Wishaw Juniors - Scottish Junior Cup Semi-finals

Wishaw Secretary

On 17/04/2018 at 13:53, wishyman said:

For me the only difference in the game was the goal. Ford never looked two divisions above Wishy.

Funny moment was when Ford hard man fan wanted to fight with Wishaw keeper, the lassie behind the goal told him to, " f**k off Frankenstein" he sensibly took her advice and promptly about turned.

Exactly this wm,but should we really have expected that they would? After all,as Darren Henderson pointed out last week,Wishaw had previously dismissed Rob Roy,a team some way above Hurlford in their league,from the competition.

For me the real surprise wasn't that Wishy more than matched the visitors,but rather,for reasons already mentioned elsewhere,they gave them such an easy hurl (:P) in the first half.

I don't doubt that Homer already has his plan in place for the second leg and,if his starting eleven includes Vinny McGuire,a player who certainly won't be fazed by the occasion,who provides a physical presence,and who's capable of scoring against any opposition,then I'll be more than happy.

Whatever the line-up I genuinely believe that this Wishaw team will progress to the final.

Going to the end of the line :thumsup2.......

7 hours ago, tommyboy said:

I don't doubt that Homer already has his plan in place for the second leg and,if his starting eleven includes Vinny McGuire,a player who certainly won't be fazed by the occasion,who provides a physical presence,and who's capable of scoring against any opposition,then I'll be more than happy.

Whatever the line-up I genuinely believe that this Wishaw team will progress to the final.

I hope you're right, Tommy (although personally I doubt it) and with Wishy 3/1 for Saturday's match and out to 25/1 for the Cup itself, you could give the bookies a bit of a hammering in the process.

If the teams play like they did in the first half at the Beltane, the Ford will coast it. If they play like the 2nd, Wishy have a great shout although they need to be able to finish off the chances the talented lads like Kindlan and Coffey create.  I doubt Hurlford will concede two goals softly, let's hope Vinny or whoever leads the line on Saturday is sharp enough to take the opportunities when they present themselves. Whether Wishy can do that or not it has been a fantastic journey and all credit to the players and officials who've got the club within touching distance of the final (something I never ever thought I would see in my puff).

Knowing what a fierce competitor Darren Henderson is (I remember seeing him play in the same Stranraer side as Tommy Sloan that romped to the 2nd Division title in 1994) he will have his players right up for it on Saturday so Wishy will have to surpass that wonderful show against Rob Roy (playing away and starting a goal behind) to get through. Might be a bit too much to ask but they've kept surprising me right throughout so please, please prove me wrong (again!) and let's hope by Sunday the Wishaw secretary is opening negotiations with Nicholas McDonald's agent for the souvenir Cup Final disc.

12 hours ago, ForzaWishy said:

I hope you're right, Tommy (although personally I doubt it) and with Wishy 3/1 for Saturday's match and out to 25/1 for the Cup itself, you could give the bookies a bit of a hammering in the process.

If the teams play like they did in the first half at the Beltane, the Ford will coast it. If they play like the 2nd, Wishy have a great shout although they need to be able to finish off the chances the talented lads like Kindlan and Coffey create.  I doubt Hurlford will concede two goals softly, let's hope Vinny or whoever leads the line on Saturday is sharp enough to take the opportunities when they present themselves. Whether Wishy can do that or not it has been a fantastic journey and all credit to the players and officials who've got the club within touching distance of the final (something I never ever thought I would see in my puff).

Knowing what a fierce competitor Darren Henderson is (I remember seeing him play in the same Stranraer side as Tommy Sloan that romped to the 2nd Division title in 1994) he will have his players right up for it on Saturday so Wishy will have to surpass that wonderful show against Rob Roy (playing away and starting a goal behind) to get through. Might be a bit too much to ask but they've kept surprising me right throughout so please, please prove me wrong (again!) and let's hope by Sunday the Wishaw secretary is opening negotiations with Nicholas McDonald's agent for the souvenir Cup Final disc.

It is understandable that some of the Wishaw boys may have been nervous in the first half of last week's game as it will have been the biggest game of their careers, but they got through the first half and came to the party in the second half. I am sure that most people will agree that Wishaw deserved to get something out of the game!?

Anyhow, I for one, will be a happy man if Wishaw play as they can......and, if they do, they are great value with the bookies :) .......... (25/1 to win it sounds good to me ;) )

Home or Away, Wishaw have been outstanding this season - and I do not expect that to change tomorrow.......

C'mon the Wishy

12 hours ago, ForzaWishy said:

How about,Forza,we put the doubts and negativity to the side bud and take encouragement from the positives in last week's game when,in spite of Wishy playing at well below their usual level in the first half,Hurlford were far from 'coasting it'and went in at the break with only a 1 goal advantage.Add to this the fact that Wishaw were,as you say,the better side for most of the second 45 and but for an incorrect call on the disallowed goal would be heading to Blair Park on level terms,and there's much for the travelling punters to be optimistic about.

Of course there's no question that Darren Henderson is an excellent manager,as he proved in 2014,with the ability to motivate his players for a tie such as this,but when we look at Homer's playing career and his short stint in management,he certainly doesn't come across as a shrinking violet but rather as a guy who won't have any problems in getting his players up for this match.And surely the fact that they are only one game away from delivering Wishy's best result in living memory (unless auld Eric's been telling porkies aboot his age :huh:)must provide the guys with any extra motivation that's needed.

Keep believing bud and let's keep the old FDR quote in mind...

'The only limit to our realisation of tomorrow will be our doubts of today'.:)

CTW !! 

Edited by tommyboy

22 hours ago, tommyboy said:

Exactly this wm,but should we really have expected that they would? After all,as Darren Henderson pointed out last week,Wishaw had previously dismissed Rob Roy,a team some way above Hurlford in their league,from the competition.

For me the real surprise wasn't that Wishy more than matched the visitors,but rather,for reasons already mentioned elsewhere,they gave them such an easy hurl (:P) in the first half.

Agree with the McGuire shout Tommy, different class when he comes on.

Play him up on his own, plenty strength and talent to play in others on the move.

A wee rub of the green and who knows?

2 minutes ago, wishyman said:

Play him up on his own, plenty strength and talent to play in others on the move.

Vinny has 24 goals from 16 starts - surely  it's a no brainer that he starts tomorrow.......!?

19 minutes ago, wishyman said:

Yup,nobody better at holding up the ball and playing in his team mates,wm.

20 minutes ago, Didye Aye said:

Vinny has 24 goals from 16 starts - surely  it's a no brainer that he starts tomorrow.......!?

Vinny has scored for fun all the way through his Youth/Ammy and Junior career.The fact that he's also known for converting some outrageous free-kicks certainly gives Wishy some useful options in a game where there's sure to be some tasty tackling,bud.:)

7 minutes ago, tommyboy said:

Vinny has scored for fun all the way through his Youth/Ammy and Junior career.The fact that he's also known for converting some outrageous free-kicks certainly gives Wishy some useful options in a game where there's sure to be some tasty tackling,bud.:)

Haha, the first game was played in a fair manner so I don't know about the "tasty" tackles - but I'm sure there will be fouls in some decent areas which Vinny and others can exploit :) .

It is great to be looking forward to such an occasion and hopefully victory will come to Wishy......... even if it's in a penalty shoot out :D

COYW 

2 minutes ago, Didye Aye said:

Haha, the first game was played in a fair manner so I don't know about the "tasty" tackles - but I'm sure there will be fouls in some decent areas which Vinny and others can exploit :) .

It is great to be looking forward to such an occasion and hopefully victory will come to Wishy......... even if it's in a penalty shoot out :D

COYW 

That's very true but as there's no second chance in this all-or nothing game,I'll be very surprised if there isn't just a tad more physicality on show in the closing stages tomorrow.

Whatever the outcome..and I really do believe that Wishy will win...it is indeed great to be looking forward to such a game and kudos to all at the Beltane for making it possible.

Who could ever have guessed  that a punt on Wishy could result in having enough in the hippy to book a holiday in the type of resort favoured by the estimable Alec?  :huh:

:lol:

Heading down to see this game tomorrow as no Lok fixture and hoping for a decent contest.Heart would love to see Wishaw do it but I can’t see them overturning the result against a Hurlford side who are always powerful in the Scottish at home.

1 hour ago, Lokloyal said:

Heading down to see this game tomorrow as no Lok fixture and hoping for a decent contest.Heart would love to see Wishaw do it but I can’t see them overturning the result against a Hurlford side who are always powerful in the Scottish at home.

If you haven't seen Wishaw this season I'm sure that you will be impressed with the team tomorrow...... I have watched every game they have played this season - and it is on merit that they are playing in this stage of the biggest competition in junior football ......... 

my prediction is an away win :) 

47 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Afraid if Hurlford score first then the dream is over. Good luck to Wishaw but i think it's just beyond them.

There's a few people on this thread that mibbe  shouldnae apply to become motivational speakers any time soon :D .

Jeez, you'd think it was lambs to the slaughter tomorrow!

KRR beat Hurlford 5-2 at Blair Park - and not that long ago! 

I don't care who scores first - if Wishy turn up they WILL win - and of that there is no doubt!

C'mon the Wishy boys!!

8 minutes ago, ex-german exile said:

No, they didn't.

It was 5-1 emoji102.pngemoji102.pngemoji102.pngemoji102.png

Lol, cheers ex-german exile, I was in "rant" mode there for a minute ..... but I'm scunnered hearing that Wishy can't do it :(

I can't wait for the game tomorrow........ but I think I'm going to try to give P&B a miss tonight :D

i need to avoid the doubters ;)

I'm heading down to Hurlford tomorrow as we have no game ( Wishaw High School FPs from the amateur ranks ) and due to us playing on a Saturday as well so I really don't get to see much of the Juniors other than the odd friendly against them. However their cup run has certainly got the town buzzing and I'm sure there will be an excellent support down to cheer on the Wishy. All the best to ALL at the Beltane and hopefully you can make it through to the final. Good luck lads.

1 hour ago, Didye Aye said:

There's a few people on this thread that mibbe  shouldnae apply to become motivational speakers any time soon :D .

Jeez, you'd think it was lambs to the slaughter tomorrow!

KRR beat Hurlford 5-2 at Blair Park - and not that long ago! 

I don't care who scores first - if Wishy turn up they WILL win - and of that there is no doubt!

C'mon the Wishy boys!!

Up until 2 weeks ago you only made one post about Wishaw in a year.

Where have you been?

I've been praising Wishaw for months to the point of embarrassment at the lack of Wishaw posters on here.

1 hour ago, GAVT67 said:

I'm heading down to Hurlford tomorrow as we have no game ( Wishaw High School FPs from the amateur ranks ) and due to us playing on a Saturday as well so I really don't get to see much of the Juniors other than the odd friendly against them. However their cup run has certainly got the town buzzing and I'm sure there will be an excellent support down to cheer on the Wishy. All the best to ALL at the Beltane and hopefully you can make it through to the final. Good luck lads.

There are free buses leaving from both Wishaw and Hamilton tomorrow,Gav. I'm not sure of the times but if you PM the Wishaw secretary on here he'll give you the info.