Wishaw Juniors - Scottish Junior Cup Semi-finals

Wishaw Secretary

3 minutes ago, ex-german exile said:

Not a classic at The Beltane today. Wishaw started poorly, don't know if the occasion got to them, but they made it easy for Hurlford in the first half. Ford controlled the game and well deserved their lead thru Danny Mitchell. It could have been more, but the post and the home keeper Sandy Thompson kept them at bay.

Second half was a different story. Wishaw started to play and press, with Dan Kindlan causing all sorts of problems on the right flank. They thought they had equalised, but it was incorrectly chopped off for offside. Ford had chances second half too, the best when Tiny Watt was foiled by another top save by Thomson.

Wishaw probably thought they didn't deserve to lose and it's only half time, so on to Blair Park for the deciding leg.

The banter in the bar after the game was good and Wishaw's hospitality in general was excellent. Hopefully we can reciprocate next week.

Crowd?

1 hour ago, Bluenortherner said:

If that was the case Junior fitba is deed!

For a club that played in front of one man and two dugs for many years it is not bad considering Motherwell were playing in a semi final today. Hopefully a god few will follow them through to Hurlford next week as with only one goal in it they must still have a good chance.

1 hour ago, Bluenortherner said:

If that was the case Junior fitba is deed!

500 is a decent crowd considering there was ONE shop in the toon that had a sign in the window wishing the team good luck!

Maybe, just maybe, if more time was spent promoting the 2018 team and less time spent talking about the 19  - f#*king - 35 team the boys would have a better support!

Anyhow, the guys, I'm sure, will give it everything they have next week in Hurlford...... upwards and onwards!

COYW!!!

29 minutes ago, garrellburn said:

For a club that played in front of one man and two dugs for many years it is not bad considering Motherwell were playing in a semi final today. Hopefully a god few will follow them through to Hurlford next week as with only one goal in it they must still have a good chance.

I wouldnt quote the motherwell semi today if i were u. Only 18750 at lanarkshires doorstep this aft. Pretty poor tbh

I enjoyed my day. A decent game and a good atmosphere inside the ground. I was left with the impression of it being a big day for a small club. It was well organised and there was a smashing programme. I think Wishaw have much to be pleased about and of course still have a decent chance of reaching the final.

21 hours ago, ex-german exile said:

Not a classic at The Beltane today. Wishaw started poorly, don't know if the occasion got to them, but they made it easy for Hurlford in the first half. Ford controlled the game and well deserved their lead thru Danny Mitchell. It could have been more, but the post and the home keeper Sandy Thompson kept them at bay.

Second half was a different story. Wishaw started to play and press, with Dan Kindlan causing all sorts of problems on the right flank. They thought they had equalised, but it was incorrectly chopped off for offside. Ford had chances second half too, the best when Tiny Watt was foiled by another top save by Thomson.

Wishaw probably thought they didn't deserve to lose and it's only half time, so on to Blair Park for the deciding leg.

The banter in the bar after the game was good and Wishaw's hospitality in general was excellent. Hopefully we can reciprocate next week.

That's a pretty fair summary of yesterday's game when it did indeed look like the occasion may have got to some of the younger Wishy players.However,the second half was,as you say ,a different story with the home team bossing the mid-field and young Kindlan showing his true ability on the right and setting up a couple of decent chances around the hour mark.Tbf, though, your7 and 11also looked lively and created more than a few problems for the Wishy defence.

This tie is far from over and since Wishaw will also have the jimbo factor in their favour next Saturday(he's tipping Hurlford! :thumsup2),I'll stick with my Wishy v Talbot final forecast.:)

Edited by tommyboy

19 hours ago, dwl123 said:

I wouldnt quote the motherwell semi today if i were u. Only 18750 at lanarkshires doorstep this aft. Pretty poor tbh

Doesn't matter what the crowd was as 90% of Lanarkshire support one of the Old Firm.

Every Motherwell fan that could be was at Hampden  and that undoubtably affected the Wishaw crowd.

Still, 500 is not bad for 2 teams not known for their large support.

7 hours ago, tommyboy said:

That's a pretty fair summary of yesterday's game when it did indeed look like the occasion may have got to some of the younger Wishy players.However,the second half was,as you say ,a different story with the home team bossing the mid-field and young Kindlan showing his true ability on the right and setting up a couple of decent chances around the hour mark.Tbf, though, your7 and 11also looked lively and created more than a few problems for the Wishy defence.

This tie is far from over and since Wishaw will also have the jimbo factor in their favour next Saturday(he's tipping Hurlford! :thumsup2),I'll stick with my Wishy v Talbot final forecast.

Yes, biggest game of their lives so not surprising they were jittery. At least they didn't crumble when the Ford got their goal and, as you say, really came into it in the first 15-20 minutes of the 2nd half.  Hurlford certainly have the advantage in terms of strength and physique (as you would expect with a top junior side) but all credit to the nippy Wishy lads for giving their defenders a real run for their money after half time. Although he's now at the veteran stage, I thought Allan Jenkins (the Ford no 6) showed all his ex-senior experience and will be a big threat again next week (he has a record of scoring in big games, like the Irish Cup Final a few years back). Having said this, if Wishy play as they did in the 2nd half, should be a good contest.

I'd certainly agree with ex-German exile about it not being a classic, but having just watched the highlights of Talbot v Lochee, I'm not sure it was all that much better. Interesting to read that you thought Wishy's disallowed goal should have stood, I was behind there so couldn't really tell, if there are any highlights posted of this game I must have another look. Overall I thought the referee was pretty good and Wishy have had a few rubs of the green during the cup run (you need them to get this far) so I guess you just have to take the rough with the smooth. Looking forward to visiting Blair Park next week, would have preferred to have been on level terms but not mission impossible either. Am staying in Killie so won't have far to go to drown my sorrows and if Wishy do win will likely be floating along the River Irvine!

12 hours ago, John MacLean said:

I enjoyed my day. A decent game and a good atmosphere inside the ground. I was left with the impression of it being a big day for a small club. It was well organised and there was a smashing programme. I think Wishaw have much to be pleased about and of course still have a decent chance of reaching the final.

Glad you had a good time, it was nice to see people from further afield there, I was standing next to a chap from Los Angeles (although I don't think he jetted in specially for the game), hopefully the 2nd leg will also attract some folk along beyond the hard-core supporters of both teams. The weather is seemingly set fair for next weekend so should be a grand day out.

Second Leg programmes available to pre-order (Will be dispatched as soon as collected from printers, so mint condition).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142759213306?ViewItem=&item=142759213306

Being sold on behalf of the club. Avoid disappoinment on the day or collect souvenir if you can't make it.

FrontPage.png

I have just watched the Wishaw "goal" that was disallowed on Saturday........ my opinion is that the goal should have been given.........

I have played and paused the video several times and at 0:06, (when the ball starts to move forward) and for me,  Hurlford's No 8 appears to be playing Wishaw's No9 onside.

I used the "play" and "pause" buttons loads to see when the ball started to move in a forward direction.................. plus, another telling factor for me is that none of the Hurlford guys claimed for offside - they looked gutted that Wishaw had scored..........

what do you reckon folks?