Fraser
Forrest
Phillips
Burke
Snodgrass

Griffiths
McBurnie
Cummings or one of S Fletch/Martin/Rhodes, depending on who's fit and on form

Christie, Cairney, McDonald, McLean, Mulgrew, Murphy all failed to do enough in the recent two games to buy a place in the above selection IMO

Of the old regulars who didn't take part in the recent dbl-header, it feels 'wrong' to leave out the likes of Fletcher, Morrison, Hanley and McArthur, but I think we need to continue to prove in the friendlies that we can perform well without them. Definitely a chance of a place for them in the competitive games so long as they're on good form.

Of the other old regulars: Anya, Marshall, Russell Martin,  Bannan, Ritchie, Naismith - nah, they've had their time and done well in places but they're not the answer going fwd - unless we are short of numbers thru injury etc.

Quite scary how few options we have up front. Esp. in a few years once Fletcher, Martin and Rhodes are all well past 30.

McGregor
Gordon (if fit)
Archer

Hendry
McKenna
Tierney
Robertson
Berra
Lindsay
Souttar
Paterson
Douglas
McGinn
McTominay
Armstrong
McGregor
Fraser
Forrest
Phillips
Burke
Snodgrass

Griffiths
McBurnie
Cummings or one of S Fletch/Martin/Rhodes, depending on who's fit and on form

Christie, Cairney, McDonald, McLean, Mulgrew, Murphy all failed to do enough in the recent two games to buy a place in the above selection IMO

Of the old regulars who didn't take part in the recent dbl-header, it feels 'wrong' to leave out the likes of Fletcher, Morrison, Hanley and McArthur, but I think we need to continue to prove in the friendlies that we can perform well without them. Definitely a chance of a place for them in the competitive games so long as they're on good form.
Of the other old regulars: Anya, Marshall, Russell Martin,  Bannan, Ritchie, Naismith - nah, they've had their time and done well in places but they're not the answer going fwd - unless we are short of numbers thru injury etc.
Quite scary how few options we have up front. Esp. in a few years once Fletcher, Martin and Rhodes are all well past 30.

Griffiths will be around for a few years yet and hopefully mcburnie and Cummings improve year on year.

Also jack Atchison might break into Celtic team in future. Usually 2 or 3 players emerge every year hopefully they are strikers lol

McGregor

Hendry McKenna Mulgrew

Fraser                                      Robertson 

McTominay   Armstrong 

McGregor 

Griffiths                Phillips 

6 minutes ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

Scotland should look new blood midfielder, keeper, striker and  right full back

For right back I am hoping Ralston comes good, or Bardsley sees the light and comes back

For right back I am hoping Ralston comes good, or Bardsley sees the light and comes back

Bardsley never went away, for whatever reason WGS just didn't pick him!!!

I suspect that most of the Celtic players will be left at home for this tour, and any other Rangers/Aberdeen/whoever else is in Europe guys will only be selected if their managers allow it.

I think this is possible and if it does happen a bit scandalous. If we did manage to qualify for a major tournament, these players would be on the plane. Can't see the difference.

If the players refuse to go, then that would be "scandalous", but I think it makes a lot of sense to give some of these guys a bit of extra time off ahead of European games.  I'm sure McLeish will consult with the relevant club managers and come to a sensible arrangement - it's a win-win, because those guys get a wee break, and McLeish gets to look at some other players.  That extra couple of weeks of rest might end up being beneficial come the qualifiers next June.

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If the players refuse to go, then that would be "scandalous", but I think it makes a lot of sense to give some of these guys a bit of extra time off ahead of European games.  I'm sure McLeish will consult with the relevant club managers and come to a sensible arrangement - it's a win-win, because those guys get a wee break, and McLeish gets to look at some other players.  That extra couple of weeks of rest might end up being beneficial come the qualifiers next June.

I don't think it would ever get to the point where they refuse to go anyway.  If it came to it, they'd either be called up and then be withdrawn by the club for "reasons" or some undisclosed injury, or they simply wouldn't get called up at all, with varying degrees of fluff as to why.

Hopefully it doesn't get to that point though.  Surely we can get it done a bit more sensibly than that, leaving out those that need the break and including people that deserve a chance in their place.  It's certainly better that than having a farce of a squad getting decimated by players who have clearly been told by their clubs what they should do.  Only unfortunate thing is that these are going to be two very difficult games, expect a second (or third or fourth) string side might get a bit of a cuffing, particularly post-season.  But it gives others a chance, and potentially means we have a far bigger pool of players that McLeish has actively had a look at before the real important games start in September.

Of the Celtic guys, I can see Tierney, Armstrong, McGregor and Forrest being 'unavailable'. Griffiths and Gordon, because of their long injury layoffs, *might* be better placed to join up with the squad.

Hopefully McGinn, Fraser, Phillips, Douglas and Robertson would be there too to keep a degree of momentum and continuity from the Hungary game.

If this was a European dbl-header (i.e. 2 games but with easy travel), do folk still think Celtic would be pissy about it?

13 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I'd leave the Celtic players at home, it's not worth the fall out which would occur and the bad atmosphere it would create.

I'd do the complete opposite.  Lay a marker down that you're not going to be pissed about by them, call up all 8 even'injured' ones to be examined by the Scotland doctor as you're entitled to do and play all fit ones in both games.

46 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

I'd do the complete opposite.  Lay a marker down that you're not going to be pissed about by them, call up all 8 even'injured' ones to be examined by the Scotland doctor as you're entitled to do and play all fit ones in both games.

and their club would then withdraw them injured for the competitive games.

Archived