May and June face Peru & Mexico

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Shinnie, Mulgrew and Fraser are all options at LWB, as well as Stevenson.

I don't think Mulgrew has the legs to play there. 

On Fraser, I just don't like wing-backs playing on their "weaker" side, but that's just a personal thing. 

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

I don't think Mulgrew has the legs to play there. 

On Fraser, I just don't like wing-backs playing on their "weaker" side, but that's just a personal thing. 

Totally agree.  At full back it's fine not wing back as they're your only width.

Totally agree.  At full back it's fine not wing back as they're your only width.

Our first choice back line moving forward is going to be something like

McKenna Mulgrew Tierney

Fraser Robertson

Fraser I can see being first choice right wing back. Between him and Paterson really maybe even Forrest. Not a fan of Mcleish formation as think we have really strong wide midfielders like Phillips Fraser Forrest and can see more and more players playing out of position or not there best position.

Wouldn’t mind playing that style away from home but at home I actually liked the formation Strachan played 4 2 3 1 with 2 sitting midfielders and 3 more attacking midfielders.

8 minutes ago, skippy2015 said:

Our first choice back line moving forward is going to be something like

McKenna Mulgrew Tierney

Fraser Robertson

Fraser I can see being first choice right wing back. Between him and Paterson really maybe even Forrest. Not a fan of Mcleish formation as think we have really strong wide midfielders like Phillips Fraser Forrest and can see more and more players playing out of position or not there best position.

Wouldn’t mind playing that style away from home but at home I actually liked the formation Strachan played 4 2 3 1 with 2 sitting midfielders and 3 more attacking midfielders.

Don't disagree with any of this except Hendry for mulgrew with McKenna in the middle.

That's Ritchie withdrawn according to Sky Sports, because of a knee injury allegedly, is he the first???

Don't think he'll be last!!!

8 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Ryan Fraser out too now, I imagine we'll be in B team territory before too long.

Pretty much already there. Total number of caps in the squad now is 119, or just over 5 per player. Only two with >11 caps (A McGregor and Mulgrew).

Not arsed about Ritchie's withdrawal, but Fraser's is annoying - he's a player who should be in double figures caps wise by now but is struggling to get going for us and only has a couple of caps as he heads into the middle of his career

Number of withdrawals and non selection due to clubs are annoying but not at all surprising. The Italy and France games in 2016 did little to boost morale ahead of the Euros. Important that this trip is put to better use in building bonds off the park. Understandable the likes of Griffiths getting operated on but Ritchie constantly withdrawing is hardly good for team building.

Given the altitude issues and reserve squad this could be an utter hiding.

Feel sorry for the players - they’re going to be struggling hugely physically.

McLeish was quoted as saying we will arrive the day before and may have oxygen tanks at the side of the park. We won’t be remotely acclimatised and will be a physical mismatch.

Taking on these games was lunacy.

Found Michael O'Neill interesting when he said on Sportsound that you need more club buy in to succeed at international level. In the last 15-20 years, there's been little of that. Little vision beyond each club's own interests. Hence both the national team and club teams being left for dead in Europe.

Agreed,absolutely mental if we are arriving the day before as you say.Takes me three days to get over a flight to America.But on the other hand what a fantastic trip and experience for the players.Scottish fa deserve a pat on the back on this one 

Yeah, he said that out sports science guys have been looking into it. Apparently the day before is preferable to three days before (if you don’t have the two weeks to properly acclimatise)

Assuming three days being there may deplete oxygen stores, whereas just getting in and out might give them a better chance of not being absolutely knackered within five minutes.

Be interested to hear if that’s actually the case.

Archived