Frizzell Pittman Byrne Jacobs De Vita
Hardie Miller

Could always swap Frizzell for Jacobs and play Cadden out wide but I feel like we dominate games more with Jacobs in the middle. Here's hoping Nadé doesn't boot him into the air again...

Bench to be something like 

Maley, Cadden, Robinson, Longridge, Boyd, Mullin, Thompson

Looking forward to seeing how Frizzell does, he'll possibly start on the bench to get accustomed to the way of playing and start v Dunfermline on Tuesday but a run out in the side wouldn't hurt him

Can’t see Frizzell starting tbh, would be more than happy with De Vita and Cadden out wide as I feel our best performances post-Christmas have come with them in the side (away to Falkirk, home to St Mirren). McMillan and Buchanan in for Halkett and Lithgow and the rest of the team picks itself.

Would happily take any sort of win but I’m hoping we’ll finish this with a bit to spare.

With Frizzell only signing yesterday I'd be surprised if he starts, unless he's been training with us for a while before the deal went through. Also not sure who he'd replace, think he'd be a very good option from the bench though. 

Just now, Boghead ranter said:

Wilson at RB?  Or a change to 3-5-2?

I thought Mango at RB and Dill and Wilson in the middle.

Either way there's no Andy Dowie qnd there is Liam Dick, so that's not wonderful.

Is Russell injured or just not good enough? Looks like a 4-4-2 from us.

Alexander; McMillan, Buchanan, Gallagher, Longridge; De Vita, Byrne, Pittman, Cadden; Hardie, Miller.

Subs: Maley, Mullin, Boyd, Jacobs, Robinson, Thompson.

4 minutes ago, sonsism said:

I think Gallagher has actually looked okay up top recently but the fact we're relying on him at this stage in the season says it all.

Let's be honest, there are circumstances which have changed things with Nade. Russell (as terrible as he has been anyway) is injured and Mark Stewart must be some distance from fitness as he didn't even get off the bench on Tuesday. Nisbet is the only other option and he hasn't actually been all that bad. He gets a harder time of it due to the penalty miss but he has been a bit hot and cold in my opinion. 

Let's be honest, there are circumstances which have changed things with Nade. Russell (as terrible as he has been anyway) is injured and Mark Stewart must be some distance from fitness as he didn't even get off the bench on Tuesday. Nisbet is the only other option and he hasn't actually been all that bad. He gets a harder time of it due to the penalty miss but he has been a bit hot and cold in my opinion. 
Even disregarding the off the pitch stuff Nade has looked well off the mark this season. Big guy is just done I feel.

Last two seasons we've had someone come in and get the goals to keep us clear of the play-offs - Nade then Vaughan. Doesn't look likely this season but maybe today we'll see an unlikely hero.

Archived