Alloa vs Arbroath

Andy Graham was superb for Alloa I thought, the big b*****d :(

Thought the ref was woeful and gave us absolutely f**k all on the day, and obviously Alloa got extremely lucky with the winner that took a huge deflection. I wouldn't blame David Hutton whatsoever for any of the goals yesterday, nothing he could do at all.

Tactically - in all the years I've watched us I've never seen us set up with literally no wingers and a somewhat bizarre asymmetrical formation. With ToB out, and Alloa have destroyed us down the flanks in our previous game here, as well as Albion targeting us in the same manner on Tuesday and Dick did the right thing to set up with a back 4 in my opinion to give us more width at the back and counter the issue down the flanks. However, after getting that right he decided not to put anyone wide on the left, and put Michael McKenna wide on the right. On the left, this meant we had exactly the same problem as before with no-one to watch the overlap and yet again we're outnumbered on our left hand side. We'd have been just as well playing the 3-5-2 as usual with wingers and it would have given us as much protection as the 4-4-2 (with the narrowest midfield ever) did. After getting the 4 at the back right, it was very frustrating to see us set the other 6 up like we did. Yet again I come away from a game feeling our formation/ tactics and substitutions could and should have been better.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, scillybirder said:

Anyone know what the crowd was in the Arbroath end? Can add at least 20 for those who ended up in the wrong section due to inept stewards

How can you end up in the wrong section at Alloa :lol:

You go in either the away turnstile or home turnstile...and you walk to the away end regardless of which..

Youd think after blowing a two goal lead the previous week that the half dozen or so Arbroath boys would refrain from giving it big licks about the opposition being so f*ckin sh*te and the game being so easy...but they quitened down fairly quickly. Bit embarrassing for them.

Anyway, besides that it was a decent game- had a bit of everything and i enjoyed it when it turned a bit feisty at times. Good character to come back but in reality there was always goals in us even at 2 down. 

Kirkpatrick is now really hitting his groove, and Hetherington followed up his great performance at Cliftonhill with another deserved man of the match. Put his marker down all over the pitch. Ross Stewart also excellent. Didnt win everything in the air, but always a presence and didnt give the Arbroath defence a minutes respite. 

Need to be a bit stronger at the back sometimes, but Arbroath do have some good players. Number 9 McIntosh as mentioned stood out. We have Daryl Meggatt not too far away and I wonder if the manager will be tempted to throw him in if he gets back to match fitness.

A good three points, but expect both teams to make playoffs next weekend

Our lack of defensive cover was exposed yesterday. With ToB out we played Goldy out of position at LB where he struggled against the impressive Smith. Given that we have plenty of good midfielders and attackers it's a pity that there are no central defensive options. A priority for the next window I hope.

Our lack of defensive cover was exposed yesterday. With ToB out we played Goldy out of position at LB where he struggled against the impressive Smith. Given that we have plenty of good midfielders and attackers it's a pity that there are no central defensive options. A priority for the next window I hope.
I raised this exact issue in January. Was basicaly screamed at and given a whole breakdown of who would fill in if 1 player was out they would be replaced with hime, if another was out he would be replaced with this etc etc.

Its the Arbroath way to have very few defenders in our team.

I raised this exact issue in January. Was basicaly screamed at and given a whole breakdown of who would fill in if 1 player was out they would be replaced with hime, if another was out he would be replaced with this etc etc.

You don’t know what you’ve got till it’s gone. Turns out TOB is a huge loss. Seems like he’s the only one in our squad who is irreplaceable?

we won the league last season playing basically a 4 4 1 1 formation totally agree with simon on our team set up is wrong. when doris got injured we lost probably the best hold up striker in the league so yes we had to change our formation . but why didnt we look for another striker in the doris mould instead we give wallace a 2 year deal and has been so ineffective.

I gave examples of who could come in for who but trust me I wasn’t screaming? [emoji102]

I think Yule and Gold especially have shown that they can slot into defence well, just as well as any other defensive squad player that would be willing to sit on the bench all season could for me. Think Gold was fine yesterday but Yule really struggled.

Worth noting that even with ToB and our top defenders we still lost 5 here just a few weeks ago. Alloa are a good side and seem to have the better of us this season.

It’s very frustrating after what happened last week but I think yesterday was totally different. Last week we were all over Stranraer and then just crumbled, yesterday was end to end the full 90 minutes and we were very fortunate to get a 2 goal lead. Third goal would’ve probably killed it but as soon as it went 2-1 it was game on.

In the end either team could’ve won it but Alloa got the break with the winner.

1 hour ago, Big lichtie said:

we won the league last season playing basically a 4 4 1 1 formation totally agree with simon on our team set up is wrong. when doris got injured we lost probably the best hold up striker in the league so yes we had to change our formation . but why didnt we look for another striker in the doris mould instead we give wallace a 2 year deal and has been so ineffective.

I think that's a wee bit harsh on Wallace. He's not the physical equal of Doris but tries to play a similar role. 2 decent striker' s goals in the last 2 games and plenty of good link up play. I think we need to cut him some slack. DC clearly rates him to give him the contract.

I think that's a wee bit harsh on Wallace. He's not the physical equal of Doris but tries to play a similar role. 2 decent striker' s goals in the last 2 games and plenty of good link up play. I think we need to cut him some slack. DC clearly rates him to give him the contract.

Wallace was good yesterday, very frustrating at times though, too soft in 50/50s and throws himself to the deck to easy when the going gets tough. If he just had a bit more fight about him you couldn’t really complain about him at all. Good link up play and really great finish.

1320 you have nailed it bud to weak up front cant handle the physical side of the game and dives get him to f... for me but dc will know best a 2 year deal WTF

He’s a good player I think and last few weeks he’s started to look it. IC was having a go at him when he was going down too softly just before he got subbed yesterday so hopefully he learns from it. Took away from an otherwise good performance.

Must be frustrating for other guys in the team, especially the likes of McKenna and Mcintosh who take all sorts of hits and just keep going

As a remote supporter I have to rely on the stats as well as highlights and a match or two per season. Doris is a Lichties hero for good reasons but he’s a 10-12 league goals a season striker, so not prolific. Wallace has averaged a goal every 2 matches in his career v Doris every 3 matches (and they both take penalties), so I can see why DC rates him.

Entertaining game. We started quite well and it took Arbroath 20 minutes to offer any kind of threat. Then they were 2-0 up after 22 mins :lol:. Second goal in particular was poor from our point of view, although well taken. Credit to our players, they got one back quickly and with the attacking threat in our team we are always capable of scoring. Got lucky with the the winner but think we deserved to win. Didn't think the ref was hard on Arbroath (or Alloa) either. If anything he was lenient, could easily have been more yellows in that game.

Our defence wasn't quite right. All good players but perhaps not working as a unit as well as it should. Was good to see Darryl back on the bench but probably asking too much for him to get back in for the play-offs. I'd be tempted  to do it though. Or maybe Jim has a masterplan to unleash McKeown for the play-offs, he is certainly well rested.

Thought Smith took his goal well and worked hard. Hopefully he can build on that. However, we need to be going with Kev, Kirky and Flanny behind Stewart when the big games come around. 

you had better stay remote mate stats is that what you judge a player on. have you seen doris play stat man have you seen wallace play if not your opinion is worth f**k all stick to your stats and GTF

Cheers. Love you too.

just go away and let us true lichtie fans discuss the team we love and support. you keep to your stats mate get up to gayfield pay your cash if not you opinions mean nothing to me or lichtie fans

I’m guessing I was a Lichties fan and season ticket holder before you were born so keep your abuse to yourself. Why so touchy about a simple football chat?

your guessing have been a season ticket holder for 30 years bud done my time in the army still paid my season ticket even though in different parts of the world you keep looking at your stats mate and come to a game if you can be bothered

Archived