Question for Garrellburn

PRICEY

I’m looking for any information about a Stirlingshire Junior cup final,possibly 1960.The match was played between Kilsyth and Grangemouth at Brockville.Any information would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance.

From my records I see that we played Grangemouth United in a Falkirk & District cup final in 1959 on 12th June beating them 3-1. Scorers Kenny Knox (2) and Walter Carlyle. It had taken us two games to dispose of Dunipace in the semi, played on 3/6 &6/6. Away 2-2 draw, scorers Alex Querrie & Walter Carlyle. Replay at Duncansfield 8-2, scorers John Glover (3) Kenny Knox(2) Jim McCrae(2) & Walter Carlyle. Incidentally that was the last goal that Alex Querrie scored in junior football as he retired at the end of that season having scored 260 goals for us + an unknown number for Bo'ness & Forth Rangers.  Possibly around 300 altogether.

In season 1959-60 we again played Grangemouth United in the Stirlingshire cup final on 14/5/60 winning 2-0, Scorer Meffan (2) And finally we again played Grangemouth in the Stirlingshire cup final on 6/5/61 losing 4-3, our scorers were  Henderson(2) and Wilson. That was the final year of the Stirlingshire cup and we played in the Dunbartonshire cup for a couple of years after that.

As far as I can remember all the finals were played at Brockville, certanily up till 1960 they were.

A huge thanks John.Yesterday I was talking to one the Grangemouth players,Danny Smith.He had a recollection of scoring against Kilsyth in a Stirlingshire cup final at Brockville when he was 16.It was his last match before signing for Dunfermline.He did say he thought it was 1961.I’ll pas the information onto him.Again many thanks

22 hours ago, PRICEY said:

A huge thanks John.Yesterday I was talking to one the Grangemouth players,Danny Smith.He had a recollection of scoring against Kilsyth in a Stirlingshire cup final at Brockville when he was 16.It was his last match before signing for Dunfermline.He did say he thought it was 1961.I’ll pas the information onto him.Again many thanks

After some further digging I have found the repoprt in the Kilsyth Chronicle regarding the game he played in.  It was the 1961 Stirlingshire cup final, played at Brockville and it says, quote " Hamilton (our centre half) was found wanting when fast raiding forwards, ably led by long - shankit, 16 years old Smith, swept down on him".

Smith scored a first half equaliser for Grangemouth in 27 minutes to make it 1-1 at the interval. Gillespie put Grangemouth ahead four minutes into the second half (I wonder if that was Denis Gillespie who played for Alloa in the 60's?) and Smith got another a minute later and Rankin got a fourth with 12 minutes left. Kilsyth pulled it back to 4-3 with two late goals from  Wilson and Henderson.

Teams were: Kilsyth; Dempster, Cowie, Gray, Snow, Hamilton, Forrest, Henderson, Paterson, Croly, Cairns, Wilson.

Grangemouth; Blair, Bulloch, Brown, Dobbie, Stewart, Nichol, Gibb, Gillespie, Smith, Rankin, Easton.

Referee J Smart Bo'ness

Archived